1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What did we expect?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by fortdick, Nov 6, 2012.

1. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I looked back at the schedule and my predictions when it first came out. Like a lot of people here, I believed the team would be 10-6. I may have posted 11-5, but I believed 10-6. Still do.

Realistically, I believed we would be 4-4 at this point of the seaosn. The only two things that did not go as I figured was we lost to a Seatlle team that was better than I understood before the season, and we beat the Giants at their place and lost at home. I thought it would be the other way around.

From this point on, I felt we would go 6-2 and end up 10-6. I expected to lose on the the Eagles and probably the Steelers.

Now, we have to win one of those two games to be right where I thought we would be. Can we beat the Steelers? Sure. They barely squeezed by the Giants and they don't look all that impressive right now.

Can we sweep the Eagles? I believe we can.

So, at the halfway point, I think we are close to where I thought we would be.

All the haters can say what they want, but this seaosn is far from over. Even 9-7 can get a WC berth.
  2. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,027 Messages
    667 Likes Received
    :lmao: :laugh2: :lmao: :laugh2:
  3. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    1,647 Likes Received
    Why does a recognition of reality always bring the "hater" label from so many?

I do appreciate the fanatical optimism of some, but how can anyone who watches this team function on a weekly basis expect to win 6 or 7 of the next 8 games?
  4. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I watch them every week and I believe they can win 7 of the next 8.
  5. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,027 Messages
    667 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

I hope so man, I watch them as well, all I see is a hard playing defense, and an offensive game plan designed to sabotage the defense's effort
  6. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,597 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I don't know about "we," but "I" expected the offense to do at least what it did last year, the defense to be significantly improved and for the team to win more than 8 games.
  7. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,117 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    I expected 8 or 9 wins, but I also didn't expect to win at the meadowlands. Expectations change over the course of a season.
  8. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,100 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  9. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Swapping out Kosier for Bernadeau was a terrible mistake. We could have even kept Holland. Hell, Buehler would have been better at guard.

That being said, the offense will look at lot better once Murray gets back and we get Jones off the field.
  10. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,452 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Because some people see what they choose to see, rather than what reality shows them.

Reality shows a team that can't consistantly beat the league's good teams and one who can't string two consecutive victories together.

But some fans choose to see a team that's about to turn the corner, despite what the on-field performance and won-loss record shows.

And anyone who doesn't have the same blinders on is summarily labeled as a 'hater'.
  11. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Sounds like hating to me!

I am disappointed Stash. You always seemed a believer to me before. I have agreed with you in many a post. It is sad to see you jump in with the quitters.
  12. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,739 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    I expected good improvement from the defense. So far, they've exceed my expectations.

I was also sucked into thinking the offense would be explosive and that our offseason additions would help. That has been way wrong.

I expected our head coach and overall team to be much improved. But, again, wrong there. The team is as listless and disorganized as ever.

So far, the team has been a major letdown and I have little hope they can turn things around.

I believe that the Garrett-led Cowboys will always be what they have been. Not great, not good, not bad, not awful. Simply OK. Nothing to get worked up about.
  13. LittleD

LittleD Active Member

851 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Just "Dream a little dream of me".

You're livin in the land of oz, my friend...
  14. MaineBoy

MaineBoy Member

428 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    "Can we beat the Steelers? Sure. They barely squeezed by the Giants and they don't look all that impressive right now."

You do realize that the refs essentially gave the Giants 2 touchdowns with some terrible calls on a pass interference, illegal hit in the end zone, and a fumble (without also calling a blatant clip) ? So the Steelers had to overcome 2 free touchdowns given to the Giants in Giant Stadium and still came back to beat them without letting Eli do his usual heroics. Maybe we can beat the Steelers on any given day (probably not) but to call the Steelers struggling ? I dont know...they are only 1 game behind the Ravens for their division lead.

Our team on the other hand seems to be fatally flawed as each part, and the coaches, takes turn making the fatal error week after week.
  15. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,597 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Well, that doesn't characterize all of us. Some of us see a team who loses because it can't play smart football. I put it this way on another board... (after the 2nd Giants game)

This may be splitting hairs, but I would characterize the Cowboys as an above average team that plays dumb football. No one comes in and rolls us with superior offense. The only way defenses stop us is taking the ball away. And I know that "creating turnovers" is part of playing defense, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that well-prepared, well-disciplined football players don't run up the backs of their offensive linemen and drop footballs or continually make dangerous receptions and carry the ball like a loaf of bread on punt returns. And I don't think anyone can rationally credit all of Romo's *13* INT's to great defense. Is it a coincidence that the Cowboys rank #7 in offense and #4 on defense, but #23 in points scored and #15 in points given up?

This team loses because protecting the football isn't a priority, because it commits tons of penalties at the stupidest times, and because Jason Garrett makes stupid game management decisions week after week after week. There's a complete absence of situational awareness by players on the field that I would think should be simple common sense. I think it's obvious to everyone in the world outside of Valley Ranch that there's just not much attention to detail in Dallas.

There's plenty of blame to go around, and it starts at the top. Jerry is an idiot who can't seem to see that his meddlesome style of ownership doesn't work. Garrett is in way over his head. He makes bad decisions week in and week out, mostly on the most basic of calls that half of America could make from its couch. Then you have players who lack discipline and do the same boneheaded crap every week. You'd think the Keystone Cops routine would get embarrassing after a little while, but I guess that kind of comedic play is ok in Dallas. I'm sure everyone in the organization has pride, but it sure doesn't seem like any of them learn anything from the plethora of mistakes they continue to make.

But I'm the eternal optimist. I go into every game thinking this is the week we'll turn it around. And maybe it makes me an idiot too, but I think it can happen. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Cowboys play an error-free game next Sunday night and pull out a win. I think they're capable. They just have to nut up on the field and quit playing with their brains on the bench.

(Obviously Dallas lost Sunday night, but I saw nothing during that game that changed my mind.)
  16. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,747 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    It's sad that FANS like you don't know the difference between a "hater" and a "realist." REALISTICALLY this season is over for the Cowboys they're a poorly coached, inconsistent team that's dug themselves too deep a hole to climb their way out of. That's not being hateful it's being honest. What we've been seeing the past 3 seasons isn't all of a sudden going to magically change in the next 8 games. Just to have a prayer at a playoff birth the Cowboys would have to go 6-2 and based on what we've seen of this team under Garrett that simply isn't going to happen.

The team has talent but it's NOT a good football team because it's poorly coached, disorganized and undisciplined. The only thing consistent about this team is it's ability to find ways to lose every week. That's not hating it's telling it like it is. I know you won't read this you claim you have me on ignore because you can't bare reading the truth. The truth hurts FANS and realists.
  17. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,452 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I think you're misguided in this whole 'hater' thing.

Don't project this current situation as having anything to do with a fan.

I didn't do anything to sabotage this team and all my hopes and dreams won't do anything to save it.

The fault and blame do not lie with the fans, but with those who have disappointed us.

It's not my job to support a mediocre product with my time and money.

It is the job of the owner, GM, coaches and players to make me want to.

To give me a reason to.

The onus is on them, not on me.

If you want to label folks who are disappointed and down as 'haters', you can also label those who blindly follow this disappointing group as 'suckers'.

You wouldn't spend your money on a clearly inferior product, no matter the market. Why should you make an exception when it comes to business as sport?

The Cowboys are and always will be my team, but I'm not riding this roller-coaster of disappointment anymore.

Not until this group gives me a reason to become emotionally invested in what they're doing again.

Right now, I'm apothetic.
  18. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,051 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    I think 9-7 may win this division.
  19. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

2,977 Messages
    343 Likes Received
    I expected 8-8 at best at first then after the seattle game I expected 6-10 so no suprise here. But you know one wild card is for sure the bears or packers that leaves only one and no way we get it. I say saints make a huge comeback and grab the remaining wild card!!! Seasons been over for a while now. These late losses are just for the homers so itll sink in.
  20. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,382 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    I expected somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7. With the O-line they rolled out this season, they needed some breaks and great coaching to do any better. Predictably, neither has happened up to this point.