1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What do trades always get shot down immediately here?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Supercowboy1986, Sep 28, 2012.

1. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would also add that with the availability of FAs now as opposed to pre-1990, means that it is far less advantageous for a team to trade for a player than it is to simply see what is available on the FA market. Why should we give up a player or picks if we can simply sign a guy?

The only players that seem to get traded now are guys on the downside of their careers (Carson Palmer or Donovan McNabb for instance) or backups and it is almost always for draft picks, not for other players.

One of the last big name player-for-player trades I can think of was Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey plus a high pick (2nd?) but that was in 2004.

Here is an article from earlier this year (just prior to the draft) that talks about why player-for-player trades are rare in the NFL: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/24/sports/football/player-for-player-trades-remain-nfl-rarity.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

So all of that (and what BrainPaint posted) to say that "this ain't Madden" so when trades are proposed they are usually ridiculous and extremely far-fetched so they get shot down by most of the posters here.

I usually refrain from commenting on trade proposals since my negative opinion would probably not be welcomed on top of all the other negative ones already posted. Plus it would serve no real purpose as the poster would simply come up with what he considers a more equitable trade as a counter but it is usually just as unlikely.
  2. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    jenkins for a good guard, center, or tackle. They could throw in Felix for a sweetner.
  3. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,261 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Sticky Please.
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Two words....Roy Williams
  5. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    /thread
  6. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,094 Messages
    818 Likes Received
    Tupac and 2 pairs of monster beats for some sister kisses .....

Go .....
  7. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    The only person that I think I'd be willing to trade is Felix Jones...and at this point we can't get anything for Felix.
  8. AmericasTeam81

AmericasTeam81 Active Member

459 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    POST OF THE CENTURY
  9. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,220 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    coakley for *insert name of pro bowl OLman*
  10. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,742 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    Great post, agree with all of it and will add:

Everytime a star player on another team gets injured and is lost for the season, someone will post that we should trade one of our star players tio that team for a first rounder and a player. Case in point, when Revis got injured, there was a post here about trading Jenkins to the Jets; nevermind that our star CB is now going to be playing Safety because of injuries, ane we need Jenkins to replace him. Most trade suggestions lack common sense.
  11. 30yrheel

30yrheel Well-Known Member

2,747 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    because real life isn't madden or fantasy football.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Happy New Year! Staff Member

21,124 Messages
    1,975 Likes Received
    How often do you see player for player trades????
  13. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    About as often as you see this board sane.
  14. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,408 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    You went there....hilarious. Thanks.

But BP indeed has it pretty much locked down.
  15. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received

I think trades that propose getting a starter from another team and we give up one of our 2nd stringers or a couple of our second stringers get flamed big time here.

Realistically when trying to trade for a starter we will have to give up a player or draft pick that has equal value. Also if the Cowboys are the one initiating the trade, they must always be the side giving up more.

Two trades that built out last dynasty were Herschel to Minny for all those picks and Hailey from the Niners. Minnesota Gm thought he was one player away from the Super Bowl. While the Niners were fed up with Charles and just wanted him of the team.
  16. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    This is true, but still people come up with the most ridiculous trade ideas like trading Felix for a 2nd, I think the very best we could get is a 7th.

I think we were offered a 4th for Jenkins by the Colts. No one seems to understand how teams value their own draft picks and how fans overvalue their team's players.
  17. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Because no one on here has the power to make a trade, so what difference does it make?
  18. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,743 Messages
    415 Likes Received
    Good ole designated dex.
  19. SHAMSzy

SHAMSzy Active Member

362 Messages
    178 Likes Received
    Simple - because this isn't the NBA. Player for player trades in the NFL come in a blue moon. And if they do it is impossible to predict. So you are wasting your time.
  20. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,408 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    When was the last big one ? Champ and Portis ? Otherwise it is (which that trades included, picks involved) extremely rare.