1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What does everyone think of Livings at LG?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyChris, Nov 29, 2012.

1. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,660 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    what does everyone think of Livings at LG? good or bad signing?
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,873 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    Solid. I like the move.

I'm sure as soon as we get the rest of the oline squared away he'll be the next guy to start playing terrible though.
  3. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    It is an upgrade, but barely. He is probably the best Oline we have had all year. Too bad Tyron has struggled.

I think we should make a run at Jake Long.

:lmao2:
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,654 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    I think a team could win with the OG play we're getting right now. I don't like the backup options other than Kowalski, though.

Mack started really slowly, but his play has leveled off as he's gotten back into football shape and logged some starts.

What's interesting to me is that, in only a few games, Parnell has looked roughly as good as Smith has. And that's not solely a compliment to Parnell. Smith's slumped in this sophomore year, and Parnell looks like he should be elevated to RT as soon as Smith gets back in the lineup. Or maybe we try Smith at RT and leave Parnell where he's at.
  5. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Unlike some others on this Team he is playing hurt.

He has had a significant knee injury he has played through without whining about it.

If only he could teach Jenkins and Felix about this.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    Decent enough but I'd still very much like to improve on that position if we can.
  7. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

5,950 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    Livings has been a solid starter. For the money, decent signing.

Bernadeau has been up/down and would've been ideal as a good versatile backup, not as a starter. Still, for the money, not a bad signing. Whether he's solid/good starter is another question.

Looking forward to next season, we must seriously upgrade 1 interior OL spot and also replace Free at RT. Realistically 2 new starters on the OL is probably all we're going to see. I really like Parnell if he has the entire offseason to practice at RT. We'll probably be drafting in the teens so it's highly unlikely an OG or OC is selected there. Perhaps we grab one in the 2nd round.

On another note, i've been watching Parnell and he may be the best run blocker we have. Hopefully coachscout chimes in at some point with player evaluations. But this guy mauls people.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,036 Messages
    4,200 Likes Received
    It'll be more like his warts will show. On a good line, everybody would be looking to replace him.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,036 Messages
    4,200 Likes Received
    Wow. I'm literally at a loss for words over that statement.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,311 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    You have some good points on Parnell.

Livings has not been better than Holland would have been. He is a low-tier free agent.that has been a problem in a problem area. He should be easy to upgrade.
  11. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

3,838 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    He's a good (not great) filler until we find the long-term answer. I don't think that he has much of a future with the team beyond a couple of years.
  12. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus New Member

1,737 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Better than I expected, to be honest. JAG, but that's better than our situation at C or RG.
  13. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,092 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    It is going to be hard enough to upgrade 4 positions as it is on the O-line. I think he is fine there, keep Smith at LT (unless a stud LT in the draft and move Smith to RT), let Costa hold center and the scouts focus on RG and RT.

This team still needs to work on the defensive line too., not to mention a safety.

Just saying there are too many needs to change up 4 guys on one side of the ball, Livings, Costa and Smith should stay put. If there is money left, then maybe try and upgrade center, but it is not a necessity IMO.
  14. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    True, but ignored by most. This team has alot of needs, and while we should concentrate on upgrading the OL in free agency, it wouldn't be smart at all to go into the draft with an OL or bust mentality.

Hopefully we can address some needs in free agency so we can get the BPA in the draft.
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,311 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    You have no worry. Jerry is not going to spend quality draft picks on the line anyway. He could use one second or third round pick every year and keep a young quality line on the field. First round picks are not needed.
    I disagree with building the line with free agents. They are too expensive and the quality is not there unless the team overpays. This last draft was an excellent time to fix many of the problems on the line, but the team decided to trade up and burn picks which made this draft a one starter draft.

The oline is the biggest positional unit on either side of the ball and draft picks should be used accordingly. The line are the only positions that has a direct impact on QB,RB and WR positions and good line play even keeps the defense fresh. They are worth the investment to a real football GM.
  16. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,131 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Thumbs up on the signing, he's been solid. Unless anyone wants to replace four starters for next season, I'd be fine to see him back at LG again. There's plenty of work to do elsewhere on the line.

I really hope they've got the good sense to keep Parnell out there at RT after Smith returns at LT. We've seen what Free can do, might as well give Parnell the rest of the season to show what he's got.
  17. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    Let me put it this way, I want to upgrade, but don't think LG is the 1st second, or third priority.
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,397 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    When Livings is your fourth of fifth best lineman you are fine. When he is your second best you are in big trouble.
  19. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,131 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Yep, I'd put LG as 4th priority on the line for the offseason.
  20. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,326 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    About how I felt about Holland at LG ... only healthier (or at least able to play through his injuries).

To sum it up: He's a good place-holder until Dallas can get around to addressing his spot. Right now, RG, C and RT are bigger needs (and I admit to being disappointed that RT is a need because I was hopeful Free would bounce back).