1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What does the team actually think about Sam Young?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheCount, Apr 23, 2011.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,858 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    I don't know if anyone would have any insight on this, but is there a chance they think Young can actually play RT next year?
  2. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,463 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    i dont know and i dont know if we want to risk it. He couldnt get in over marc "can't move and block" columbo. If he can great but I rather draft and make sure or atleast pick someone up in FA.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    no way is Young ready to start. He is a raw long time development project. many people had Young rated as a UDFA. It took Free 4 years to get on the feild and he was much more ready and better than Young.
  4. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,824 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    He should have started at the end of the year. Sink or swim.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,858 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    Yeah, I didn't understand that. Why didn't Young get any PT at the end of the year? It was pretty strange.

The only reason I bring this up is because I don't want to be caught off guard when we don't take a tackle and then you hear Jerry saying they have faith Sam Young can start, meanwhile no one has ever seen the kid.
  6. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Based on things I have heard the Cowboys are very high on his long term potential. The team really was not comfortable with his growth towards the end of the year and did not feel he was ready which is why you did not see him on the field.

I fully expect him to make a push this year. People I know close to Young say he has been working very hard this offseason and had changed his physical makeup and become much stronger.

I think he's going to see the field A LOT as a starter in preseason, should we have one! :(
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,633 Messages
    3,355 Likes Received
    There's only one answer as to why Young didn't play last year. An aging and unhealthy Colombo was better than he was.
  8. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Not the entire story at all. If you think releasing Columbo this year is going to be an easy move for Garrett it's not. There is some loyalty and respect there with Garrett that will make it a hard move.

It's easy to say Columbo was better then Young because one played and one did not but it's not that simple.
  9. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I say draft one of the OT's and maybe we never have to find out
  10. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,360 Messages
    826 Likes Received
    that is moronic. OT need time to develop. Doug Free -- a guy who we really liked from day 1 -- didn't start until the middle of his 2nd year. That's pretty much what a late round OT needs to do in order to develop. Teams expect that when the draft guys.

But hey, if you say "sink or swim" that must be the right way to develop them.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,560 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Most of our fans haven't the foggiest notion what goes into developing a starting OL. It's the same group that was falling all over itself calling Doug Free a bust for 3 years--the hardest core of which still wants to move him to RT.

We're probably expecting Young to make a legitimate push for playing time in year three--once he's worked on his strength sufficiently and addressed everything he needs to work on with his footwork and fundamentals.

I also think the team understands Colombo was playing with turf toe at the end of last season and that that contributed to how poorly he was playing at the end of the year. He may well get hurt again next season, but it's a pretty safe bet they're expecting him to improve over last year's performance if they need to count on him to start.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Well maybe because we see other teams able to develope OL in one or two years and wonder why it takes us so much longer. Or maybe the fact that this team has developed ONE starting quality O LINEMAN in the last 8 years outside of Free. This staff has not earned itself any trust at all as regards drafting and developing O line. So their claim they like Sam Young's long term potential MEANS NOTHING.
  13. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,785 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Based on the limited action he had in preseason, Young impressed me more in his first year than Free. There's definitely some potential there if he continues to develop and I think he could be the third OT this year. Unfortunately, youthful, developing players like Young are hurt the most the longer this lockout drags on.
  14. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,452 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    And why did Free start? Because the team felt he was ready?

No.

He started out of necessity when Colombo got hurt (again).

If that doesn't happen he's likely still on the bench.

Nobody gets a chance to play around here unless one of the guys the team is 'comfortable with' gets hurt. No matter if it's the last meaningless game of a failed season or otherwise.

You don't make your final decision one way or the other based on one game, but better to see a player in live action for that one game than not at all.
  15. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Miles Austin- he got his shot because Roy got hurt. Otherwise he would have still been a bit player.
  16. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Would love to know what the coaching staff thinks of both Young and Costa . It's easy to assume that these guys can't play because most folks havent read a article written by someone else that they could play. Scouting isn't easy for most of us especially on the o-line where there are no real stats to judge or compare to others.
  17. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,463 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    exacly i think our coaches need to give the young guys a chance sometimes. Just like you said if roy never got hurt miles would probably still be he number 3 wr. IDK if i trust our self scouting or if it was garretts or wades or even jerry's call to not let these young guys play over struggling veterans. We should atleast see what the guy has. I think sam young should have started the last game of the season. At that stage we should of had young people trying to showcase theirselfs and see what they had over struggling veterans.

McCray should of came in for ball.
    McCann should of seen more time in for jenkins (i love that McCann doesn't back down from no one he is always right there in their hip pocket, we might of found somethig in this young man.
    Sam Young should of definitly came in for Columbo but Sam young the last game just to guage what he learned and if he can convert it to the field.
    Heck even Phil Costa should of got alittle PT to see what he has.
  18. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Costa did get a little but was not very good. Hope he can improve. Despite Young coming from ND I have never wanted him or seen anything in him that indicates he can ever be more than a Colombo without fire.
  19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,436 Messages
    936 Likes Received
    If you checked draft history of other teams there are a lot of misses among the hits especially on the OL. The Cowboys just really haven't drafted a lot of them at any point.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,858 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    We got a starting LT, so that certainly helps out overall results.

What really bothers me is the way we seem to consistently rate oline later than they go, so it just so happens we are never in position to get any of the good ones.

If you've got a guy rated in the third and he goes in the second then you can just shrug your shoulders and say, "We would have TOTALLY drafted him if he were there in the 3rd!".

Meanwhile that guy is starting elsewhere and doing just fine, and we end up with Brewster and Marten.