1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What era would you want to live in?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by ninja, Mar 12, 2009.

1. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,848 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    If you could choose. For ex., Stone Ages, Discovery of America timeframe, Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWII, present, etc.
  2. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Mid 1800's. I'd be a mountain man in the Rockies.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If I could pick I would pick two...

First choice would be at the time of Jesus.

Second choice, I would want to be a teen in the 60's so I had more awareness of what this country was going through at the time. I was a child during that time but I didn't focus on the political climate then.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,207 Likes Received
    I like the era we are in right now overall. If I had to choose another era though...

The Old West and the gunfighters. I'd probably be dead very young, but I love that age of our History.

A close 2nd would be WWII era. I think they are the greatest generation of Americans ever. I respect no one more than I do WWII veterans.
  5. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1975 was my favorite year, so I'm partial to that era. Four years later, I could tell Tex to draft Joe Montana.
  6. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I loved the 1970s.

I wouldn't want to go too far back, because I really like indoor plumbing, electricity, and modern medicine, and I wouldn't want to go too far into the future. I don't think I would like it.

I guess I would have liked to have been born in the late 1940s, so I could have been alive during the 1950s -- my favorite decade other than the 70s.
  7. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This, and throw in the 1960's for the cars and the music.

Open Range, Saving private Ryan, and American Graffiti. I like.
  8. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Given all the comforts and conveniences we have now, I can't imagine at living at another time.

My hunch is that if most of us were transported to the past, we'd be shocked at how much for granted we take things like transportation, plumbing, communication, food delivery, etc.
  9. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    True, but I'm under the assumption that we aren't traveling back in time, so if we had been born in the particular time, we wouldn't have any knowledge of our current era.

If I hadn't heard of the internet, I'd damn sure be fine without it. Hell, I was fine without it 8 years ago.

I think the only thing I'd really not be looking forward to in those bygone eras would be the way people smell. Pre-plumbing B.O. is not something I'd grow to be fond of.
  10. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think that being part of the upper-class in New York during the roaring 20's would have been quite an experience. Going back to ancient Athens and witnessing the birth of democracy would be pretty cool too.

Rome at it's height.
    Early-modern Paris.
    Pleasentville style 1950's.
    The old west.
    The 60's

It's really too hard to choose.
  11. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The Old West. I would cut out a swath of Texas and hire the best ranch hands on that side of the ole Mississip.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,314 Messages
    4,648 Likes Received
    So many different times and places would be cool.

The old West.

Or being a mountain man and trapper.

How about during the gold rush and hitting it big, plus using it to buy huge areas of land.

Also think it would be cool to be a top lord in Japan with samurais under you command.

How about being a privateer when you had legal letters of mark to attack ships on the seas and steal the treasures.

Being in Rome during its glory years.

The 60s and 70s would be cool for the guitar rock music and so many great bands still together and in their primes.

So many different times, it would be hard to chose one.
  13. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    My first thought is Post WWII, the time when America was just gaining it's strength.
  14. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

That would be fantastic. I would love to be a pirat...er privateer. :p:

Sailing one of those huge vessels. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Always was a dream of mine as a kid. :)
  15. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,314 Messages
    4,648 Likes Received
    Yeah...I made sure to say pirate with letters of mark (sp?)...of course they were pirates but they could get a way with some things until that changed.

But man that would be cool for a short time.
  16. WarC

WarC Active Member

1,521 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd want to be a professional man-at-arms in feudal medieval mainland Europe. Just kinda drinkin' and partyin' my way from Lord to Lord. Warrin' and Guardin' and carryin' on. That might be fun. The medicine would suck though.
  17. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    if i could live through the diseases id love to live through the renascence and the dark ages of Europe that would be awesome imo
  18. DCgirl13

DCgirl13 New Member

380 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like the era we are in now, I just wish everyone weren't so self centered and only caring about themselves. I also miss the times of neighborhood. I don't know anyone's names except my immediate neighbors on my street because they never come out. The ones that do don't speak english and blast their crappy music so I choose not to talk to them.
  19. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,431 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    I've always been fascinated in the early Romans and Greeks, so I'd choose one of those.

Secondly, I'd choose the US, during the heyday's of the Fords, Gettys, DuPonts, Flaglers, Dukes, Carnegies, Vanderbilts and Astors.

I'd of made a great robber baron!

:p:
  20. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,207 Likes Received
    My absolute favorite movie.