1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What exactly do people want?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by gimmesix, Jan 12, 2013.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,459 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    Heading into this offseason, fans on here wanted change because the direction Dallas has been heading hasn't been getting them anywhere.

Jerry Jones promised things were going to be "uncomfortable" after an 8-8 season and then Skip Peete is let go, Ryan is replaced by Monte Kiffin and there are rumors that Jones is trying to get rid of John Garrett and wants his head coach to give up head coaching duties.

Now, people are mad that Jerry the GM is seemingly forcing these changes on his coach. Would everyone be happier if Jerry did nothing, Jason did nothing and everything remained like it was last year?

I know some here are going to always cry over anything Jerry does because they want to get rid of him. Obviously, that's not going to happen.

The best thing that could happen is for Garrett to voluntarily make these changes. Some might think it's best if Garrett was fired. But if those things are not going to happen, isn't it better to have Jerry the GM make changes than let everything remain the same?

Now, I don't know how many of these changes are Garrett's idea and how many are Jerry's, I'm just glad we're not standing pat. There is room for improvement in the way the defense was ran, and there's room for improvement in the way the offense was ran. I'm happy someone is trying to improve those things.
  2. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Garrett gone. That's what I want.
  3. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    To whine and moan regardless of what happens.
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,079 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    This .....
  5. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,459 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    So let's say that's not going to happen, because it doesn't look like it will. Are you planning to just complain about it or hope for other changes, no matter who makes them, that can possibly improve this team under Garrett?
  6. BanditHiro

BanditHiro Well-Known Member

2,542 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    Jason Garrett gone, and a good pass rush.
  7. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    I was fine with Ryan as DC coming back with a healthy defense coming back. If a change had to be made, then wait for Capers to become a free agent and have his pal Jason Garrett give him a call.

Instead we now have Larry Lacewell calling the shots.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,751 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Well I ultimately want real personnel men running this team.

But short of that, I want the GM to decide if he wants to retain the coach or not. Either keep him or replace him. Then I want the head coach to decide the staff and play calling. The GM can worry about personnel. He has no business telling the head coach how to run his team. None whatsoever. If he doesn't like how he's running it, fire him. Don't make him a powerless figurehead. You can't win that way.

I basically want the Cowboys to run like a successful disciplined team. I don't think it's too much to ask.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,751 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    You probably think that's a typo but you actually worded it right. Jerry does want the head coach to give up head coach duties. And that's the problem.
  10. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,284 Messages
    911 Likes Received
    I want a direction.

What are we doing? What's the plan? Does anyone know?
  11. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Garrett is staying, stop reading and feeding the media.
  12. noletime95

noletime95 Well-Known Member

1,097 Messages
    47 Likes Received
  13. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,142 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I like this post... You can't please everyone. I just pray they get an offensive play-caller in house soon!
  14. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,594 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    No. It only serves to neuter the coach.

If the owner wants things changed, and the coach is not willing to do it himself, then he should fire the coach. The coach, ostensibly, has been hired to oversee what goes on on the field, and has control over his coaching staff and who plays each week. If the coach does not have autonomy over his staff, then you have two problems. One, the staff is not loyal to the coach, because he didn't hire them. Second, the players see that the head coach is not the strongest person in the room, and know that they can go around him.

I'm not the biggest Garrett fan around. That being said, if changes need to be made, then he needs to make them. If he wants a new DC, then he should pull the trigger. If he doesn't want to call plays anymore, then he needs to make the decision on that. If he wants to stand pat, then he should have the liberty to do so, or be removed from his position. If he is not the originator of the decision, and the owner/GM decides that he wants those changes, then he should fire the coach.
  15. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,759 Messages
    707 Likes Received
    Good choice of words. Where are we going? Jerry's like the guy driving the car, who's lost and won't ask for directions, trying to convince everyone he knows where he is and where he's going, all the while just constantly turning down different roads.
  16. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.......exactly, and it's not like RS is the lone ranger here: MILLIONS of cowboys fans feel this way and JJ is doing a perfect Al Davis impersonation: he won't relent, won't change his ways and simply won't adapt. So...we'll continue to slog through 6-9 win seasons until he is gone.
  17. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,866 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    And that is what all of the whining is about. It's not really anything other than the fact some people want Garrett gone so any move made that is not firing Garrett will be a chance to insult Jerry Jones.

I guess I get to have a low stress offseason since I can live with or without Garrett. :D

/reality
  18. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,866 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    Millions huh? :D

/reality
  19. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,609 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    When you have to characterize the relationship between the coach and the team as 'his team' then you are just creating a circular argument. You define the conclusion in the premise.

The thing is that this is not 'his team.' In very few cases is that situation remotely accurate. Most places like say the Colts or Patriots with Pioli, it is a joint venture. It is 'their team.'

Some coaches that have been successful in 'their' situations fall short when they get 'his team.' Parcells on one end and Pioli on the other. What I want is a well run front office which is all of the above. We don't have that but just like your notion that its all about the trenches to the point of everything else being insignificant, it's an oversimplification.
  20. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....I've NEVER been a Red basher: more like a JJ basher because he's CLUELESS...yes, millions of cowboys fans think he is a dolt and should step aside and hire someone that knows what theyr'e doing: educated guess!