1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What FA's are available that might help?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by burmafrd, Dec 26, 2006.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Offhand we need a nasty Guard, a vicious pass rusher of some kind, and a FS that does not have the aroma of toast would be good as well.
  2. HTownCowboysFan

HTownCowboysFan New Member

1,912 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    FA is BS. You get a good guy here and there, but as far as impact players and building a team, do it in the draft.
  3. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    if we just get quality coaches, we can win with the same players that are here now...with some minor tewaking, we could be really good

David
  4. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,337 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Eric Steinbach from Cincinnati would really be an upgrade over Riveria. I agree most building is done though the draft, however you can add a piece here and there though FA, just don't try and buy a team like Washington does.
  5. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Steinbach would be the guy for me as well. 10 times the player Rivera is.
    The Pass Rusher (capitalized for a reason) is clearly something that pretty much has to be top priority. As I recall, getting Haley did it for the 90 teams.
  6. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,401 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    vicious pass rusher: Adalius Thomas
    guard: eric steinbach

just things to start it up.
  7. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    How much would those two cost us?
  8. DragonCowboy

5,401 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Thomas and Steinbach? Lemme see how much they're getting paid now...

EDIT: Here's Steinbach's contract:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Steinback signed a four-year, $3.63 million deal with the Bengals in July of 2003. LINK

[/FONT]Here are estimated costs for some of the FA prospects according to cboyzphan21 on http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1540206

Dwight Freeny= 5 yrs 60-65 mill and 20-25 signing bonus 12-13 mill a year
    Adalius Thomas= 5 yrs 40 mill and 15-20 signing bonus 8-9 mill a year
    Mike Gandy= around the same as Adalius Thomas
    Leonard Davis= 4 yrs 25 mill and 12 signing bonus 6.5 mill a year
    Eric Steinbach= Around the same as Leonard Davis but will probably get a 5 year deal
    Vincent Manuwai= 5 yrs 26 mill and 10 mill signing bonus 5 mill a year

According to the MaddHatter on the same website, we have about $21.1 million in cap room.

To all the people who know how the salary cap works, which of these players can we afford (if they're worth it)?

1. Adalius Thomas
    2. Eric Steinbach
    3. Ken Hamlin
    4. Josh Brown
  9. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    What we are paying TO......OK..... I'm ducking. :D
  10. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,903 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    FA wise we need to look at the following:

- A decent cover FS to compete with Watkins. Need a guy that doesn't cost too much, won't mind competing or sitting the bench. If we can get a Tyrone Carter type and Watkins improves to be a decent starting FS, we could do some good things with Roy and greatly improve our nickel. Of course, this would require Zimmer to think outside the box once in his life. I'm not really buying into Parrish since he's more of a SS and his skills have diminished since the leg injury. Plus, he probably won't come very cheap.

- ILB. Got two options here, go after the big price FA but pretty much only Lance Briggs will help since he's big enough to play the 3-4 and he's probably the best cover LB in the league. He won't come cheap and I know the team won't like spending that much money on ILB's, but he'd be worth it since it's difficult to find a guy his size who can play the run and cover so well.

- Steinbach, as mentioned. But he'll be pricey. If you can't get Briggs, then get Steinbach.

- 3rd down back. Personally I wouldn't mind trading Julius for a 2nd to 4th rounder if we can get a decent, low cost veteran 3rd down back. Move Barber to starter and hopefully we won't have to run him too much. Somebody like a Derrick Blaylock.

- Backup TE. Fasano is playing better, but we're asking too much for a guy without any real backup. We need another Ryan Hannam type that hopefully doesn't have a degenerative knee condition.

- Backup QB. Not sure who to go after here. Wouldn't mind Kyle Boller, but I'm gambling he either wants a chance to start or would want a ton of money if he's sitting on the bench. Maybe Tim Rattay since the Bucs have Simms and Gradkowski.

While I'm down on the team for their performance, I think we need to stay the course when it comes to the offseason. Build through the draft, supplement with reasonably priced FA's, and go after maybe 1 big name FA that won't break the bank and isn't over 30 years old (that's why I don't want Adalius Thomas).

YAKUZA
  11. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    If we stretched some things I bet we can sign both thomas and Steinbach.
    That really ups our O line and gives us another pass rusher big time.
    Pass rush really helps your secondary, so that would go a fair distance in solving that problem as well. Steinbach would allow us to run the ball better and give us better pass protection.
  12. McCordsville Cowboy

McCordsville Cowboy Pro-Quinn

4,315 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would taken Lecharles Bentley who can play either Guard or Center last year even though hes on IR now..
  13. Wrangler87

Wrangler87 Active Member

2,044 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I hate to say, but Garcia is a Free Agent. He might be a so-called system QB, but his game is very similar to Romo's. They could be easily interchanged.

Of course, he may choose to stay in Philly and compete with McNabb for the starting job.
  14. DragonCowboy

5,401 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Yakuza, if not by FA, are you hoping to pick up a pass rusher through the draft?

If so, which pass rushers catch your eye?
  15. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I do not recall anyone coming out this year with monster sack numbers. And lets face it- how many times have we drafted great college sack artists who did squat in the pros?
  16. Yakuza Rich

11,903 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    I prefer to build through the draft. LOLB that can rush the passer would be an area that I wouldn't mind going through FA to get if we can find a good one that's under 30 years old. But Adalius Thomas is 31 and wanting big $$$ so I'll pass.

Here's guys I'm interested in:

Gaines Adams (probably will be picked way before we get to him)

Quentin Moses

Anthony Spencer (may be too small)

Lawrence Jackson

YAKUZA
  17. Yakuza Rich

11,903 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    Yes, but DeMarcus Ware does say hello.

It's the maroon whose last name starts with the letter "Z" that's the problem.

YAKUZA
  18. Wonderboyromo

Wonderboyromo Active Member

1,093 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Shaun Phillips is Thomas gets taken. He is a great pass rusher.
  19. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,514 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
    Rivera is utterly horrible and is easily the most overpaid player on the roster.
  20. locked&loaded

locked&loaded its redskin season

2,785 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    our dends blow those are all tweeners. but victor abirami would own. but he woudl have to be 2nd round cuase were taking marshawn lynch