1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

what happened to rudy?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by iceberg, Jan 2, 2008.

1. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,107 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    did he get caught wearing womens lingere or something? he seems to be going down faster than a thai hooker.

also - i just noticed a lot of hilary signs say HILARY and not CLINTON. wonder how long that was debated behind the scenes. : )
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,320 Messages
    1,802 Likes Received
    I think Rudy plays well is some part of the nation and not so well in others. I don't see him winning the Republican nomination in the end.
  3. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He was never going to do well in Iowa, and when he bailed on the straw poll, that just cemented it.

He's pretty much passing on the early contests, hoping he can rebound on Super Tuesday and in the big California and Florida primaries which have been moved up in the schedule this election.

It's a risky strategy, relying on his war chest and name ID to carry his momentum for him.

Regardless of what happens, he'll be in the mix, but I don't see him winning the nomination if there's a credible alternative. I think Huckabee may be that guy, but he really needs to do well in Iowa to keep his momentum going.
  4. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rudy is alive and well, and he'll make a splash during Super Tuesday. As long as Romney loses Iowa and New Hampshire to Huckabee, Rudy will be fine.
  5. iceberg

28,107 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    thanks guys. i was watching the news and astounded rudy wasn't even a top 4 candidate there when he's been #1 just about everywhere else.

i think it's risky to pick and choose where you want to win but i can see why. my own opinion of him dropped quite a bit over it though.
  6. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed Rudy isnt actively campaigning in D.C. and Alaska. :rolleyes:
  7. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The nation's not ready for a president with a bad combover... :D
  8. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For better or worse, we have developed a system where all the candidates slug it out over these first two states head to head to see who's got what it takes for the long haul.

So no matter how you slice it, these aren't just two ordinary states when it comes to electoral politics.

Rudy didn't want to dedicate a huge amount of time and money organizing in states where his message and particular appeal doesn't really resonate as well, so he made a calculated decision to downplay those contests. We'll see if that gambit plays off.

He's helped tremendously by California and Florida moving up their contests so early. But in the end, this is a momentum game, and he's taking a definite risk in hoping he can keep his kite in the air through some initial doldrums.

Plus, you risk a guy like Huck or Romney catching fire and gaining some valuable intangibles that negates Rudy's name ID and money edges.
  9. iceberg

28,107 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    i think you'd want to focus on your weak areas and have your help continue with the areas you're already strong.
  10. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well if the Clinton campaign can't even spell Hillary right on their signs then they've got trouble.:D
  11. iceberg

28,107 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    heh - got me on that one. : )
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,039 Messages
    962 Likes Received
    Nope. You fight hardest in states which are up for grabs.
    It's all about delegates at the end.

No one cares who won Iowa a month later in most every election cycle.
    It helps lower seeded guys get mentions in the news but can also be bad. For Obama he now has Repubs taking shots at him for instance. When the head pops up above ground it is wack a mole time.

Rudy is trying to lay in the weeds and let everyone else get bad-mouthed for a few weeks. Rudy has a lot of dirt to keep covered up which should work fine for a while if he stays low profile.

If the Dems do not nominate Hillary, Rudy would benefit greatly.

There are so many machinations at work but in the end it will be Hillary versus Rudy in all likelihood.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Obama now up by 10+ in New Hampsire. Jt, your candidate is not looking so good right now.