1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What happened to this offense?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,093 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    ..about the players not liking Garrett, his playcalling or his class favorites.

TO was by light years the best WR Dallas has had since Michael Irvin and the current #88 has light years more to go before we are going to be winning any championships with him.

Garrett as we all can see is on a very very short leash..the shorter, the better.

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS:starspin
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,232 Messages
    7,023 Likes Received
    It never even crossed my mind that TO might have been right about the team. He's a cancer, and he's thankfully gone from the league. The team this year had more cohesion than any team in recent memory. Mostly because of its head coach...disappointed fans' willingness to read too much into what's going on this offseason notwithstanding.
  3. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,237 Messages
    865 Likes Received
    Can't believe that team didn't make the Superbowl. Probably the best chance we'll ever have as long as Jerry's around.
  4. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,137 Messages
    1,356 Likes Received
    - Releasing Terrell Owens (also his declining skills)
    - The allowed degradation of the offensive line
    - The lack of a running game
    - Uninspired and conservative play call by Jason Garrett
    - Inconsistent receiver play
  5. Galian Beast

9,137 Messages
    1,356 Likes Received
    except for those years where I don't know... we won 3 super bowls and the 1 year where we went to the NFC Championship?
  6. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,237 Messages
    865 Likes Received
    I had no idea???

Clearly, I'm talking about the post Jimmy-built teams.
  7. Galian Beast

9,137 Messages
    1,356 Likes Received
    So you're cherry picking then?

Only 10 organizations have won super bowls since the Dallas Cowboys won their last.

10 teams out of a current 32.

That is 31.25%

Only 16 teams out of a current 32 have even been to the Super Bowl since the Cowboys won their last.

That is 50%

Are we doing well? Clearly we aren't, but the reality is that it's harder to do than people give credit for, and that once you build a good team it can generally be good for a while. I believe there has been some mismanagement where we took one step forward, but two steps back.

The majority of these teams have quarterbacks or they have stout defenses. I believe when you have both you have a good chance at getting to the playoffs often, and the potential to win super bowls. I think we have a qb, I'd like to see a defense. I wouldn't mind a running game on top of it.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    no matter how hard you try you cannot pass the top Romo haters on this board.

So just go away. you are boring
  9. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,823 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Didn't they also take Barber and make him the starter after the 2007 season?
  10. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,881 Messages
    1,829 Likes Received
    You don't need a ton of yards per game to win, but you need a legitimate threat that you will run the ball, or you get what happened in the Washington game. They blitz blitz blitz.
  11. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,239 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    Fix the OL and we still be that good.

It all starts up front.
  12. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,658 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Fix the OL, the D will stink.

Fix the D, the OL will stink.

Pick your poison, either way we have too many holes to fill and probably still looking at 8-8.
  13. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Fix the o-line and find another weapon -- either by design (scheme) or adding another player who can make plays -- who can consistently be a threat. This offense has had only one reliable weapon over the past few years and that is Witten. Murray, Austin and Dez are all great weapons but they have not all been at the top of their game at the same time.

Tony also needs to be more responsible with the football.
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    That is part of it.

The other part is that, around week 13 or 14 of 2007, defenses figured out what JG is trying to do, and he has not adapted.
  15. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    And the third part, that no one seems to like recognizing, is T.O. left. The guy was arguably THE most dominant wideout of his generation and was the key cog in that 2007 offense.
  16. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,239 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    I agree. I think the light has finally gone on for Dez. They always say it's the 3rd year for WR's. We can hope he continues. I have hope for Harris and Hannah as new weapons. Witten has slowed down, but is still a weapon. Murray needs to stay healthy. If all those "if's" work out, then the weapons are fine. Not as much faith in the OL as it stands today.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 2013.
  17. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Same here!

Garrett needs to create opportunities for his weapons to make plays. They also need to add a weapon at the slot position. The key, unfortunately, is solidifying the o-line. I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed that this is a priority.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,322 Messages
    4,212 Likes Received
    Great question. Multifactoral answer.

Except for a period of 13 games in 2007 the offense has been average roughly speaking.

That's looking at the stats in general. My eyeball tells me the offense is at times unstoppable and at times inconceivably bad. Which means the problem is not just the personnel sucks completely nor does the play calling.

This team just doesn't play well, in general, for four quarters. If they can figure that out and plug some holes then we have the skill players to go all the way.
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    True but then even the OL players drafted by Parcells were bust. In my view it is not the lack of drafting OL players it is the failure of finding OL players who could play at this level.
  20. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,115 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    This team had a better offensive line... Tony a lot of the time could sit in the pocket for days and let the play develop down the field.