1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What happened to this offense?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Jan 23, 2013.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,517 Messages
    2,538 Likes Received
    We need more red zone opportunities (you mentioned takeaways), but we also need to do a much, much better job at scoring touchdowns in the red zone once we do get there.

That's on the offense, and it is a big problem.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,967 Messages
    5,348 Likes Received
    Not sure if serious...
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,967 Messages
    5,348 Likes Received
    I would always go OLine over anything else.

It helps everybody:

Better for the QB.
    Better for the RBs.
    Better for the WRs.
    Better for the Defense (time of possession).
    Better for the team (set the tone by running over people).
  4. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,125 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Romo and TO and Crayton really knew each other well.
  5. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,544 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    What's different in those highlights compared to now? How about TO burning defenses, Crayton making tough catch after tough catch and Marion Barber in beast mode out of the backfield?
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,183 Messages
    6,968 Likes Received
    Sure. But, at the end of the day, you're still talking about a top-10 offense when it comes to point/series. It's just that the opportunities for improvement happent to be obvious.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,154 Messages
    2,230 Likes Received
    Eroding (eroded) line.:eek::

Romo is a better overall player now than then.

Not perfect by any means--see crushing final pick vs Skins--but very, very good.
  8. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,474 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Really? SF and Balt run the ball and seem to be winning.

Did you really say you don't win running the ball?

Wow. That's a real in thing to say but very far from the truth.
  9. percyhoward

8,517 Messages
    2,538 Likes Received
    Points Per Drive during Romo Era
    Cowboys' NFL Rank
    2006: 3rd
    2007: 4th
    2008: 14th
    2009: 13th
    2010: 11th
    2011: 8th
    2012: 10th
  10. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,573 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    To me its seems like Garrett offense was figured out and he never adjusted.
  11. percyhoward

8,517 Messages
    2,538 Likes Received
    You have to be careful about all the little things that go into the ranking.

When we ranked 3rd and 4th in 2006 and 2007, obviously we had a much better group up front. We also had Sparano.

But also, our defense those two seasons caused more turnovers than it has since (with the exception of 2010, which was a big reason we were able to keep up the scoring pace without our starting QB that year). I'm starting to forget what it was like to have that kind of defense. Anyway, because of those takeaways, our starting field position was the best those two years -- 2006 and 2007. Where you start your drives has a definite effect on scoring.

Still, the thing that sticks out to me about 2006 and 2007 is all the rushing TD. 35 of them. It's getting hard to remember what that was like, too. And the more points you score, the more risks your opponent is forced to take, which leads to more takeaways for your defense.

It's safe to say that we need to improve in the red zone, whether that be running or passing. The former makes more sense than the latter, not only because there's more room for improvement there, but also because I believe a real run threat makes passing easier. I'll take it either way, but something has to be done in this area for this offense to reach its potential.
  12. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,348 Messages
    878 Likes Received
    I was OK with cutting Colombo because we drafted Tyron. I was OK with cutting Davis because we had an equal player in Holland at that point. I was not OK with cutting Gurode because we had no clue what we had in Costa.
  13. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,981 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    What happened to this offense?

Simple answer. We have gotten to predictable. We only use one formation and that is the shotgun.

Most of the big plays from Romo came on play action. We hardly use the play action anymore. That is a playcalling problem.

Secondly, our oline got old and most of them were cut. We didn't invest in an oline and we got this sorry oline that we have today.

Bring back our unpredictability and an improved oline and we will have that same offense once again.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,154 Messages
    2,230 Likes Received
    35 rushing TDs?!
    That's like 5-6 years worth using our pathetic rate lately
  15. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,123 Messages
    2,657 Likes Received
    Our offense never really got going, that was the problem. Its not like the first 5 or 6 games we struggled and then caught fire with the offense, that is not what happened.

Other than the Saints game (where we scored 14), there was not another game this season where we scored more than 10 points in the first half. I think we are the only team in the league that did that.

Now our offense did come alive in the 2nd half, usually because we trailed by multiple scores and we just let Romo play sandlot ball. We also ended the season scoring the fewest offensive points since 2007, Garrett's first year as OC.

All of this probably is what convinced Jerry to fire "Garrett the OC".
  16. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,123 Messages
    2,657 Likes Received
    In Idgit's defense, there was a very long thread on here a while back where AdamJT had all of these stats and numbers that showed the abiltiy to run the ball had almost no correlation with winning.

Personally, I think its a load of crap, because if that was the case then why dont you just pass the ball every down. And if the answer to that question is that you have to keep the defense honest, the question then becomes wouldnt a good running game keep the defense honest as well?

Anyway, whatever...........That is probably what Idgit was referring to.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,183 Messages
    6,968 Likes Received
    We script the first 15 plays. When there are execution problems, it can take several possessions to get that far. It's the adjustments that typically got the offense moving, which, in my opinion, is actually a good sign and not a bad one.

At the end of the day, though, we were still a top-10 offense in terms of points/possession, even with the turnovers, the pass blocking problems at RT and the multiple players and a brand new starter with no prior experience with the team at C. That's not too shabby.

And, yeah, that was exactly what I was referring to. I don't really care how ineffective the running game was (red zone and short yardage aside) as long as we're scoring points at a respectable clip.
  18. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yes sir.

20th in league for two straight seasons. Both under Garrett, who I am told is an offensive genius by many on this site.
  19. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,286 Messages
    1,721 Likes Received
    Yup, just what the fans wanted. Wanted Flo gone, Gurode, Colombo, Kosier, they got what they wanted. Yet still complain about it.
  20. Cowboysfan22

Cowboysfan22 Member

616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It has nothing to do with receivers it's about the O-line end of story.