1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What happened to this offense?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,117 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    those guys were bums. we have bill nagy and david arkin now. lol
  2. AZBOYZFAN

AZBOYZFAN Member

123 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You mean knowing every December that this team will lose like everyone of those games? Compared to now where those December loses turn into wins. Everyone just seems to dismiss the fact this team has had the chance to win the division with the final game of the season and the PLAYERS didnt pull it out. Sometimes the PLAYERS need to MAKE PLAYS
  3. AZBOYZFAN

AZBOYZFAN Member

123 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That you Jerry? O hey by the skill position players dont do squat w/o a solid line either oline or dline
  4. ryanbabs

ryanbabs Active Member

750 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Nice videos and thanks for sharing...and the memories. That season was so fun, but entered in so much dissapointment (and a game I had to personally watch). I've always believed part of the problem in the playoff loss to the Giants was Wade's decision to start Barber. It hadn't been done all year and threw him out of his element...as the closer. Missed his energy on third downs, etc.
  5. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,507 Messages
    2,500 Likes Received
    So will a team that goes 3-and-out all the time.
  6. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Correct. Advanced stats account for all those things, and it's not "just silly" because it doesn't allow your team to hide its flaws against hugely inferior opponents (like many that we faced this season).
  7. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Also, putting up 40 points on Oakland or KC is hugely different from putting up the same vs. Seattle or Denver.

Tons of teams score in garbage time vs 2nd and 3rd string opponents.

Also, starting a possession at your opponents 5 is kinda different than starting a possession at your own 5 yard line.

Advanced stats account for all of these things, and they all firmly rank Dallas below the top 15.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,100 Messages
    2,221 Likes Received
    What hugely inferior opponents were you referring to out of a 16 game schedule?
    Could you have been one of those on this board saying that about Seattle....at home no less?
    Maybe you mean Baltimore, Atlanta, New York twice, Washington twice, New Orleans, Cincy, Pittsburgh? Nah
    Philly struggled. But those are divison games and anything goes.
    TB maybe. But they were not hugely inferior.
    That leaves the 7-8-1 Rams. No pushover, but yes, we should and did beat them.

I'd say it was a pretty good schedule.
  9. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Uhh. Over 40% of the schedule had opponents that finished .500 or below. If you're truly a Cowboy fan, you should be irate that they have missed the playoffs over the last two seasons with such a weak strength of schedule.

We are not good (due to coaching), but teams like TB, Philly and Cleveland were not even in our league in terms of measureable suckage.

We beat a grand total of 1 playoff team, and that surely wasn't the product of a dominant offensive performance.

And yes, there's a big difference between putting up 7 points at Seattle, vs 34 against NO at home.

Advanced stats account for that. The simpleton "points/possession" stat does not.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,247 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    Not including 2006 if you look at our offensive stats you will see that the offense was great the first 13 games of 2007 and for the most part has been average since. Speaking in general. The defense had one great year and has been mostly average otherwise. Which is why we've been in general an average team.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,247 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    You didn't include the entire post. Yes, if they can play all four quarters like that do half the game, speaking in general, they can compete. If they fill some holes particularly on D then they can play with the big boys.
  12. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,804 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    I think Romo's is mostly to blame. He's more cautious, which I guess I can't complain about, but he also seems 'gun shy' so to speak. Been that way since the opener for the new stadium. The only time he really fires the ball anymore is when the team is in desperation mode toward the end of games.

Outside of that he's playing much smarter and not taking as many risks. So there are less mistakes, but then there are less 'wow' plays.
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Bill Nagy is with Detroit. Another NFL team scooped him up as soon as we released him. They've been raving about him ever since and expect him to start next year. (and if he does, the same people who claim he never had NFL talent will suddenly turn into "rue the day" people, the same way they did with his predecessor Stephen Peterman).

Colombo, Kosier, Bigg and Gurode on the other hand ....... Bigg is the only guy who even manages to maintain an NFL career as a reserve at this point, and that's just as an extra big body in jumbo packages. You're claiming we should have stuck with people that 31 other teams in the NFL don't think are worth rostering?
  14. 5StarComboBreaker

5StarComboBreaker Member

30 Messages
    0 Likes Received

This.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,100 Messages
    2,221 Likes Received
    You really shouldn't pull that "if you were a fan" garbage unless you know what you're talking about.

Dallas had the 5th roughest strength of schedule, with opponents having a record of 134-122.

I'm NOT even saying that they had a brutal schedule (which stats say they arguably did), but I was saying the schedule was not full of patises.

Anyway, of course I'm ticked that we haven't been to the playoffs in a few years.

However, I do not feel this team, with the players it had at the end of the season, was really a "playoff" team. Sure, they could have snuck in if they played a little better in Washington. They would have gotten smoked in the playoffs though.
    They were what their record said they were. I wish it was better.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,122 Messages
    6,929 Likes Received
    Well, duh. Thanks for pointing out that better defenses are harder to score against on a per-series basis. Everybody get that? I'll put that right up with your strength-of-schedule qualification in terms of how enlightening it is.

I think we all understand that there a circumstances where point/series can be affected one way or another. That doesn't mean the statistic isn't perfectly useful in comparing the relative effectiveness of offenses when it comes to offense-adjusted scoring.

But thanks for pointing out that 'advanced stats' account for 'things.' Those of us who thought points/series was the only way to measure NFL offenses are all pretty relieved over here. I think knowing the stats are 'advanced' in particular, is really encouraging. I *know* that hearing these 'advanced stats' all rank Dallas below the top 15 is very interesting. Thanks for sharing that part.
  17. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

This probably sounded "intelligent" as you were typing it out huh?

Solid work.
  18. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I am not sure how easy you expect things to be in a season. If 40% of your games are against teams .500 and below, then I think most fans would feel pretty great about that situation. Doesn't get too much easier than that. At some point, your team has to perform and earn some keep.
  19. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,868 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    At some point, you need to beat a team capable of winning and we failed to do that.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,122 Messages
    6,929 Likes Received
    And it didn't when whoever reads things to you read it out loud for your to reply to? My apologies. Maybe try reading it again without moving your lips? We call that 'advanced reading' on the internet, and it's better than regular reading sometimes.