1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What happens if you dont get stitches when you probably should

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by MarionBarberThe4th, Apr 7, 2011.

1. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,972 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Is it just an uglier scar?

Chance of infection?
  2. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,310 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    It could rot and fall off.
  3. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,518 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    U Die!!!!! Muhaaa Muhaaaa
  4. MarionBarberThe4th

11,972 Messages
    135 Likes Received

Nooooooo. I love my eyebrow
  5. TheDallasDon

2,518 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Well in all seriousness, stitches stop bleeding and help close the cut off from bacteria and whatnot.

Also yes it helps minimize a scar
  6. TheDallasDon

2,518 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Forgot that if u don't get stitches it makes the cut open up a lot easier.

So every time u get into a fight or whatever u did it will open up agian, then it will progressively get worse and worse
  7. MarionBarberThe4th

11,972 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Yea, I assumed no stitches meant longer recovery time and worse overall recovery.

Ill just be on the lookout for infection. Probably didnt help that a bunch of sweaty dudes were around me and handling the band aids and sanitizer.......(was playing basketball, not whatever I just made it seem like I was doing)
  8. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,310 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Do you own a stapler?
  9. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,484 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    Depends on the location. Regardless of location, a bigger scar, longer healing time, easier reopening, and higher risk of infection.

If it's near a joint/highly mobile spot, then it probably just won't stop bleeding for a couple days or ever. You'll clot, move it, break the clot, repeat.

If it's at a spot hard to keep clean like crotch, pits, soles of feet, scalp, etc, then a much higher infection chance.
  10. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Damn man, elbow to the head??
  11. MarionBarberThe4th

11,972 Messages
    135 Likes Received

Yea. From this new guy whos like 6'6", 155 lbs. and all elbows.

Im thinking it was an accident, but it happened just as I ripped a rebound from him and was going up for the put back so you never know.
  12. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Keep it clean. If the cut is on the eyebrow itself, watch out. A hair follicle is a breeding ground for a possible infection.

That said, I've got three scars across my left thumb. One from skinning fish and the knife slipped, but didn't go to the doctor for it. Hydrogen peroxide and kept it clean.

The oldest scar runs from the outside bottom corner of the nail, along the outside of the thumb and then underneath to the crease under the knuckle. Got that one with a hammer while manually stamp marking a steel beam. The letter "I" slipped and the outside of the thumb caught the full force of the hammer, through the welding glove. Ripped the meat right apart. I was dripping blood out of glove before I could pull it off. Washed it out with hydrogen peroxide, taped it over with a gauss pad, wrapped a paper towel over that with some electrical tape, cut the thumb hole out of the glove and went back to work.

Ever since then, my thumb nail grows with a weak point about 1/5th of the way in from the outside. Thing is always breaking off at that point.

Point of that? Keep it clean, and if you don't mind the scar you'll most likely be okay.

Safe side says hit up a doctor as soon as you can though.
  13. Route 66

Route 66 Active Member

3,310 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I've heard doctors say to not wait too long to get a stitch closed or it won't seal as well.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,284 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    Why not just get the stitches?
  15. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Stitches >>>> Not getting Stitches.

Especially if it is on an exposed part of the body. (like your face) The scare will be much more pronounced without stitches. (the more stitches the better)
  16. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    When I got bit in the face by a dog, I got stitches (lots of them) right away along my right cheekbone. You can't even tell I have a scar now unless I get a sunburn.

I'd definitely see the doc.
  17. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Is that why you are a cat person? :laugh2:
  18. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Hah, nah.

It was my step-mother's dog. I was there visiting when I was 19, they had left for work and her kids were in school. It was just me and the dog, a full size Chow, who was very cautious around strangers.

I only had one dog and we had her from a pup, so I never understood things you should and shouldn't do when around a dog.

I could let her out of the house and put her on her lead without a problem. Then, I leaned down to give her a pet on the head, but I was right over her face. She jumped up and bit me, the top teeth making a big gash in my cheek and the bottom breaking open a spot under my jaw.

Needless to say, there was blood. :D
  19. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Ahh Chow. Yeah, my sister and her husband had one named Bear. Basically, if he didn't know you. Stay the hell away!
  20. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    It depends on how deep the cut is. I'm going to assume it's superficial or you probably would have already bleed out by now. You should go and have it stitched up but if you do not want to do that, you can just clean, disinfect and use zip glue. You may also wish to bind it but that's up to you.