1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What have previous teams with top 5 offense/defense done?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TruBlueCowboy, Nov 24, 2006.

1. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    NFL.Com hasn't updated the stats yet from Thanksgiving, but I'd guess after yesterday's game, we're right at 279 yards per game on defense, making us #3 in the league, and around 367 yards per game on offense, also making us #3 in the league. So we're top 5 again in both categories assuming a lot of teams don't have the same spectacular games this Sunday and move up dramatically in the rankings. Not even San Diego can make this claim.

I checked all the way back to 2003, because that's as far as NFL.Com goes, and there isn't a single team that was top 5 in yards/game on offense and defense. I was wondering how many teams have done this in the last 10-15 years, and what were the postseason results? I know the yards/game stat can be deceiving. I remember when the Cowboys were #1 in Parcells first year but I never felt like we had the best defense in the league. (Pretty good underrated defense, but not elite.) Having both though... I would guess this is a pretty good measurement of where you stand in the league.
  2. rexrobinson

rexrobinson Active Member

1,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well in the salary cap era this is an astonishing feat if they end the year ranked in the top 5 in both catagories.

Seriously, most of the good teams in this new era have either an amazing defense and a soild offense or vice versus.

It is rare to have both ranked this high.

ENJOY EVERY WAKING SECOND OF THIS!
  3. Bryan8284

Bryan8284 Active Member

1,377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's called drafting well, not just on day one, but day two and UDFA. The people we've found from day 2 on has saved this team countless millions to pay to guys to fill the few holes, Henry, Owens, Rivera (ehh), Ferguson.

Parcells + Ireland
  4. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,946 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    I checked a little while ago and as of this morning we are number three on both sides of the ball.
  5. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just to throw in a bit of statistical anomaly that kind of relates to the theme of your thread: I am almost positive that in 2001, the second of our three glorious consecutive 5-11 seasons, we finished top 5 in total defense and had a top 5 rushing attack as well.

I couldn't believe that we finished 5-11 with stats like that.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    Look what we had at QB and look at the coach and that tells the story pretty much. Plus that D was a lot like our 2003 D; looked good and did pretty well but when matched up against a top O it got shredded.
  7. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    if you cant score you cant win...we scored 22 offensive tds that yr...our QB's (all of them) combined for just over 50% completion %, under 6.0 yds per attempt...Anthony Wright was the only starter who didnt throw more picks than tds (and he was 5tds-5ints)...we beat one team with a winning record (SF)

David
  8. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So no one has a link of a site that goes way back?

Yup, you guessed it. This is one of those threads where I bust out my stat nerd side and point out that 8 out of 10 teams with a top 5 offense and defense (based on yards per game) also made it to the Super Bowl.

..... or at least I hope it's something along those lines.
  9. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    that was because we were the #1 ranked pass D in the league

but we were also the 32nd ranked rushing D as well, why pass if you can run on them? lol true story, we allowed a franchise-worst, 3, 200 yard rushers, I think that's actually an NFL history worst
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,952 Messages
    1,532 Likes Received
    The 1977 and 1992 Cowboys won the Superbowl and were in the top 5 in offensive and defensive yards.