1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What I Think Dallas could do MOCK (rounds 1-5)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Jan 25, 2012.

1. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    1st round:

Courtney Upshaw, Alabama, OLB

He may be another Spencer clone but he seems to be the best pass rusher in this weak class. Cowboys seem to like him.

2nd round:

Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin, G/C

The Cowboys interviewed him at the Senior Bowl and could compete for a guard AND center spot. Brings versatility and some gerth to the interior.

3rd round:

Brandon Boykin, Georgia, CB

I like Boykin because he's physical, and is a solid punt and kickoff returner, something the Cowboys need badly. I still expect a veteran CB to be signed.

4th round:

Michael Egnew, Missouri, TE

The tight end position went from a position of strength to a position of question. Depth is needed.

5th round:

Cliff Harris, Oregon, CB

More CB depth in a strong CB class.

What do you guys think?
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the Draft turned out that way.

Didn't know that Zeitler also could play Center. That versatility is an added bonus.

EDIT: Just read the Senior Bowl blog on Zeitler. I guess he could move up to Round 2 with added versatility.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    Not bad. I like the 1st 3 picks you have. I really like Kevin Zeitler
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,090 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I'm not entirely sold on Upshaw, but I really wouldn't be upset with this draft at all. Fills a lot of needs.
  5. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind this draft but I not a big fan of Upshaw. I really like the kid (McClein-sp?) from Boise St. I think he would be good value in the 4th.
  6. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,501 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Like it, although I'd rather have Mercilus over Upshaw. He's the better pass rusher of the 2 with a higher upside.
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,566 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    Cliff Harris from Oregon is a good find. I like that pick a lot.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    The more I think about it, the more I think we are probably going CB in the 1st round. I don't think we will even look at OLB until much later. If we resign Spencer, and this seems to be the idea unfortunately, I don't know if we look at OLB until later.
  9. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    If Spencer isn't re-signed, IMO we have to go OLB early. This isn't a deep class at the OLB position, but seems to be very deep with corner's.
  10. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    I agree. If Dallas lets Spencer walk then OLB becomes a big need area.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    True, but I don't really see anybody in the Draft that will be available to us who can come in and start over Spencer immediately. I'm searching for ways we can let Spencer walk and I just see it. On top of that, what you hear coming out of Jerry is that Spencer is excellent. At this point, I see no signs of Spencer leaving.
  12. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    We have Victor Butler and we could draft someone else in the 3-4th round. While it is a weak OLB draft, there are lots of DE prospects that could make the transition. Go look up Chandler Jones from Syracuse. He could be had in the 3rd round.

Going into free agency, here's how I would assess our needs:

1. Cornerback
    2. Offensive Guard
    3. Free Safety
    4. OLB
    5. ILB
    6. Fullback
    7. TE
    8. Pass catching RB
  13. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,527 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    I would rather take Ingram than upshaw or trade back and take another OLB and add a pick.
    I like Burfict and HIghotwer as a OLB more than Upshaw
  14. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Ingram's short arms concerns me. If Upshaw turns out to be a Lamarr Woodley type player, I'll take that every time.
  15. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    I do agree there could be some DE who teams see as tweeners who could transition to the OLB spot.
  16. supercowboy8

5,527 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    Butler will get killed vs the run and Butler was banking on a 3rd or 4th rounder to be good soon is a big gamble. We need a true 3-4 OLB now.
    Go look at all the good OLBs and tell me where they were drafted. Not to many 3rd or 4th rounders.
    I say if we let SPencer walk then why downgrade, lets upgrade that position.
  17. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    There is no upgrade for Spencer for a true 3-4 OLB. That's why I have been saying re-sign him all along.
  18. supercowboy8

5,527 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    and if he doesn't, short arms, they aren't that short, his arms just aren't super long. Length of arms is stupid to worry about. Ingram is a better pro player than Upshaw. Ingram will go before Upshaw in the draft. If INgram isn't there and we sign Nicks then I say drop back and get Hightower or Burfict, both have better explosion than Upshaw.

Both came in at under 6-foot-2 and more than 270 pounds with short arms. In the 2007 draft, the same thing happened to LaMarr Woodley and he dropped to the second round. But tape doesn't lie. Woodley proved it was unwise to pass on him and he's developed into one of the best 3-4 linebackers in the NFL. The same could happen to Upshaw and Ingram.
  19. supercowboy8

5,527 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    I don't know about that, I think you can find a OLB in the 1st that will give you the same thing SPencer gave us last year and has alot better upside.
  20. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Go look at Anthony Spencer's draft profile and compare it to all the OLB/DE tweener's in this draft. He had all the upside in the world. I'll stick with the one I know versus the history of offensive guards getting drafted in the 1st round and the hit and miss of linebackers in the first round.

Kind of like the last one the Cowboys drafted in the first round prior to Spencer.