1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What I Think Dallas could do MOCK (rounds 1-5)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Jan 25, 2012.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    This Jonathan Massaquoi kid is interesting. He's a kid that I would not mind taking a look at a little later.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,648 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Is that why he feel to the 28th spot in the 1st and if Dallas wouldn't have traded up to get him he would have went early 2nd. I need to know his draft profile, I know what he was in and what he turned into.

I don't want to over pay for Spencer, I can use that money at OL or CB.
    Melvin Ingram, Donta Hightower, and Vontaze Burfict I think can do everything Spencer did last year for a much lower price.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,648 Messages
    3,909 Likes Received
    Part of that will depend on what Spencers asking price will be. I don't think Dallas should pay him top money and if that is the case then I would look to the draft. As for upside what upside does Spencer provide? if he has not progressed yet there is no upside left
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,462 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    :facepalm:
  5. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    So we're going to draft a Spencer clone over a 10 year starter at offensive guard? No thanks. We can find someone who can do what Spencer does in a platoon with Butler.
  6. supercowboy8

5,648 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    do you not have words to explain yourself, do you have anything to back up your statement.
    I'm not crazy about Upshaw and I have read where alot of people feel the same. He has had a good senior bowl but no where near great.
  7. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    If he wants Calvin Pace money, don't re-sign him. I should've been more clear about that.

Spencer is still relatively young and he has been solid. I have issues with the fact that he gave up in the season, but I still like what he offers the team.

If we draft a OLB, I don't have a problem with it, I just think there is more value with DeCastro.
  8. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,308 Messages
    718 Likes Received
    I dont think they will re-sign Spencer and its not worth it either.He is a mediocre pass rusher at best but some 3-4 will make a big offer for him-atleast 55 million and we can get similar production from our first rd pick for the fraction of that cost.we need to use our FA money to get a new center and a guard,we cannot waste another Tony romo year.
  9. supercowboy8

5,648 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    no you can't becasue Butler can't do what Spencer does.
    I never said who you draft will be a Spencer clone. I said you can draft a player that atleast does what Spencer does, but I expect them to be much better.

You would take a OG at 14 when you need a starting OLB and CB. I can find a starting OG in the 2nd or 3rd alot easier than I can a CB or OLB.
    Look at how many CBs and OLBs go in the 1st and how many OGs go. That just shows how teams value those positions.

I can sign NIcks with the money I save by letting Spencer walk and Nicks is far and away better than any OG in this draft right now.
  10. TheSport78

8,462 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Put it this way. I'll trust Mike Mayock's opinion that Upshaw is the #1 OLB in the draft over supercowboy8.

I find it hilarious that you stated "Ingram is a better pro player than Upshaw" WHEN THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED A DOWN IN THE NFL.

Good God.
  11. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I understand what you're saying.

Nicks contract would leave us hamstrung in my opinion and I think we can find cornerbacks through free agency, as well as a free safety. I like the idea of getting younger on the offensive line with Kosier probably leaving. I looked up the OLB and you're right, the majority of all-pro linebackers get drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds. Just the fact there is so many of them linked to us, I don't know which one I would like them to draft. My gut tells me Ingram, but I haven't looked at them enough because I've been so stuck on us drafting DeCastro.
  12. supercowboy8

5,648 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    how will Nicks leave us hamstrung? you can back load a contract but lets say we sign him as the highest OG ever which will be just over 8 a year and we pay 8 million this year. Dallas will have 20-22 in cap space. so 20-8 would leave Dallas with 12 millin in cap space left. How does that leave a team hamstrung? Take another 4 million away for drafted players and you still have 8 million in cap space.
    Also like I said you can sign players to a 1 million salary but give them a big big signing bonus which can keep you cap low for this year and not hurt you.

Teams know how they can manipulate the cap and over sign players. Signing Nicks will not Hamstring the cowboys in any way.

also in your Mock Brewster is playing awful in the senior bowl. They are putting Zietler at Center becasue Brewster keeps getting blown up. Might want to change that.
  13. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I don't like giving him a big contract, I would rather the Cowboys draft and develop their players. Of course they need to sign free agents where necessary, but I think that'll be on defense with our secondary issues.

So I should change my imaginary mock draft on one all-star game versus a career of consistent starts? No thanks. I didn't know CowboysZone had Mel Kiper on the boards.
  14. supercowboy8

5,648 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Pro prospect is what I mean. I will go by what I see when I watch games and not just listen to some guy because he is on TV.
    Also there are also many other ex NFL scouts and coaches that like Ingram more than Upshaw. But you listen to Mayock, I guess he has never been wrong. Why don't you check out his top 5s from 2011 and 2010 and see how right he was.
  15. supercowboy8

5,648 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Oh yeah I would rather build through the draft but with your best players getting at the end of the careers and you in a need to win now mode, you don't have time for a 4th rounder to develop. Thats why we need to be liek Housotn and San Fran last year.
    Go out and get the player you need in FA and early in the draft.
  16. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Also a player the Cowboys are meeting with.
  17. TheSport78

8,462 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Some guy lol. Mayock is highly regarded in the league and by scouts, but I'll take your word for it. You have credentials as well. Oh wait, no...you don't. I'm not wasting my time with someone who embraces conflict. I'm sticking to my opinion, and you can stick to yours, but don't make ridiculous comments like Ingram is a better pro prospect than Upshaw. This is CLEARLY an opinion, so don't try and make your questionable opinions seem like facts, when they are FAR from it.
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,648 Messages
    3,909 Likes Received
    I am on board with DeCastro as well and some other I like in the 1st rd well one of them is Upshaw as well as Ingram. I'm open to these guys because one we don't know how the draft will fall and 2 if Spencer leaves then OLB in a 3-4 defense gets to be pretty important area to fill. So say Dallas went with Upshaw then came back with Zietler on the next pick I can't say I would be upset.

I also should have added what we do in FA will play a big part as well.
  19. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Boykin will go in the 2nd round.
  20. TheSport78

8,462 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Let's see what happens at the combine. A lot can change after that.