1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What I Think Dallas could do MOCK (rounds 1-5)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Jan 25, 2012.

1. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be opposed to it either, but we're just now hearing about Zeitler. DeCastro played in a pro style offense and blocked for one of the best pro-ready QBs in the history of college football. Like I said earlier, I've been saying we need to re-sign Spencer because of his run support and familiarity with scheme. We can find a pass rusher to develop that can rotate in our front 7 on passing downs later in the draft.
  2. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    He's one of the fastest CBs in the draft. I'm about to pull the numbers of CBs drafted within the first 2 rounds over the past 5 years.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Yeah very highly regarded thats why he isn;t a scout for a team.

Also you mention his top 5 LB, but he doesn't even have Ingram as a LB and has INgram as the #2 DE. So who knows if he would put Ingram ahead of Upshaw.
    I would.

Wes Bunting has Hightower 14th overall, Ingram 23rd, and Upshaw at 35th overall.
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Re-signing Spencer is settling for mediocrity IMO.
  5. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Maybe this should tell you who Mayock sees as a rush outside LB...

By the way, Mayock has turned down positions with NFL teams before. I guess Jon Gruden and Bill Cowher are c***** coaches because they don't work for NFL teams right now also.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,095 Messages
    1,626 Likes Received
    Zeitler played in a pro style offense as well at Wisconsin and Zeitler did not just show up he was well thought of as well not has high as DeCastro but if Dallas looks to OLB or CB Zeitler is a very good prospect that should be there in the 2nd
  7. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    55-60 CBs have been drafted in rounds 1-2 since 2005 (I wasn't familiar with some of the names and prior to 2008, ESPN has all of their secondary labeled as DB).

8-9 CBs in the first 2 rounds on average. Boykin is in that group in this year's crop.
  8. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    How does he compare to Konz?
  9. Doomsday101

75,095 Messages
    1,626 Likes Received
    Peter Konz is the top ranked Center and likely will fall in the late 1st. I would say Konz would rank higher but not likely to be there in the 2nd for Dallas
  10. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    A lot of my DeCastro flag waving is also based on the recovery of Montrae Holland. While I think we need to bring him back, I wonder how effective he'll be. First we have to re-sign him and we'll soon find out what the Cowboys are thinking on that front. If Holland is gone, I think DeCastro has to be the pick.
  11. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,270 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Impossible to know this right now.
  12. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Agreed. We already know what Spencer is. We have no idea how good Upshaw or Ingram could be.
  13. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I meant through free agency.
  14. Doomsday101

75,095 Messages
    1,626 Likes Received
    I understand. I'm a big fan of DeCastro. What takes place in FA and who we end up releasing is going to be a factor. I try to keep all my option open. Main thing come out of the draft with quality players without reaching for them. I have said many times, if we can come out of the draft addressing interior Line help, CB and OLB I think we make ourselfs a lot more competitive next year.
  15. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,320 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    You guys shouldn't even bother arguing between Upshaw and Ingram... Mercilus is the real prize here.:D
  16. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,270 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Sounds like Jenkins, Boykin, Upshaw and Coples are putting on a show today at the Senior Bowl.

Would take Jenkins so fast if he didn't have the red flags.

I'm warming to the idea of Upshaw if we don't resign Spencer. Bunting and Mayock saying great things about him.
  17. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received

He's not.. Ingram is better than him..
  18. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Opinion or fact?
  19. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Both. Right now is my opinion, and as for what has been shown on film so far and what happened today, it's a fact.
  20. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Ingram (2/5)

"First-step quickness is a notch below elite. A bit inconsistent with snap awareness. Shows above average body control and torso flexibility. Good athletic ability and change-of-direction skills for his size (see double move for sack 6:22 remaining 4th QTR vs. ALA 2010). Displays excellent closing burst to the QB  particularly for a 270-pound athlete. Shows ability to turn speed into power. Still developing instincts as a pass rusher. Often times he will win with first-step quickness or knock OL back on heels with initial pop, but then fails to capitalize. Needs to become more decisive and confident with counter moves. "

Upshaw (2/5)

"Lacks elite first-step quickness but does show enough initial burst to gain an advantage off the edge. Very good hand usage. Hands are quick and violent. Does a great job of keeping blockers off his body. Has quick feet and keeps OT's off balance. Shows above average closing burst and will explode through the QB. Has some experience dropping into underneath coverage and is plenty capable of doing so as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL"

Branch (3/5)

Can be a quarter-count late off the ball. First-step quickness is adequate but not good. Lacks explosive burst around the corner and is a one-gear pass rusher. Shows good upper body power and the ability to use his hands effectively. Flashes an effective club move but doesn't use it frequently enough and needs to improve his array of counter moves once reached. Shows good awareness as a pass rusher. Realizes when he's not getting pressure on the QB and does a good job of getting his arms up for PBUs or to affect QBs sightline.

Nothing on Mercilus or Perry yet.