1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What I Think Dallas could do MOCK (rounds 1-5)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Jan 25, 2012.

1. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Burfict (2/5)

A three down linebacker that can make an impact both defending the pass and rushing the passer. Athleticism provides him with a wide range in underneath zone coverage. Does a nice job of reading QBs eyes but needs to do a better job of looking up crossers behind him. Can run with TEs down field but may have limitations matched up with quicker RBs in man coverage. A powerful blitzer up the gut that can run through blocks and create disruption in the pocket. Also was observed hurdling cut blocks on several occasions throughout film study.

Hightower (4/5)

Good awareness in coverage. Diagnoses play-action quickly and shows a good feel in underneath-middle zone. But he's limited athletically. Feet are slower than ideal and he shows stiffness in hips. Flashed some upside as an edge rusher as a LOLB on occasion. Does a decent job of keeping blockers off his body and shows torso flexibility when bending the edge. Shows gap-discipline when turned loose on inside blitz. Closing burst is adequate but not good.
  2. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,455 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    In a Wednesday evening interview with NFL Network, Steelers scout Mark Gorscak compared Alabama OLB Courtney Upshaw to LaMarr Woodley.
    Woodley, of course, has 44 sacks over the last four seasons after being drafted with the 46th pick in 2007. Like Woodley's was, Upshaw's draft grade may be lowered because he's a pass rusher shorter than 6-foot-2. "He is like Woodley," Gorscak said. "Thick body guys. Powerful and play with their hands." Upshaw will likely be drafted higher -- perhaps much higher -- than Woodley because the NFL has come around on dinging pass rushers too much for body type.
    Jan 25 - 7:06 PM
  3. TheSport78

8,455 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I disagree. Both Upshaw AND Ingram have been impressive. Anyone guessing who will be the better pro would be pure speculation at this point and has a 50% chance of being correct.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    it would be wise to remember that just because someone looks good at Senior Bowl practices, you are better off using game tape. More than a few who were hyped because of how they looked in practice turned out to be busts.
  5. TheSport78

8,455 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    And players who did not do well at the Senior Bowl end up being great players. See Ryan Kerrigan!
  6. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    That's true of every prospect that's going to be drafted. Nobody really knows how any of this guys are going to turn out. Yes, even Saint Luck. However, there are certain things that one can look at that would help in a guesstimate.

By the way, Upshaw hasn't been impressive at all. Quite honestly, I haven't seen much more than a bullrush from him in drills and scrimages so far. Perhaps he'd be better suited as a 4-3 defensive end, ala Jeremy Mincey from Jacksonville. I wouldn't touch him as a 3/4 OLB..
  7. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    Cliff Harris got kicked off the team at Oregon..Garrett wont have any of that...kid has the tools though...fragile lookin guy though
  8. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I agree with this too.. but there are stars that were born in this practices and games also. My favorite of all time is Jason Taylor. Tarrick Glenn was another one. Recent ones like Tyson Alualu, Brooks Reed and Mike Iupati who are developing nicely. All of them made their marks in this games and practices.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I think if we want Boykin, we shouldn't sit on our hands like Jerry did with Max Unger and we should go get him.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,695 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    I think you probably hit within about 5 picks per round of what the players end up drafted at and that means it is very realistic thus not sexy at all:)

You are supposed to give us r2 guys in 4 and r3 guys in 5 man! LOL.

I expect Upshaw to be the best pass rusher available at 14. It comes down to Upshaw versus the CBs and OG on the board I believe. I'd probably go Pass Rusher then OG then CB as you did. The CB pool is rather deep if not amazing after Mo. Could be about 8 CBs drafted between r2 and r3 if Kirkpatrick and Jenkins both fall for drug concerns.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,695 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    Upshaw is very impressive to me and those commentating. He may rely on the bull rush but he has dominated one on one drills. As Mayock mentioned guys doing spins and taking really wide angles probably can't do that in games. Upshaw doesn't have Ware-like burst but his bull rush is VERY effective. He is pushing guys who weigh 70 pounds more than him back to the red flag. And the Bull Rush is nice because it means he can actually hold the edge versus the run.

He is a quite solid fit opposite Ware. We do not need a pure speed edge rusher. We need a guy like Lamarr Woodley who relies also on mostly the bull rush.
  12. TheSport78

8,455 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    :hammer: