1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What if another TE broke Gonzalez's reception record instead of Witten

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ringmaster, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ringmaster

ringmaster Well-Known Member

1,765 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    What if another TE like Gronkowski, Graham, or Davis broke Gonzalez's reception record instead of Witten how much press would it get?
  2. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,890 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    I don't think it would matter. Tight ends, field goal kickers...its just not as attractive as the wide receiver, running back or quarterback position. Or even the sack record. Tight end will always be a afterthought. Or it may change with the way the tight end position is evolving.
  3. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,404 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Perhaps AdamJT can assist with this answer as far as Witten targets compared to other TE's...
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,873 Messages
    2,662 Likes Received
    If Gronkowski did it I could see it. Not so much with the others. It has to do with the year Gronk had last year and how poised the media is to anoint him the next great thing. I also happen to think he deserves it, but that is my AZ bias talking.
  5. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,005 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I hate the Pats, but like Gronk. From the funny name down to the way he spikes the ball. It's like a perverted version of captain caveman.
  6. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,404 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    You don't potentially see Davis with a new QB in place also ? Not that I expect that at all however.

Gronk won't do it because of the attention he gets.
    Graham has a shot too.
    I think the injury to Gronk this year hurts him a bit. I think even with injury Witten and Gonzo have been the most durable at the position ever.

You know I don't care what the media says, I have two eyes and a better understanding of the game than most of those guys.
  7. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,740 Messages
    1,959 Likes Received
    It would get way more than Witten got. Especially if it was Gronk.

Pats, Gronk and another opportunity to worship Tom Brady by the media would mean way more coverage.

With Witten they would have to acknowledge a Cowboys great, and Romo his QB. This would pain them!

When Witten is done he will be arguably the best TE in history.
  8. ringmaster

1,765 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    That's it you're in a minority when it comes to fans especially the casual ones because of your knowledge of the game.

That being said Witten, and Gonzalez are two of the most durable at the position ever and I would hate to see Tony retire at the end of this season because he still has it even at the age of 36 as for Gronk he is the closest thing to Witten in terms of being a complete TE but injuries has slowed down a bit as you mentioned.
  9. ringmaster

1,765 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Yeah you have a point there.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,408 Messages
    1,676 Likes Received
    Agreed.

This is a so so record at a very unsexy position. I'm not surprised there isn't much attention being paid.
  11. ringmaster

1,765 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    True Hos as I stated in a previous post that Gronk is the equivalent to Witten in terms of skill set.
  12. ringmaster

1,765 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    I do believe it would've gotten more press had Gronk did it the thing I notice is that no matter which position it is no Cowboys player even if he is one of the top players wouldn't be deemed worthy to other great players at their respective position.
  13. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Most people don't care. Few remember that Dallas Clark had a chance to tie the record in 2009. The Colts were 14-1, and Manning and Clark played one quarter during the regular season finale in snowy Buffalo. Clark had 7 catches when he sat down and needed just 3 to break the record.

Clark played on a high profile team with the best record in the NFL, and he caught a lot of TD's (10). I don't recall it ever being mentioned during the broadcast, though they did talk about Clark getting to 100 receptions and mentioned that he was only the second TE to get to 100 behind Gonzales.

Most people probably don't even know who held the record prior to Gonzales (Ben Coates with 96 in 1994).
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,852 Messages
    2,052 Likes Received
    Gronk is a BA. The Gronkspike is just too epic.
  15. ringmaster

1,765 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Pretty good history you have with the record but it about sums it up most people don't care about it.
  16. ringmaster

1,765 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Calvin Johnson's record of 1,892 yds and is one pace for a 2,000 yd season, or Adrian Peterson's attempt at Dickerson's record is more significant in alot of people's eyes.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I would say Peterson breaking Dickerson record. Reason they have not changed rules to make it easier on RB.
  18. ringmaster

1,765 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    I see what you're saying Dooms regarding the RB record it would be more impressive that's for sure.

As for Calvin Johnson, and yes I agree that the league has made it easier for WRs regarding the rules he is that once in a lifetime talent at WR, and imho is a bigger, faster version of Jerry Rice and while his team isn't as good his record of 1,892 yds and is only 108 yds shy of 2,000 yds is just as impressive.
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I agree it is impressive. I just think it is harder to accomplish what Peterson may end up doing. 1984 Dickerson put up 2,105 yards
  20. ringmaster

1,765 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    I agree you won't hear any arguements from me on this one.

Do you see another WR breaking Johnson's record anytime soon?