1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What if Donald drops to #16....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Chuck 54, Mar 17, 2014.

1. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Nope ... thats for when we have two 1st rounders to burn. We pick up the Arkansas player with the 2nd pick.
    Risen Star likes this.
  2. Pabst

Pabst Active Member

926 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Personally, I think the Aaron Donald hype is more of a media creation. Most people mentioned him as a r2/3 guy until the Senior Bowl. I'm just having a hard time seeing him vault all the way into the top 10 or 15 like many seem to think is inevitable.

I remember when some in the media were convinced Bruce Campbell would go #8 overall to the Raiders in the 2010 draft. He ended up in the 4th round. Just saying we should take a step back and look at other possibilities.
  3. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

27,929 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I wanted Dallas to draft an offensive lineman in last season draft, preferably a guard or center in that order. Jones did his almost annual impersonation of the New England draft shuffle and eventually reached somewhat for Travis Frederick.

Frederick was the best thing to happen to the offensive line since Tyron Smith.

They did their homework.

I'm leaving the sun and moon alone. One doesn't know whether to dole out high or low tides. The other one wants to blast your cell phone reception with solar flares. They're both mischievous celestial bodies and I ain't askin' neither of 'em for nuthin'.
    visionary likes this.
  4. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,821 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    multi dimensional players that can play in any scheme are hard to find. Donald is a perfect fit for our 4-3, because he can penetrate and be disruptive in the backfield and collapse the pocket. that's what most look for, a player than can rush the passer, specially from the middle. he fits the mold of Laroi glover. I would be happy if we get him. I am not sold on jerrigan because he was injured and the book of work on him is not that deep.
  5. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,814 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    I'm betting Chicago takes Donald. Seems like a good fit.
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,269 Messages
    1,912 Likes Received
    i think jernigan has better scheme flexibility
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,759 Messages
    754 Likes Received
    Let me guess, you like Jernigan more than Donald?

It's okay to just say you like someone else. You don't have to crap on Donald to prop your guy up.
  8. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,314 Messages
    852 Likes Received
    If they go DT Donald is their guy.
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    How does he fit a scheme. Several 43 schemes use a under tackle at the 3. Not every 43 defense has to fat monsters at DT.
  10. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,846 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    I'm thinking Donald is going to sneak into the top ten. Wish it weren't true, but I think it's a very real possibility.
  11. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,479 Messages
    492 Likes Received
    Obviously it depends who all is one the board, but there's a good chance that if Donald is there at #16, he's the best player available at a position of need (even if Melton signs, IMO -- does the team even HAVE a 3-tech under contract right now?). If that's the case, then you might as well take him and have a potentially elite tackle rotation.
    AsthmaField likes this.
  12. DuDa

DuDa Active Member

339 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    Where exactly would the 6'2 299 pound, 31 inch armed DT fit in the 3-4?
  13. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,638 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    Depends on who else we get .i try not to get emotional on draft day . I was sort of pissed when we took Frederick but who is still pissed about it? Who knows Pryor could be the next earl Thomas , cjmosley could be the next lance Briggs .
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,269 Messages
    1,912 Likes Received

i meant 4-3 other than marinelli 4-3 who just wants rushmen

much more than a 6-1 285 lb player who relies on quickness alone
  15. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,037 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    We don't even know if Dallas likes him as much as this board does so if he Dallas and they pass, then oh well, it happens all the time with guys we champion. I don't see them passing on him if they don't sign Melton though, he's just too good of a fit at 3T for Marinelli.

Personally I'd take him even if we do get Melton, assuming Marinelli will be here for a while just because a lot of people said he's a scheme specific guy while others like Jernigan fit any scheme for the most part. I have no idea if the former is accurate but that's what I've read.
  16. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,249 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    Just to have fun with the size thing. Melton weighed only 269 at his own combine just a few years ago when he also ran a 4.6+ forty. Donald is definitely his mirror image, only larger.

If you want flexibility, why not trade down a bit and take Kony Ealy who lined up at DE and inside at DT in passing situations. The point is there are lots of options to find guys with quick first steps who might be undersized but can penetrate, and they aren't all named Donald, nor are they found only in round 1.
  17. DuDa

DuDa Active Member

339 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    Donald would fit in any 4-3 scheme as would Jernigan. Donald could actually play in any nickel defense in the league as well. Teams are playing the nickel almost 50% of the time these days anyway.
  18. DuDa

DuDa Active Member

339 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    nor do they play with the technique, strength, and has put up the kinds of numbers Donald has either.
  19. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,079 Messages
    114 Likes Received

I'd be okay with that. Everyone freaked out last year when they passed on Floyd. Looks like a good move now with how solid Frederick was
  20. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,407 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    If Donald is there at #16 no matter who we sign in Free Agency. You simply pullout your little pen and spell the name DONALD than hand that card in and smile :)