1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What if Donald drops to #16....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Chuck 54, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

1,251 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    From reading the Giants message boards for a few days, He is a strong possibility to be selected by them so say their fans.
  2. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,071 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    If only Parcells had been around to stop those crazy decisions! ;)
  3. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,690 Messages
    1,379 Likes Received
    ummm a dominant passrush wins championships. Did you not forget how the Giants and the Seahawks won? You do recall what Charles Haley has done for this team during the 90s right? Yet they said he was nothing more than a passrusher who couldn't play the run.
  4. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

12,266 Messages
    4,110 Likes Received
    Well, maybe his mirror image physically... except that Donald is pretty significantly bigger and stronger than Melton was as a rookie. However, Melton wasn't even a DT at Texas and so had to learn the position. Donald, on the other hand, is as accomplished a DT as you will ever find coming from the college ranks. He had phenomenal production his entire career at Pittsburgh, and he has won just about every award a DT can win. In all my years of watching football, I have never seen a DT with more impressive film coming into the NFL. Donald has shown over and over what Chicago had to hope Melton could learn.

Opposing teams in college probably didn't even know about Melton. When teams played Pittsburgh, their entire offensive gameplan was built around trying to neutralize Donald... and he still put up phenomenal numbers... a testament to how dominant he really was.

Ealy isn't close to what Donald is physically. Their first step (very important in this defense) isn't in the same galaxy, and you could say the same about their quickness. Also, if you compare what they did in college... well, there isn't any comparison.

I'm not an NFL scout, and I'm sure there are plenty of people that know a lot more about this than I do, but if you are talking about their value to the Cowboys, I don't think that Ealy is even close to Donald... and I think the Cowboys will feel the same way, although I don't know it for a fact.
  5. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,690 Messages
    1,379 Likes Received
    Giants might take him. They know the value of a good passrusher when they see one.
  6. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

1,923 Messages
    404 Likes Received
    And therein lies the rub. The Cowboys simply don't know, and they would be restricting themselves going to the draft targeting a single player who may or may not be there at 16. Giants or Bears could take him. Donald is THE man for Marinelli's scheme. The lad has all the intangibles to be great. He's the quickest and the strongest for his size. He comes off the line like shot from cannon by most reports. Quick twitch...quick twitch.
  7. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

12,266 Messages
    4,110 Likes Received
    True, that's why I'd look into trading with Tenn at #11. A move up to that spot would pretty much guarantee Donald is ours.
    BAT likes this.
  8. kramskoi

1,923 Messages
    404 Likes Received
    Freaky thing about Melton is that he went from running back at Texas to Pro-Bowl DT in just 5 years. Pretty impressive I would say. I think they moved Donald around a little at Pittsburgh, but his sheer number of plays in the backfield [89] over 3 years is pretty impressive as well.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,424 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    That would be a very interesting scenario, if someone rated higher than him falls to us then I could see that happening.
  10. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

12,266 Messages
    4,110 Likes Received
    Yes, Donald put up phenomenal numbers at the combine. However, if there was anyone who ever proved on the football field that he was not just a workout wonder, it was Donald. He showed over multiple years, in multiple schemes that he is a football player first and a workout wonder second. I loved the guy and thought he was the perfect 3-tech for Dallas before he ever took a practice snap at the Senior Bowl or stepped on a scale at the Combine.

He is a great football player who happened to blow the combine up. His rare quickness and speed is just an indicator that his college tape isn't a fluke. It is because he is physically rare in a lot of ways and because he understands and loves football.

We may never know, but I'd bet the house that Dallas likes Donald better than Jernigan.

No, but it really helps. That's why early first round picks are worth so much. When you get a guy who is physically superior and who has great football smarts and instincts like Donald, odds are he's going to be good. Particularly when what he does so well is what is required from a position, like Donald in Marinelli's scheme.

Well, you're right in that we really don't know, but unlike that year with Steven Jackson, I'm pretty sure Donald is exactly what Dallas is looking for in a 3-tech DT. With Jackson, I knew he was a good runner and that Dallas had a need at RB, but I wasn't sure if they wanted a smaller, quicker back, or a larger, more powerful back, or what. Now, I promise you that Marinelli is wanting a smaller, quicker DT who can penetrate, who plays with explosion and leverage, and who has an unreal first step.

Frankly, if you look at Donald and what he does on the football field, I can't imagine Dallas not having him as their number 1 DT by a mile. If you look at his personality, his work ethic, his football IQ, and his demeanor... I can't imagine Dallas not having him as their number 1 DT by a mile.

I was nowhere that certain about Steven Jackson or the RB position in general that year.
  11. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

12,266 Messages
    4,110 Likes Received
    Yeah, Melton is a good player. However, if you look at Donald and Melton coming out of college... there is no comparison.
  12. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

4,073 Messages
    1,170 Likes Received
    Given the way the off season had gone and how free agency has played out thus far, I can't foresee any scenario where we pass on Donald unless someone like Barr also falls and/or someone offer us the farm for the pick.
  13. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

12,266 Messages
    4,110 Likes Received
    Me either.

I would take Donald over Barr, but I would take Mack over Donald. Unfortunately, Mack will be long gone by the time we pick.

To me, Donald is the best option of all the guys who might realistically be there for us.
  14. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

4,073 Messages
    1,170 Likes Received
    I don't know if I could take Donald over Barr. I think Donald is a safer pick, but Barr has elite edge rusher potential... That would be a tough one for me.
  15. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

12,266 Messages
    4,110 Likes Received
    Yeah, I understand. There was a thread asking specifically that a week or so ago. Most said they'd take Barr. I was one of the outcasts who said they take Donald, lol.
  16. kramskoi

1,923 Messages
    404 Likes Received
    Hear you my friend. Just finished looking at some highlight film. He sheds and swims sweetly. Somewhat of a mean streak. I think he had a drop in production when they had him at 3-4 but he still produced ...also at 1T as well. Amazing athlete, VERY strong...Scary quick. You can drop him in and go.
  17. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

12,266 Messages
    4,110 Likes Received
    Yeah, I think Donald would be a producer from the first snap of the first game. Give him a training camp with Marinelli showing him what he wants (which would be pretty much what he did his final year at Pitt), and he should be good to go.

His first step is phenomenal and will give guards fits. Nobody hardly talks about his strength, but he is really strong too. With his shorter height, his quickness and his strength, he is a nightmare for OL.
  18. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

335 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Where we're you the last several years. Now, your thinking about taking Jerry out!
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

25,414 Messages
    3,368 Likes Received
    This
  20. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,779 Messages
    558 Likes Received
    I like Donald and Jennigan @ 16...with or without Melton and/or Allen!