1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What if Eric berry was in this class...?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CanuckCowboysFan, Mar 5, 2011.

1. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Would you trade up?

Best player out in a long time at our biggest position of need....better prospect then Peterson.

Why did he have to declare :mad: :( :( :mad:
  2. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,479 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    What if I was superman?

I would trade up depending where u trade up to, if to far then that PP at 9
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    could you imagine if Berry, Peterson, and Earl Thomas was in this draft. We would have gotten one for sure.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,655 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    Good question and great example of why NOT to trade up early in round 1.

Berry was very good his rookie year...but he did not even make many 1st team all-rookie teams.
    Turns out that Eric Berry may have not even been the best DB in his class, let alone the best to come out in may years. There lies the risk of placing so much avlue on an unproven player.

TJ Ward and Earl Thomas were very good too...maybe even better than Berry.

The point is that Cleveland could have had BOTH Thomas and Ward for what they paid for Berry.

Or maybe they could have taken Maurkice Pouncey AND TJ Ward. WOW. Basically they would get Pouncey for free.

Bottomline is that trading up early in the 1st round is very expensive and many times turns out to not be necessary in the first place.
  5. DFWJC

21,655 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    No doubt...
  6. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,810 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Most people have Peterson as a better prospect than Berry, FYI. More upside(can play CB), lower floor however.
  7. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,584 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I would take Earl Thomas over Berry
  8. TheDallasDon

2,479 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Berry would have been 50x better if he played FS instead of SS
  9. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Berry plays for KC.

Also, he would have had a much better season if he played FS, not SS.
  10. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

No, they don't.

How could you come to that conclusion?
  11. TheDallasDon

2,479 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Jinx, u owe me a dolla
  12. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pay Pal?
  13. Cowboy Brian

11,810 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Shane P Hallam & Scott Wright have said so before on their podcast. Peterson has a higher ceiling, hes a CB. Berry has a higher floor, less bust potential.
  14. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received

What does it even matter if Berry wasn't named to "many 1st team all-rookie teams?"

Berry was a Pro Bowl alternate this season as a rookie. Ask Chief fans what they think of Berry.

He was an impact player and will likely only get better with more seasoning.
  15. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LOL. So cause they said it, it makes it true?

I'd take Wes Buntings opinion over any "draftnik" any day.

And I'm sure their are many people who think Berry was/is the better prospect.
  16. Cowboy Brian

11,810 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    and there are people that think Dez Bryant is a better prospect than AJ Green, doesn't make it true.

Hell Al Davis would take Stanford Routt over any db in this class! Some people are crazy
  17. DFWJC

21,655 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    That wasn't my point at all. I'm a big Eric Berry fan.

My point was that the Chiefs could have gotten a safety just as good as Berry AND a pro Bowl O-lineman for the price of Berry. I'm sure they are happy with their player, as they should be. He's very good. But as it turned out, if say Seattle had traded up (and given up maybe a 2nd and 4th plus their 1st to do so), it would have been a big mistake.

But the question was should we trade up, and I say be careful trading up in the top end of the 1st round b/c it is very expensive and you must give up a lot to do so. That's all.
  18. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I understand your point, but I think that point-of-view is only relevant when viewed through the lens of hindsight. Each of the teams you mentioned had no such foreknowledge as they went into the draft.

I really think at some point you simply identify the player you like. You do what you need to do to acquire him, hope your scouting department did their due diligence and hope for the best.

I think if the Cowboys' brass and scouting department feel confident in what they see in Peterson as a player and compared to the rest of the comparable talent, they'll make the move. If not, they simply won't.
  19. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,584 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    blah blah blah

mere here say...i have no issue with you wanting Berry, he is a very good player. I just prefer Thomas. I know Thomas. I am a Horns homer. I trust and believe in Thomas. Therefore, between the two, I take what I know and trust. I see no reason why you have to put down Thomas to support your case for Berry.

Honestly, either way we win, win, win.
  20. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well he is.