1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What if Jerry said we were in rebuilding mode?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bluestang, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,145 Messages
    2,673 Likes Received

And exactly how does releasing OL affect a coach's ability to manage the clock and call timeouts?
  2. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,530 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    This team will be in position again to fill major holes via FA and draft BPA.
  3. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,145 Messages
    2,673 Likes Received
    Well, the guy they thought was going to be the second coming of Tom Landry is sub 500 as head coach, so they got to start coming up with something.
  4. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,092 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    I think it is pretty clear we are in year 2 of a 3 year rebuilding program under Garrett. Year 1 was to cut the fat of the team that had a lot of aging players who were progress stoppers. Year 2 was to retool the defense and to a degree I think that has been accomplished. Claiborne will be a stud in this league and Carr is a good #2 CB. Crawford will be a good player for us and Carter and Church were playing very well before injury. I think Year 3 will be a massive rebuild of the offensive line with only Smith and Livings returning as starters.
  5. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Year 2 of rebuilding with a 32 year old QB.

Keep moving the goalposts.
  6. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,092 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Maybe rebuilding was the wrong word. Retooling seems to fit better. I think of it like this; when Denver signed Peyton Manning, they had to rebuild their team. They needed to tweak somethings, including bringing in pass catchers at the TE position, and finding RBs who can pass protect better.

I think Dallas is "retooling" with their 32 year old QB.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,899 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    Every team is rebuilding every year. Football teams are fluid not static. Some are more static than other and at key places. WE are rebuilding. So are 31 other teams. It is no excuse for us. The injuries have hurt, but the miscues on the OL hurt more.
  8. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,478 Messages
    1,193 Likes Received
    Huh?
    RB - They kept McGahee and Moreno and drafted hilman
    TE - they signed Dressen and Tamme, harldy Tier 1 prospects
    Defense was pretty set.

They added Manning AND BROUGHT IN Stoakley and Tamme since they had been w/ manning in Indy. They are backups.
  9. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,271 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    It doesn't matter what Jones says. Most got their mind made up
  10. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,103 Messages
    2,312 Likes Received
    An honest answer hinges on whether or not the team is showing demonstrable improvement from one season to the next during the rebuilding process.

For instance, Jimmy took over a team in full blown rebuild mode, and saw his team win 6 more games between his first and second seasons. That's demonstrable improvement.
  11. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,530 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    The front office botched the OL, that's pretty clear.

But I never excused them at one point, ever.

According to some, well the usual suspects anyways, that's what this thread is about.
  12. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,271 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    They botched the ol when bledsoe was here. Way to keep up
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,199 Messages
    6,994 Likes Received
    I thought this team had as much or more talent than the 2007 squad. And I thought we were in for a pretty good year, definitely qualifying for the playoffs.

I'm a huge Garrett supporter, but I don't have a problem admitting his team has fairly dramatically underperformed my expectations this season. I think there are reasons for this, but this year hasn't exactly been an affirmation.

That said, people here are massively overestimating his shortcomings, and in many cases just plain making up facts and drawing conclusions to justify their desire to replace him. I think they'll end up disappointed, but who's to day.

To the OP, I'd feel a lot different about a 500 season if they team were in admitted rebuilding mode. But even with the OL turmoil, I thought each new addition was an upgrade to what we had previously, so, overall, I expected OL improvement.

[Insert obligatory prophylactic comment re: how not even the biggest hater was actually worried about OT play here.]
  14. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,005 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Can i call you Shirley? :D
  15. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,642 Messages
    2,181 Likes Received
    the usual excuse-making posters in this thread

par for the course
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,957 Messages
    9,037 Likes Received
    I would have said they're doing a pretty poor job at it. 50 million and 1st and 2nd round picks on a couple of cornerbacks and two JAG offensive linemen. Not exactly my idea of building a future winner.

Package it however you want, the 2011/2012 offseason was a failure.
  17. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,676 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Didn't Landry stink it up his first few years? Fans were calling for his head then all of a sudden he gets a 10 year extension!!! :eek:

I'm willing to wait another year on Garrett.
  18. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,689 Messages
    4,962 Likes Received
    So the question then turns to the poor attempt at restocking the position.

It is not like anyone was forcing the organization to keep Kosier, Colombo, Gurode and Davis on the roster for years.

Bad contracts by our general manager prompted this massive change.

Poor evaluation skills from the general manager and the coaching staff resulted in their replacements being unable to be even close to functional.

What is your point, that it happened?
  19. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Its not 1965, and Jason Garrett isnt close to Tom Landry.

Enough with the Landry BS, its wholly irrelevant.
  20. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Because is all about the media splash ... DBs, RBs, and WRs. Buy those tickets (snake oil).