1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What if Jerry said we were in rebuilding mode?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bluestang, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,993 Messages
    7,735 Likes Received
    These are the sorts of issues all organizations have. And, guess what: if we'd addressed everything, you're still going to have things like injuries and declining play hitting you upside the head where you don't expect it.

We've actually been ok this year when it comes to personnel depth. The big problems being multiple hits at positions like C and S and ILB and insufficient talent to run the offense the way we'd intended (missing a fit at WR and the issues at OT).

And, of course, because of these things, the issues with coughing up the ball that keep us from winning games against good teams.
  2. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Agreed. I think I'd also add lack of any sort of long term vision.

Everyone knows my dislike of the job Jerry has done here. Although he likes to spout off about how he listens to all these "advisers", I think it really handicaps him because he just listens to whoever has his ear. As a result, the team doesn't have any sort of long term plan for what kind of football team they want to be.

Someone else mentioned it on here, but they described as players that don't play well together......good collection of individual talent, but not a great team.
  3. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Center is a tough one. The only guy that might be considered blue chip this year is Barrett Jones.

I was for signing Koppen last year just for the veteran leadership. Look at Doug Free and Tyron Smith's best years......who was playing next to them? The team needs a vet presence on the line.
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,250 Messages
    5,503 Likes Received
    If Jerry Jones is the true alpha male in the organization, which I believe he is, it is part of his job to make a great team.

There is a lot more that goes into that other than signing the checks.
  5. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I know it is really popular around to here to pretend that Dallas is just like every other franchise, but they aren't. I think their track record over the past 15 years or so is evidence enough of that.
  6. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Jerry wants the credit for building a football team and being a football guy. He gets the blame when he fails. He's failed for quite some time now.

A good GM is working all day, every day to evaluate players, work with his staff, etc. I actually don't Jerry being a meddler is his issue. It is that he is only a part time GM and he listens to way too many people.
  7. Idgit

31,993 Messages
    7,735 Likes Received
    That's popular? I hadn't noticed.

What I have seen as popular is people pretending that, because some things are wrong in Dallas, everything is wrong in Dallas.

Like it or not, our personell has not been a huge problem, other than having to work around some very specific injuries. We've got a moderately-talented club right now.

And that's not me making an excuse, it's me taking the personnel excuse off the board. That should make you happy instead of sad.
  8. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    So you think it is all injuries? Or coaching?
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,462 Messages
    6,029 Likes Received
    why do you have to tease me? :(
  10. Idgit

31,993 Messages
    7,735 Likes Received
    It's turnovers. That's part coaching. Part players (WRs, in particular, but also the QB and the protection). It's also the S's not getting the takeaways we need. I think the injuries at OLB are really going to end up hurting us. We've also been largely unable to blitz as a by product of compromised coverage which has probably hurt our defensive takeaways.

But the personnel problems have been more or less isolated to WRs and OTs and S. And then depth at OC and ILB. Given the extent of the damage at those spots, though, the 3rd and 4th string backups have actually played ok. It's just not reasonable to expect us to go 3 and 4-deep at those positions.
  11. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    So, what you are saying is that it is talent, coaching, execution and injuries? ;)
  12. Idgit

31,993 Messages
    7,735 Likes Received
    Sadly. I don't think it's just one thing with us. I actually wish it were.
  13. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I'm not going to post it here because it is a link to a site you have to register for (although free) and the board prohibits full articles.

However, google an article from 2001 named "The Devil and Mr. Jones" that was in Texas Monthly. It is eerie how little has changed since 2001.
  14. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,602 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    I have zero confidence in the man, so nothing he says would change my outlook or opinion of the team. Confidence comes from demonstrated ability and he has yet to demonstrate any ability in fielding competent linemen. It's funny how now that the wheels have fallen off and all the predictions have come true regarding the OL that the vehement happy fans are searching for new ways to categorize the failure.
  15. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,987 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    This organization doesn't use the word "rebuild" or "re-tool".

They use "process".
  16. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Don't you worry about the great Barry Church he will be fine. ;)
  17. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,602 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    Barry did look pretty good up until the injury as well as Carter,,, it's too bad they didn't have an offense to help them out this year.
  18. fffiasco

fffiasco Active Member

769 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Weve been in rebuilding mode since wade got canned. If you didnt realize that then jokes on you.