1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What if the Cowboys could have the OL of your choice

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Feb 4, 2013.

1. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,355 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    I think you need a hard-nosed leader type to anchor the line. The guy in East that I've always been jealous of is Chris Snee. You get the sense that DL don't like to play against him. He isn't the best G in the league but he is in the top 10 or so. Plus he'll play whatever position you need him to
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,575 Messages
    4,140 Likes Received
    It's your choice. You can take Pee Wee Herman if that is who you want.
  3. xwalker

11,575 Messages
    4,140 Likes Received
    Your choice of OLine.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,815 Messages
    2,660 Likes Received
    Thank you.

I do think there's a talent problem with our line, but it's not 100% talent like so many people want to claim. We could use better players of course, but as with most of the rest of our team, we're not getting the most out of the players we do have.
  5. xwalker

11,575 Messages
    4,140 Likes Received
    The question is just about OLine.
  6. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,433 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Well, it is the offseason. If you'd have raised this complaint during the season, it would have had a little more merit.

I don't remember much of these fantasy what if's during the season, but if there were a bunch of threads about it, it's pretty much a sign that we were disappointed in the current team and already looking forward.
  7. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,433 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Good point and a tough pill to swallow. I think we may need to get used to having at least 3 of our current OL started back next year. Swapping out 4 in one year is a tough thing to do.

Good point about our D and turnovers also. We should be generating more turnovers with the talent we have right now. Let's hope the scheme change helps.
  8. xwalker

11,575 Messages
    4,140 Likes Received
    This.^

Free Will
    1: voluntary choice or decision <I do this of my own free will>

2: freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention

There is a button titled [New Thread]. The button that you clicked is titled [Reply].

9. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

804 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    This is pretty ridiculous. If you replace 4 below average starters with 4 first team all pros for any position on any team they'd probably win their division. If you did it on our oline we'd likely be super bowl favorites.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,508 Messages
    1,495 Likes Received
    I'm expanding the discussion.
  11. xwalker

11,575 Messages
    4,140 Likes Received
    OK, fair enough.
  12. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,610 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    That is hard to do around here sometimes, when all is concentrated on one small detail without seeing the big picture. Sunday you saw a dominant trenches team (9ers) play a team that was ok in the trenches but much better at the skill positions (Ravens) than them.

Bottom line is you need a balance of both to win in this league, skill positions and trenches. A dominant OL with no skill positions will get you nowhere, just like dominating skill positions with no trenches will get you nowhere. I wish for once, we could see this on this board that we need both and not continue to fight for one or the other day after day after day after day....

As for the 4 new all-pro type starters on the OL, give me 2 of them for the OL, one of them for the DL and one at safety.......there is a such thing as balance.
  13. xwalker

11,575 Messages
    4,140 Likes Received
    In another thread, I had asked “What if the Cowboys could have the OL of your choice?”

I would like to restructure the question. Also, I should have included more details for the reasoning behind the question.

Reasons for the question:
    There is a concept of Scenario Thinking that is used by various entities such as NASA, businesses, stock market analysts, etc.. My reference to Scenario Thinking is just going to consist of the loose or informal definition of the subject.

One method of Scenerio Thinking, is to make a hypothetical change to something and then perform a detailed analysis of the expected effects/results of that change. The change is sometimes chosen to be unrealistic or exaggerated in order to amplify the effects/results. This is sometimes followed up by other iterations of the change that are more or less exaggerated.

There is another concept referred to as Group Thinking or Collaborative Thinking. Again, I’m just going to refer to the informal concept of Collaborative Thinking. An example is a Private Investigator compared to a large diverse group of people. Regardless of the PI’s ability, a large diverse group of people will generally flush out more details than the individual. Also, the group will generally find the details faster. It is possible that nobody in the group is as skilled as the individual investigator, yet the group results are superior.

My Scenario and hypothetical question:

The Cowboys started the 2012 season with all players on the roster healthy.
    The Cowboys did not have any major injuries to starters during the 2012 season.
    The Cowboys didn’t have any players arrested or killed.
    The Cowboys kept Tyron Smith at RT.
    The Cowboys added the best Olinemen in the league at each of LT, LG, OC, and RG. It is YOUR choice who those 4 OLinemen would be.

My example is:
    LT Joe Thomas
    LG Carl Nicks
    OC Nick Mangold
    RG Jari Evans
    RG Tyron Smith

Would the Cowboys have Won the division?

Would the Cowboys be contenders to make it to the Super Bowl?

Other results of this exact Scenario?

Reminder:
    This exercise is only intended to review this exact scenario. It is not a question about other or better alternatives. It is not intended to determine the exact 4 best OLinemen in the league.

This exercise is not a suggestion that this scenario is either realistic or the best option for the team.

14. xwalker

11,575 Messages
    4,140 Likes Received
  15. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Hmmm. Yes, they win the division, yes they are contenders for the Super Bowl. If I'm reading this right, we are assuming that the Dallas Cowboys were by far the healthiest team in the league and magically went from having a very below average offensive line to the best, by far, by definition.

This hypothetical club very well might have beaten the Ravens.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,508 Messages
    1,495 Likes Received
    This is basically the same thread you posted previously. Going to merge these.
  17. xwalker

11,575 Messages
    4,140 Likes Received
    No, it's not. I asked to close the original thread because it lacked detail and I changed the question.

What is the benefit of merging vs closing the original thread?

Again, please just close the original thread.
  18. L-O-Jete

L-O-Jete Member

889 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Yes they would have.
  19. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Agreed. Add to that, we almost won the division as it was. So it seems pretty obvious that magically wiping away injuries and trading out a crappy OL for the best OL in the league would give us that extra game or two.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,283 Messages
    1,177 Likes Received
    If we would have had zero injuries and did NOT add the top OL in football we would have wont he division.

Injuries definitely cost us mightily.

Scenario role-play as you are doing here is convoluted if you include too many layers or assumptions unless you then strip those layers one by one to determine the breaking points. This is how market factors are pre-determined.