1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What is it about Andrew Luck

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Muhast, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    So i watch college football every weekend. I will readily admit, I havn't seen a ton of Andrew Luck(I'm a big SEC football guy, living in the south).'

I hear all of this talk about how great he is and how he is a "can't miss" guy. I've heard that before, and it's hard to ever have a true "can't miss" prospect. In fact Aaron Curry was the "Safest pick in the draft" and he isn't even a starter on a bad Seahawks team now.

What exactly is it about Andrew Luck that has everyone so up in arms over him? Does he have great poise? Is it his arm strength? Does he have it all?

I am just curious, b/c as I said, I hear about the guy all the time, but have only watched him a few times. While I thought he looked like a pretty good prospect, I wasn't heart set on him being a star. It may just be that I have not seen enough of him? Anyone care to enlighten me on what you guys and the media sees?:)
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There are a lot of things to like about Luck:

He's got prototypical size for the position at 6'4" 225+....
    He's mobile...
    He's hard-nosed... Check out some of his runs and tackles
    He's very accurate...
    He's very smart...
    Great arm and can make all the throws...
    Has demonstrated success at Stanford...
    He's pro-ready having played in Harbaugh's pro-style offense the past few seasons...
  3. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,125 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    About sums it up
  4. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    He's another Drew Bledsoe, got the same amazing physical intangibles etc...plus better mobility, which Troy Aikman had early in his career.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,550 Messages
    1,415 Likes Received
    Probably one of the most accurate passers you will ever see. He can make all the throws. If he got into Stanford which is the almost the equivalent to an Ivy league school, you know he is smart enough to learn any offense. Most importantly his team wins about 95% of the time with mostly lesser athletes.
  6. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Stanford, at the undergrad level is better than Harvard or Yale.
  7. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    He reminds me if Aikman, big, strong, great arm, very accurate.
  8. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    If I had $5 every time Mel Kiper said a QB can "make all the throws" I'd be rich ;)
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,630 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    I think he has more than just better mobility when compared to Bledsoe. He is more accurate than Bledsoe. Luck also has much better pocket presence. Bledsoe couldn't sense pressure to save his life.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received
    He processes information unbelievably fast. He is one of those guys that sees things at a different speed on the field. You can see it when he plays. Physically, he is as good as you will see from a Pro Style QB. He has Elway type skills in this regard. However, he is special in how he can see the field and understand what's going on, on the field. He is more disciplined then Elway was. More mature IMO. He reminds me physically of Elway but he is much more like Aikman in his maturity level. This guy also puts in the time in the film room. Very impressive young man.
  11. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Collegiate and Patriot Bledsoe was an elite quarterback, Cowboy Bledsoe was diminished.
  12. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,630 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    Never said he wasn't elite. Said he was not accurate or had pocket presence.
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    At his best an in his prime, Bledsoe was a good QB. I have a very hard time trying to call him "elite."
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I agree. What I see in Luck if very much what I saw with Payton when he was with Tenn.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,923 Messages
    9,009 Likes Received
    Kiper says he'll end up with a grade rivaling Elway. Which is the highest grade he's ever given a player.

You can't point to one thing with Luck. He does all things well. He's the complete package.
  16. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received

Fair enough. I appreciate all of the answers.

How much superior is he as a prospect to say: Sam Bradford,Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and Matt Stafford. ( Just naming recent top picks)
  17. ringmaster

ringmaster Well-Known Member

1,765 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    He rivals them very well and is probably better than all of them.

He really do remind me of Elway quite a bit in terms of talent and if the Colts take him then their replacement curve for Peyton Manning after he retires gets smaller he's one of the best prospects I've seen coming out of college in quite awhile.
  18. ringmaster

ringmaster Well-Known Member

1,765 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    I agree with that and to think the Colts are linked to drafting him if they continue down this slide.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    everything I have heard from the so called experts is that he is in a class by himself. There has not been this much buzz about a QB prospect since Peyton Manning. Aikman and Elway are the two other prospects I can remember having this much buzz. Leaf was over rated by several people who supposedly knew; but no one thought Peyton would be a bust; this is the same thing I am hearing about Luck.
  20. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Good company as only four number one pick QB's in history have ever accomplished the goal of winning a Super Bowl, they are in order: Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, John Elway and Peyton Manning, every other top pick quarterback has failed at this to date in the 92 year history of the NFL and 45 year history of the Super Bowl.