1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What is the deal w/ Courtney Upshaw?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by egn22, Mar 20, 2012.

1. egn22

egn22 Active Member

841 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    He never really gets mentioned by anyone here in regard to the cowboys first pick.
    I'm not promoting him by any means, i don't really know much about him, but it just seems weird that he's always lumped in with the top pass rushers, but never really seen as an option for dallas.

What are your thoughts on him? is there any chance he'd be a good fit in Dallas?
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,838 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Funny, I was just thinking about Upshaw.

His measurables really limit his potential. He's so stiff looking and benefitted from a great defense. I wouldn't take him at 14, that's for sure

That being said, I really like Upshaw--the guy is a hard nosed football player and will succeed in the NFL. I'd love it if his lack of athleticism dropped him to the second round. I'd trade up to get him there.
  3. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,037 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    He was a top 10 pick after the NC game.I think he needs to do a private workout to get his stock back up.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    Upshaw already plays here. His name is Spencer.
  5. joshjwp

joshjwp Member

188 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I read somewhere that the Cowboys view him as another Anthony Spencer.

If you are going to get similar production from Upshaw that you would Spencer, it would make a lot more sense to pay the 2.5 mil or so/yr that Upshaw would get as a middle first round pick rather than 9 mil or whatever it is to Spencer.

However, I think the general consensus is that we can do better than that with the pick elsewhere (more value at other positions) and get our Spencer replacement in next years free agency or draft.
  6. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I think he's going to grow into a natural 280 lbs. player as a pro. He weighed 272 at the Combine, and I think he had to cut to get to that. I actually like his as a future 3-4 DE, especially if you don't ask your DEs to 2 gap all the time. People act like he was this 3-4 movement OLB in college, but Saban actually runs a hybrid scheme and Upshaw was asked to drop back in coverage very seldom.

As the NFL gets more and more spread out and wide open, I think defenses are going to have to get smaller and more mobile to cover the entire field. The days of the big battering ram teams just pile driving into each other for 60 snaps a game are gone. People are going to start to rethink these old school prototype heights and weights and see them as increasingly irrelevant and outdated.
  7. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received