1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What is your definition of a successful season?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by john van brocklin, Dec 22, 2012.

1. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,567 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    I have been a Cowboy's fan for 37 years.
    I am not crazy enough to think we should win the Superbowl every year, that is not realistic as there are 32 teams competing for that prize.

I just consider a positive season one in which we meet or exceed reasonable expectations.

I was thinking 9 and 7 going into this year would be good based on the offensive line weakness.

How do you judge each season as good or bad ?
  2. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

12,022 Messages
    1,249 Likes Received
    Depends on the team you have the better the team the higher the expectations. Considering how mediocre the Cowboys have been the past 2 seasons missing the playoffs both years a successful season for this team would be a playoff birth. That would be a step in the right direction and a successful season as far as I'm concerned.
  3. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    There are many factors to take in before actually putting a desired record on it.
  4. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,429 Messages
    2,284 Likes Received
    Wait a minute. So you rate the pros and cons of the team, decide what factors will give them an advantage, and subtract the ones that give away the advantage, and then come to a conclusion on what a realistic outcome should be?

Is that what you mean?

Because if it is, then some here will tell you you're negative.

I do not expect the team to get to the Super Bowl every year. When they do not it is disappointing. be it 5-11 or 13-3, there is a sadness when they do not make it to the dance.

Some people seem to think that means I expect a Super Bowl every year.

Some people have reading comprehension issues.
  5. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Come on back to earth, buddy. Nothing to read between the lines.

I think its fair to say that I do weigh such factors.
    Lets say at the begining of the year Id expect a deep playoff run with around 12 or 13 wins. However, the first game Romo breaks his femur, Carr and Spencer get suspended for domestic violence. so on and such....
    Obviously, my expectations are reduced and a trip into the playoff will be somewhat impressive.
  6. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Given the severe roster limitations (o-line) that Jerry the GM saddled the coaches and players with...and given the extent of the injuries...

This is nothing but elite greatness from the guys on the field and the staff. I mean c'mon....half the defense is now guys we got off the street. And outside of two or three games the run and pass blocking as been abysmal.

So in one sense this team has exceeded reasonable expectations.

That said, in the big picture, it's sad to see another year of Jerry-Jones-Pharaoh-Cowboys-in-Captivity.
  7. Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys Active Member

344 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    How about a team that can preform well consistently week in and week out. Minimizing mistakes and stringing together wins. If they could do that regardless of their record, I'd say it was a successful season.
  8. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Considering how the defense has been guttted because of injuries and the hole they dug at 3-5, for Dallas to make the playoffs would be a successful season IMO. After that everything is gravy. If the boys can run the table and win the division that would be huge as far as the confidence going into next season. EVery team has to learn how to win and Dallas has done that. They have not won pretty , but they believe that they can comeback and win and that is HUGE.
  9. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,895 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    I don't know about each season, but I think we need to win at least one of our last two games to feel good about this season (9-7)...
  10. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,457 Messages
    1,099 Likes Received
    A Super Bowl win. Nothing less.

I know it's not realistic but I was spoiled as a kid... Cowboys won it all in 3 of my first 4 years of being a fan. Anything less is a huge disappointment no matter what my honest assessment of the team is.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,992 Messages
    4,513 Likes Received
    Every organization should have short term, intermediate and long term goals. You can subdivide your organization and make goals for those.

For overall goals it's the Division crown, then the NFCC, then the SB. Each subdivision will have its goals to help the overall organism to achieve those.

Every step helps you towards the finish.
  12. fairviewfarmer

fairviewfarmer Member

338 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Playoffs.
  13. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,865 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    In general, to me, a successful season for the Cowboys is a season where the team is noticeably better than it was the previous year. It goes further than stats and wins and losses, but if the team was 8-8 last year, I'd expect 9-7 or 10-6 and maybe a playoff berth this season. We can't win the SB every year, but we can be moving towards it.

This year, all things considered, a successful season to me will be a win in the final game, whether we win tomorrow or make the playoffs or not. I hate the ****** Skins.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,159 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    1 playoff win !!!
  15. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Making the playoffs while winning at least a few games that didn't almost give me a heart attack.

This has been a failed season. A couple of blowout wins to end the season might salvage it.

:cool:
  16. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,809 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    I started out with expectations of the playoffs and at least 1 playoff win, if not 2, depending on if we won the division. but as things fell apart with the OL, all the defensive injuries. My expectations turned to hope....hope the could finally get it together and still just make the playoffs.

Well now they have that chance, and to be a successful season is to win the last 2 games, and win the division, get a playoff win, and a quality win. Will that be beyond expectations from when they were 3-5, yes, but even then I believed they could still turn it around and at least make a run for a playoff spot.

As for expecting to go to a SB every year....yes I do expect that....but sometimes reality hits you like a falling boulder....:D
  17. sacowboysfan513

sacowboysfan513 Well-Known Member

1,969 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    At the beginning of the year, a successful season would have been making the playoffs.

After winning that first game against the giants, a successful season would have been winning a couple playoff games

NOW...making the playoffs. Back to original. If they beat the Redskins on the last game and go into the playoffs because of it, it will definitely have been a successful season in my eyes.
  18. RomoIzDaMan

RomoIzDaMan New Member

48 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Cowboys have raised expectations by winning 5 o f their last 6 games,and 3 in a row in their most dreaded month-December.A successful season now is going to the post season and winning at least one playoff game.My heart CAN'T TAKE ANOTHER CHOKE JOB LIKE LAST SEASON :banghead:
  19. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,610 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    If they finish 9-7 I'd say that's a win. They've been through hell, started 3-5, missing 7 defensive starters, worst o-line in football, I don't like to make excuses but its' not like any of experts had them picked to go 12-4 and win the NFC or anything.

But in today's league of parity I've learned to never say never. This team could go 10-6, roll Seattle in Dallas, go to Atlanta and get revenge in a place they should have won, and ya never know.

Never say never man.

I've learned to never doubt the power of positive energy in a group. This is a tight football team, you can tell how the guys all have each other's backs, no more rifts, no more rats, just a football family.

Despite their lacks of talent and multiple injuries they remind me of a boxer that's cut over both eyes, that barely has his legs anymore, and the ref is waiting to call off the fight - but someone someway they throw a few jabs and a cross and boom their living to fight another day.

If this team wins these next two games, and they get that momentum and that same kinda energy that the Giants are notorious for carrying into January - then this may be a very dangerous team in a suspect conference.

When players and coaches all start to believe and buy into that 'hey man why not us?' Then great things happen. We all knew this team was gonna fold, almost all of us were certain that there was no way they were gonna bounce back from 3-5, but here they are controlling their own destiny.

Man I love this time of year.
  20. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

That's a broad based question.

Throwing expectations of any particular season and the injuries occured in that season out of the equation.......I have a single minimum goal in mind that equates to a successful season for me......and that's advancing to the divisional round of the post season.

If you make it to the final eight, you've accomplished something. You've either finished with a top 2 regular season record in your conference, or you've beaten another playoff team.

And you're three wins from a championship. IMO you are a contender.

For the 2012 Cowboys, that was my expectation. For all the *****ing and moaning about this hole here and that hole there, in the final analysis, we had more than enough heading into 2012.

Any reasonable and objective evaluation of our roster in comparison to the other 32, would put us firmly in the top quartile.

We had an elite QB and more than enough elite talent and depth to get it done. The only two things that could keep us from reaching the divisional round were injuries and or subpar coaching.