1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What is your definition of a successful season?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by john van brocklin, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,867 Messages
    861 Likes Received
    A successful season would be getting to week 17 and playing for a playoff birth and division title.

If they win that game and make the playoffs it becomes one of the best seasons of the past 20 years.
  2. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I agree
  3. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,383 Messages
    705 Likes Received

That tells you just how lean things have been the past 20 years.
  4. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Simply put Playoffs. You must reach the second season to have a chance at your teams goal set at the beginning of the season.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,438 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    I imagine successful season takes into account many factors. This team is physical and doesn't quit. That's success compared to some recent teams. Acquisition of depth has been successful.
  6. zeroburrito

zeroburrito Active Member

4,073 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    2 playoff wins.
  7. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    You make the playoffs=Good.
    You don't make the playoffs=Bad.
  8. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,610 Messages
    317 Likes Received
  9. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,480 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I think expectations play a role in this as well.
    I remember after we whipped the Giants the first game,
    thinking we might have something really special.

Then we crashed and burned at Seattle : (
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,867 Messages
    861 Likes Received
    If you mean it forces one to look at the reality of the team then yes, it does.

Gotta love fans who sit by and demand Super Bowl or bust 20+ years in a row.
    They are akin to the cat ladies.

I am a coach and I hate to lose. But you create realistic goals based upon circumstances. Very seldom can you go from 20 years of futility to Championship in one season. This team needs to focus on playing meaningful football in December every year. They can have winning this division as a goal. They can even aim for winning any home playoff games. But outside that the goals would be more adequately labeled dreams.

If winning this division and a home playoff game is considered a failure than by all means I hope we fail this year.

I hope each week to win the game and deep down make my self belief we can. But I also know taken in context over the course of a season any goofball that expects to go win the Super Bowl every year is clinically insane.
  11. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

634 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I like most would say a first round playoff win, on that note, does anyone think that Romo still holds onto what happened last time we played Seattle in the playoffs and if so what impact would it have on his mental well being to finally beat Seattle in the playoffs?
  12. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A Super Bowl victory is what makes a successful season. Nothing less will do. If you are talking about individual success then that is something different. I think Dez is having a successful year as well as a few others like Witten. But overall, when you talk success you talk the team as a whole and the goal is a Super Bowl victory.
  13. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    For me, expectations change during the season and going in. Like I was still only a kid but after we won two super bowls in a row in the 90s, I expected to go there every year lol so when the Niners beat us, I was disappointed.

Fast foward, big three retires and so when a Quincy Carter led team made the playoffs, I was overjoyed.

Going into this season, I expected 8-8 because I wasn't buying into the o-line or the defensive changes to make that much of difference.

Now as it stands, no playoffs would be majorly disappointing but not to the point where I'd want anyone fired like I did when they were 3-5. I try to be realistic and see how the team is playing besides wins and losses.. but that only lasts so long.
  14. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,417 Messages
    840 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys win one of the next 2 games and doesn't get blown out in either then I'll live with it.