1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

what is your favorite Dallas Cowboy win?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by lane, Jun 24, 2005.

1. lane

lane The Chairman

11,061 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    1. the 92 nfc championship against the 49er's does it for me. When alvin caught that slant to seal the deal......... man, i'll take that to the grave.
  2. jamez25

jamez25 Active Member

1,617 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    gotta go with that one too....Jason Garret's Thanksgiving Day game versus Green Bay is also a favorite....
  3. THEHEREAFTER

THEHEREAFTER Well-Known Member

2,508 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    How could any Boys fan not go with this one! This was the changing of the guard! Revenge for the 81' championship game! Honestly, I knew we would win that game. Dave Wandstedt's D was #1 and we had the triplets... We had just dominated Philly in big D in the divisional round while SF played a sloppy game in beating the Skins in Gibbs last year. I knew we would win and how sweet it was!

Although I'm kind of old school.. last years Seattle game brought me so much Joy in a dismal season. No way I though JJ could out top his Bears performance but he did. What a wonderful win against a playoff team in their house when they really needed it!
  4. marsbennett

marsbennett Mars Man

1,068 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know it's nuts, but the win over Washington in '89 with Paul Palmer and Steve Walsh was especially satisfying that year for a couple of weeks. The downside is we missed the number 1 overall pick in the draft because we had drafted Walsh in the Supplemental draft. One of Jimmah's few mistakes....along with the Stan Smagala trade those first couple of years of 'Turning the Thing Around.'
  5. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,622 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    I for one thought Smagala was going to be a keeper... he was lightening fast, (second fastest behind Alexander Wright) and could hit... he just couldn't find the ball.

My favorite win by far is the 79 win vs the Skins, then the 99 win in the season opener... and of course what was mentioned before, the win last year vs Seattle... because I was there. 10 points down with less than 2 minutes?? My buddy that I went with was a big Seahawks fan and he kept saying, "Man, they are going to lose this game, I can feel it... " and he was right. I had such a blast at that game... now they are going back there again this year but I won't be in the area.... :bang2:
  6. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    After a childhood of losing to the Steelers in the Super Bowl getting to see the Boys get one up on the Steelers for the thumb ring did it for me. :) :star:
  7. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    hell... the Vinny to Crayton game single-handedly provides Redskin stomping fun year-round...
  8. Sarge

Sarge Happy New Year! Staff Member

21,117 Messages
    1,975 Likes Received
    Denver Superbowl win for me.
  9. HITBYROY31

HITBYROY31 New Member

40 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I Think My Favorite Game Was The Game In Washington When Aikman Hit Rocket Deep For 6 In O.t.
    There Was No One Around Him.
    The Best Thing Was I Was Watching The Game At Work With A Bunch Of Skins Fans.
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  11. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed, that game marked the end of the 49er reign as the class of the NFL and it was sweet revenge for "the Catch" as well.

The only other game that came close was the first SB victory when we beat the Dolphins. Being the Champions for the first time was sweet.
  12. PaEagleHater

PaEagleHater New Member

252 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Would have to say the battle for the thumb. Made it even more sweeter that I was watching it with a house full of Steeler fans. The Bowl win over the Broncos a close second. Of course anytime we beat the Iggles it is a very sweet win...
  13. Trophy#6

Trophy#6 New Member

172 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is the one that first came to my mind. I remember them saying Mrs. Garret was just like throw it up to Alvin he'll go get it- and I believe that's what he did too.

Extra sweet with it being the Packers and them thinking it was their day to finally upseed the bully Cowboys...lol they couldn't even do it with a 3rd string qb against their cherished pillpopper Farve, we owned them like no team has ever owned a team before and that game proved it,...with exception of the Redskins as of late though.
  14. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,111 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Can't remember the exact year, I was a kid. It was the Thanksgiving game against the Redskins, Clint Longly comes in for Roger, who had a concussion. He lights up the skins...Pearson makes a 50 odd yard TD catch with about 30 seconds left. I know most of you saw the clip. I won 25 cents off of my Uncle.

Being the kid that I was, I don't know why they didn't smack me. I was jumping and screaming for about 5 minutes after that catch. Just a moment I'll never forget, even if I don't remember the date....lol
  15. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,435 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    The last four of the five Super Bowl wins which I had the privilege of seeing. Heck, after each touchdown in Super Bowl XXVII, I went outside my house into the street and howled, "HOW 'BOUT DEM COWBOYS!"

That was fun, but one of my neighbors took offense and called the cops. They rolled up towards the end of the game. One of them was a Bills fan. That kinda sucked. :(
  16. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,292 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    I agree with this one. I wasn't even born or was too young to experience the victorious and glory days of the Cowboys during the late 60s and 70s. In fact, my earliest experience that I can remember as a Cowboys fan was "the Catch". I remember watching it on television in Missouri, crying after it happened, yelling he was "out of bounds" until my mom came in and calmed me down and said it's just a game.

Watching the 92 championship game was sweet, especially when Alvin caught that pass and raced to the end zone. Both me and my brother were up yelling "go, go, go". I'll never forget the feeling I had that day after that last whistle blew. A feeling that was consummated by watching the Cowboys blow out Buffalo two weeks later. My first SB experience for my favorite team. Times were good...
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    I have been a fan far to long to narrow it down to one game. All of the ones mentioned were great games. I start thinking of an answer and I think of all the super bowl games, the hail mary game, TD's 99 yard run game, I could go on and on.
  18. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,577 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    1977 Superbowl against the Broncos. It was my first Superbowl and we were going up against the "Orange Crush" defense. Sounded intimidating to a 9 yr old. Also the fact that Denver could only come up with a grand total of 156 total yards of offense.
    "Doomsday" was the defense of the day!!! Craig Morton (ex-cowboy) was intercepted 4 times and Denver also fumbled 4 times. I saw my first halfback option pass thrown by Robert Newhouse for 29 yards to one of my personal favorites....Golden Richards. And a co-MVP of Randy White and Harvey Martin. I got to have my cake and eat it too.
  19. calico

calico Well-Known Member

4,264 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    The 1979 regular season finale against the skins.
  20. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,376 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    you remeber Paul Palmer taking it 60 yards for the score on one play. Dont remmeber who it was against, but it was just straight up the middle and down the right sideline. I dont remember many individual plays from that year, but I remember seeing that and thinking, not bad. Course he did nothing the rest of the way of note, but that one play sticks in my mind. I never heard of Paul Palmer before that season. Never heard from him again, but that one play was a bright spot in a dark year.

As for the win I remember most, Thanksgiving day 1975/76 against the skins. When Glen Carano came in and won the day after Roger was hurt. The 50 yard hail mary to drew pearson. I remember that cause my dad started cussing and ranting after that play. Turns out he bet against the boys that day. To this day my dad will not bet on a cowboys game, he hates them, but knows they will always win more then they lose.