1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What Kiffin Won't Do

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Jan 11, 2013.

1. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,523 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    Is improve the defense if he does not have the right players to effectively run his scheme.

I'm not a big Tampa 2 guy, but will wait and see. But it appears there is a swing now in the zone that this guy is Mr. Defense, and he may well be.

But looking at Tampa Bay, who was his high water mark, you have to wonder how these players in a completely different scheme and defensive front will fit into his mold.

If he has to retool, then this will not be a turn around from one season to the next. Nor will Jerry be very tolerant of Garrett since he's had a long time to make this work.

Garrett is being forced into the conventional head coach position, and that is something he seems to have been bucking since taking over from Wade.

To sum up, Kiffin will need time to change out the players if he truly is going to run what he ran in Tampa. If so, considering the cap, then this will be a several year process.

He will also be 76 by then.

So unless Gruden comes in, this is mo0re of the same of what I expect from Jerry.

Because the real big negative part of this is, if it takes several years for Kiffin to get the team assembled...

How old will Romo be again?
  2. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    This move is ********. Our scheme was fine this year and our defensive coach did an outstanding job. He was right when he said, "When you play that way for the first 10 games, you're supposed to be 9-1 and or 10-0." "We were 5-5."
  3. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,655 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    He immediately improved Tampa's defense.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,833 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
  5. Falcon554

Falcon554 Well-Known Member

1,077 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    I think this is going to be a disaster and cost JG his job next year. But this is what JJ does, nothing he does is logical.
  6. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,454 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    I don't get the love affair with Ryan. I get we had injuries but even when healthy we couldn't run anything correctly or get turnovers. We were 28th in league in turnovers and gave up the most yards almost 40 years. I'm glad he's gone.
  7. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,004 Messages
    1,581 Likes Received
    The defense had improved over last year's, but through 10 games the defensive passer rating (which is really the most important defensive stat) had the Cowboys a little lower than the middle of the league.

In other words, the way the defense played, they should have been 5-5.
  8. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,627 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    not sure if you saw the rumors that he was missing defensive meetings, Eberflus was having to conduct them and there was internal conflict amongst some of the defensive coaches.
  9. Falcon554

Falcon554 Well-Known Member

1,077 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    Heard that to but it does not mean you have to bring in Gandulf as DC
  10. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,459 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    In the same season that Houston switched to the 3-4 with Wade as the D-Coordinator, they finished top 5 that year.
  11. gimmesix

8,655 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    I really think that's one of the things Dallas really looked at. It's a passing league, and Kiffin runs a passing defense.
  12. gimmesix

8,655 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    Or how about San Francisco last year in their first with a new head coach and defensive coordinator?

Just because it took Rob two years to implement his defense does not mean good coordinators can't do it quicker.
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,836 Messages
    5,414 Likes Received
    We could have hired Captain Kangaroo as the new DC and half this board would be high fiving themselves.
  14. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,115 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    The scheme was fine?? We ran a mostly non blitzing 3 - 4 with very few turnovers. The scheme was not fine. I am not saying Kiffin will be an upgrade, we will have to wait and see, but the scheme was a problem. Of course the REAL problem, "The Red Headed Idiot", is still employed, so it may not matter who is coaching the defense.
  15. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,627 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    is age the only thing detrimental in your opinion?
  16. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Merge......

:horse:
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,152 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    Ain't that the truth.

Evidently the only guy that would've been a bad hire was Dave Wannstedt.
  18. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,523 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    Kiffin's defense is a bend don't break defense. They play for turn-overs and sacrifice run after the catch to try and break on the ball, or strip the ball carrier.

Between the twenties he doesn't care.

And truthfully yards given up don't matter. it is points allowed. That is why all these stat gurus on this board who argue yards and such miss the point.

If your defense is giving up 15 points a game, then why should you care that they give up 350 yards per game. Just score 16 consistently and you will win.

This is a feast or famine type of defense, and it is expected that he will step in and transform them into a turn over machine.

But personnel is what makes schemes work. And if this personnel doesn't fit the scheme, and because of cap, and talent acquisition Dallas cannot put those players on the field the first year or two, then the expectations of the Kiffin Krowd will be a little pie in the sky.

He is a good coach. But a mechanic is only as good as his tools.
  19. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,459 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    On the flip side we could have hired the reanimated corpse of Tom Landry to coach the defense and people would complain it was a Jerry move.
  20. fishspill

fishspill Active Member

937 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    My only fear, and I don't think I'm alone here, is that this is yet another instance of Jerry buying two more years to sell the product "Hope" instead of the product "Success."