1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What Kiffin Won't Do

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,518 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    That's false.

I'd guess about 70% of this forum is negative on most things.
  2. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,003 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    From what I can see, most of the tools are a good fit. And there are a few I'm unsure of who could prove to be fine fits as well and shore up the questionable spots.
  3. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....because it's so true.:lmao:
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,549 Messages
    1,728 Likes Received
    Id say 60% of this board is objective and the other 40% have an agenda one way or the other.

Most of it is coming off as negative though because the Cowboys don't give us much to be positive about.
  5. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,003 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    According to Rick Gosselin, Tony Dungy says three dynamic pieces are needed for this scheme:

The first one is Ratliff, if healthy, but Dallas probably needs to hedge its bets there.

The second one is Carter.

The third one could be Church, but again, Dallas needs to cover itself there.

I look forward, BTW, to Ware not having to drop into coverage anymore. To me, there's always been something wrong with a scheme that takes your best pass-rusher and doesn't always give him the opportunity to rush the passer.
  6. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,799 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Why are you saying bye to me?
  7. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,971 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    The Tampa 2 is predicated on pressure by the defensive line. Period.

Now ask yourself why it was that the Redskins pushed Dallas all over the field in their running and passing game.

The answer is Dallas does not have a smash mouth defensive front. Think of the last time Dallas actually manhandled a team with their front seven.

So, Dallas will take these same players and try to get pressure where they have not before to the extent of running the Tampa 2.

This defense is about stout defensive tackles that can maintain the middle and stop the run. Because when the middle linebacker, and that will be Bruce because of his size and speed will vacate to cover the middle of the field offering what essentially is the Tampa 3, with the middle linebacker guarding the middle of the field, that puts the tackles on islands with the running game.

So if you do not have defensive tackles that can hold their ground and prevent the run, then you will be gashed.

Since Dallas hasn't shown it can put on pressure, then it is my contention unless they draft the right people and come away in FA with the right defensive front, this will not transition as well as some think.

I am not knocking Kiffin, but the idea that this team has the components as it stands to play this defense. It takes two solid tackles and pressure.

Another aspect of this defense is that two TE sets with athletic TEs press the seams and force decisions by the weakside linebacker and safeties. This is where the mismatch will come.

Last is this defense does not care how many yards it gives up between the twenties. It is predicated on sacks and turnovers. The scheme does not do all the generating of these important aspects of the defense.

It takes the right players.

Now Kiffin may be able to tweak the defense and make it shine. But there will need to be a drastic change in the interior defensive line to play this defense. And pressure from the outside.

Because if you do not put on pressure, the DB's are in trouble.
  8. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Only if Mr. Greenjeans was his Asst. Anyone on this board old enough to know who that was.
  9. Falcon554

Falcon554 Well-Known Member

1,139 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    Nope but your telling me they only DC they could find is older then Jerry? Im sorry I dont care how well he did with Tampa, can he handle what it is going to take to fix this D? I have my doubts.
  10. OklahomaCowboy88

OklahomaCowboy88 Benched

265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're one of the best reads on this forum TwoDeep, but I disagree entirely that it'll take long to get the playeres in. Ware is a pressure player. Hatcher and Ratliff get pressure up the middle. Lets not forget Brian Price who drew comparisons to Sapp pre-draft. So we need another DE. We already have fast linebackers. Our corners can play any scheme. Safety is a concern. So a DE and a S or two. Not that big a deal.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,029 Messages
    7,514 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's the thing. If you knew me in the early 90's you'd swear I was a card carrying homer.
  12. Risen Star

21,029 Messages
    7,514 Likes Received
    Sadly, I am and I do.
  13. Risen Star

21,029 Messages
    7,514 Likes Received
    All true, TwoDeep. I'm not so sure this scheme switch won't make it more likely we go DL and not OL in the draft.

I understand needing those pieces but I can not tolerate another year of a franchise quality QB playing behind such a marginal line. I'd sooner revamp that and look to out score people next year.
  14. dfan32

dfan32 Member

273 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Depends if he could bring Mr. Green jeans with him or not.
  15. TwoDeep3

5,971 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    That is the thing RS.

I still love the team and it hurts like hell when they lose.

I just have no faith in Jones and his ability to build a team.

But I was one of the biggest homers ever in the 90's.
  16. OklahomaCowboy88

OklahomaCowboy88 Benched

265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Same here.
  17. Risen Star

21,029 Messages
    7,514 Likes Received
    I was cocky and confident. Now I'm bitter and afraid.

17 years of losing will do that to you.

On the plus side, the next title might be the sweetest. If we live to see it.
  18. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,879 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Lee is the Mike, not Carter. Lee will be the best at covering the deep zone.
  19. TwoDeep3

5,971 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    My fear is the team needed offensive line, and now because Jerry doesn't get that he just manufactured the need for defensive line because of scheme change.

So we are now weak at two areas instead of one.

I think Ryan's defense - if healthy - could have kept the team close enough if the offense was revamped and and they improved the offensive line and got one more quality receiver.
  20. TwoDeep3

5,971 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received

Yes, I tried to correct that and it had already timed out on me.