1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

What makes this team different from previous years

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DABOYZ, Nov 19, 2013.

1. DABOYZ

DABOYZ Active Member

706 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Is there anyone out there that believes this years version of the Cowboy's has what it takes to win the division and make the playoffs? Does anyone believe this team is better than in years past or are we just hoping the teams within our division lose enough games to allow us to back into the playoffs. I don't think this years team is as good as last year even without all the injuries. They seem way to inconsistent and it is upsetting to see this team regress year after year. Sadly enough we could be one of the 1st teams ever to go 6-0 in the division and still not win the division at 8-8.
  2. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

1,096 Messages
    653 Likes Received
    Nothing at all makes this team different from previous years. Nothing...

Well, our defense is a lot worse and our offense is a little less worse than our defense...

But other than that, nothing.
  3. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

4,465 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    Yes its different. we were a better team the last 2 years.
  4. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Exactly what I was going to say.
  5. lostar2009

lostar2009 Well-Known Member

1,416 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Thank JJ for this... Do you guys see correlation ? JJ fires RR, bring in Kiffin and our defense goes south real fast after our first few games. JJ removes JG from the offense and our offense noise dives into a black hole. Say what you wish but it is what it is.
  6. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,283 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    On offense I disagree, with Cole Beasley, and the way Dez has stepped up his game this offense can be vastly different than last years(see Bill C and Tony as to why it is not). The Offensive line is no longer always a sieve and Doug Free to his credit has found another gear playing RTackle. I would also argue that Fred at center has changed our offense for the better, that leaves Leary and the other guard holding down the line, although these are all significant changes the biggest one is that Tony Romo is playing differently than he has in past seasons, some will say that cyst is the real culprit others may point to his new contract either way IMO he is both the problem and the solution to our offensive dysfunction.
    On defense with all the injuries it is like the little dutch boy trying to plug the damn that is leaking. I do not think we are as bad as out stat numbers such as against Detroit nor are we as good against the rush like we exhibited with the eagles. This defense has taken some huge hits and it bears little resemblance to what was put together during training camp. I am giving thumbs up to Scandrick, Hatcher and Sean Lee as all are playing at pro bowl level. I will say that next man up mantra is getting somewhat tiresome these days. IMO
    jobberone, StarHead69 and cowboys1981 like this.
  7. dropdeadfred5

dropdeadfred5 Active Member

145 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    Actually Free has started to decline since Waters went out.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

34,775 Messages
    11,216 Likes Received
    I think we definitely can win the division, and I reject the idea that doing so is somehow 'backing in.'

I don't think this current team--after the various DL injuries--is appreciably better than previous teams. The talent we do have that's contributing is younger, though. That's hopeful for a team that's been steadily improving with each recent draft and whose got some big contracts coming off the roster soon.
    Carharris2 and dragon_mikal like this.
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,831 Messages
    3,129 Likes Received

this
  10. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye.

15,515 Messages
    2,735 Likes Received
    Garrett's best chance to make the playoffs was probably in 2011. Unfortunately, two absurdly improbably losses against the Giants at home and the Lions kept the Cowboys at home for the playoffs.

You hope they would've learned about how to win from those games.
  11. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

3,338 Messages
    1,997 Likes Received
    We've replaced the following areas

Secondary:

Sensabaugh, Hamlin, Newman, and Jenkins to Church, Wilcox, Mo and Carr.

LB corps:

Brooking, and James to Lee and Carter

DLine:

need to make changes!!!

Oline:

Gurode, Adams and Kosier to Smith, Leary and Frederick that are new faces that will have an impact here for years to come.

Receiving corps:

From Crayton, and Roy to Dez, Terence, and Beasley.

RB's:

need a durable back we can count on.

QB:

need a QB we can groom.
    DABOYZ likes this.
  12. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,857 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    sadly once again one player makes our line where other teams can lose their starters and not be as affected as we are. For us its a calamity for other teams its a bump.
  13. Idgit

34,775 Messages
    11,216 Likes Received
    What one player are you referring to here?
  14. ShiningStar

6,857 Messages
    716 Likes Received
  15. Idgit

34,775 Messages
    11,216 Likes Received
    Ok. I lost track. I didn't realize we'd been hampered by RG play here. It seems to me the bigger problem is the lack of DL pressure and the injuries to our press-coverage players in the secondary.
  16. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,437 Messages
    1,247 Likes Received
    A few of the younger players are better (although too often injured) but the 2011 core has just plain aged out. The offensive line is better than the bottom of the league levels of the past two years, but the offensive design has if anything, become even more predictable for opposing defenses. Garrett has done essentially nothing there.

The defensive line has gone from a position of strength to one of critical need in just two seasons. the defensive scheme has migrated from 3-4 dysfunction to 4-3 disaster, not sure where it goes from here, but hopefully a new head coach with cred is hired and brings in his own DC / OC, or is one of them and fills the roster with players suitable for whatever scheme he deems appropriate. What a novel concept that would be.
    cowboys1981 likes this.
  17. ShiningStar

6,857 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    you are correct, but umm, how has all that stopped us from scoring again? Oh thas right, like Romo plays on defense, our defense does the scoring, gotcha. Kudos there, because up until facts and reality, i was buying your argument.
  18. ShiningStar

6,857 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    so far a lot of younger players are NOT impressing anyone, for fact go see Dunbar. Because both I and Dunbar dont see what the fans are seeing about him.
  19. Idgit

34,775 Messages
    11,216 Likes Received
    Lol. Our third down conversion rate being at the bottom of the league is what's been hurting us recently, but that's not been because of our RG play, of all things. Brian Watters' being out is pretty far down the list of the things that have been negatively impacting this team, overall.
  20. ShiningStar

6,857 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    but again, we lose one guy on the line, we are hindered. We lost one player, scoring is now an issue. Frankily its a big one. But im sure other injuries dictate that as well. But again, our line loses one player, jsut one, and its a horrid mess. For other teams, a bump.