1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What makes you optimistic of the 2013 Cowboys

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ehcrossing, Jun 21, 2013.

1. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,325 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    Getting some real Depth both Offense n Defense across the field, Jason not calling plays and the changing of the guard on "D" to the 4/3.....ok, okay, plus even Jerruh can't blow it forever.
  2. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,267 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Excellent post.

I'll add to it by saying we are getting players back from injury. Getting healthy and being able to stay healthy already makes us a much better team.

I think our O-line should be better this year with another year under Callahan's system. Frederick should be able to help anchor the middle and open up some running lanes.

The defense will be better due to Lee and Carter, and due to Ware and Spencer doing predominately one job, getting after the QB.

Look for Claiborne to really step it up too!
  3. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,577 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    I think Allen/Johnson/Wilcox is a heck of a lot better than Sensabauh/McCray/Silva. But just like everything else, we'll see.
  4. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,170 Messages
    36 Likes Received
  5. ehcrossing

ehcrossing Well-Known Member

610 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    Yeah,I guess it does look a bit better than last years group on paper.. We will find out soon.
  6. DallasDomination

DallasDomination Well-Known Member

6,239 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Actually Lebron took it and the Spurs let one slip away at the same time. besides there's so many other variables that went into play in the series it's foolish to point to one thing or player.
  7. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,610 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    1 rebound and Lebron is wearing goat horns(back to back turnovers).. but pop would rather bench his best rebounder in order too match up with Heat small lineup, with a two possession lead.Pop was playin' with house money, he should have played for the rebound..Who cares if they hit the three, you still have a 2 point lead!You grab D board, gameover!

#popaintphiljackson

One intentional foul and Lebron's a choker
  8. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,484 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    Last year we had almost all our defense injured and probably should have won 11 games anyway. And we had one of the toughest schedules in the NFL. This year looks like a much easier schedule and I doubt we see near as many injuries. I honestly expect 11 or 12 wins.
  9. ehcrossing

ehcrossing Well-Known Member

610 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    I agree.
  10. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,523 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    1. I am not as confident in Callahan since he was not the swiftest play caller in Oakland.

Nor do I believe giving Romo carte blanche is any different than what he had before.

However, I do think another year for Harris, getting rid of the deadweight in Ogletree, bringing on Williams and the next level for Hanna will reap a dividend.

2. Health is a big issue and will dictate the season maybe more than anything else.

3. I am not buying into the coaching change on defense nor the defensive scheme change.

But, I do like Mo and Carr, Lee and Carter, and Ware.

I also like that they are putting Spencer into a position of a one year contract. Come big or leave.

So there is a benefit there.

4. I think the notion this will be an easier schedule is bull manure.

So I am cautiously optimistic, and perhaps they can break the 8-8 jinx.

I hope so. I'd like to see a healthy team in the tournament with a focused Romo.
  11. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,808 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Agreed
  12. DanTanna

DanTanna Original Zone Member Zone Supporter

2,192 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    I think last year we would have been VERY good if not for our defensive injuries!

Our D constantly let other teams hang around, thus putting pressure on Romo to carry the entire load (no running game). Also upgrading our OL slightly gives me a little hope too.

13. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,574 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    If the Spurs had just made 1 more free throw in Game 6, they almost certainly would have won the game, irregardless of anything LeBron could do at or after that point.
  14. Mactin

Mactin Member

72 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    To put it simply:

Romo focusing more on the team

The draft picks they picked in New York

Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line coach (Or Bill Callahan) now calling the plays

Defensive Coordinator coach ( Monte Koffin) Calling defensive plays

And the change from 3-4 to 4-3

If they don't make it to the playoff this year, at least they made changes and tried.
  15. randy932

randy932 Member

526 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    The maturation of Jason Garret as a HC.
    Having an improved OL with a real improvement in the center of the line.
    Having a simpler and better coached defense.
    Having two coaches (HC and OC) attempting to minimize mistakes made by the QB.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,836 Messages
    5,416 Likes Received
    I don't believe we've improved much in the offseason so I'm expecting the same 8-8ish team the QB is going to have to carry on his back to a playoff berth.
  17. ladiewolve

ladiewolve Member

695 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I start every year optimistic no matter what!:)
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,146 Messages
    2,991 Likes Received
    They gained more than they lost.

The best player lost was Mike Jenkins and he was the 4th option at CB when everybody is healthy. Felix was the 2nd best player lost but he was fat and out of shape last year. Sensabaugh had a lot of experience but was never a very good player.

Now:

Healthy: Costa, Kowalski, Church, Murray, Ware, Ratliff, Lee, Carter, Scandrick, Matt Johnson...

Maybe Healthy by game 1: Bernadeau, Livings

Added (draft): Frederick, Escobar, T. Williams, Wilcox, Webb, Randle, Holloman, UDFAs Magee, etc..

Added (FA): Durant, Allen

More mature/experienced: Parnell, Leary, Matt Johnson, Carter, Hanna, Crawford, Wilber, Bass, Lissemore, Claiborne, Albright, Dunbar, Harris, Church

Full off-season with the team: Sims

D-Coordinator: Ryan out, Kiffin/Marinelli in

Assistant OL coach: Phillips replaced by Pollack

Other possible upgrades on coaching staff: Bisaccia, Dooley, Brown

Other possible improvement: Callahan calling plays from the booth, Garrett with more focus on the overall game
  19. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,610 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    We're screwed!
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,833 Messages
    1,616 Likes Received
    You left out the most obvious one in Barry Church. He missed the whole season last year.