1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What nobody is talking about...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by goshan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. goshan

goshan Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,884 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    The end of the 2nd half where we punted is totally reflective of how poor JG is at game management and in-game decisions.

Its 3rd down. We are in range for a 52 yard FG. The options should be one of two things:

1. Run the ball or call a short pass play to make the attempt shorter. Then kick it.
    2. Take a chance for a pass for the 1st, but then kick it.

YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT THROW THE BALL DOWN THE FIELD AND THEN PUNT IT. THAT IS TOTAL CHICKEN XXXX AND JUST STUPID.

You have to try a 52 yard FG. I am sorry, this is the NFL. And we have one of the best kickers in the game.

I want the guy gone.
  2. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Its total reactive BS after this sissy gifted New Orleans 3 before the half last week
  3. goshan

1,884 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Yes I agree. Garrett does that all the time. He reacts and gets all skittish.
  4. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,442 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    I agree with this.
  5. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,588 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    You do realize that if he misses then Washington gets the ball at their own 42, right? They punted instead. Made sense to me.
  6. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,475 Messages
    403 Likes Received
    Brought it up elsewhere, hated that series. Garrett has faults, and I agree being something of a chicken$#!+ at times is one of them. You need on 3rd down to evaluate what you want out of the drive, and from there, I am inclined to treat it as either a 4 down set or at least attempt to secure a decent FG position. He STILL should have attempted the points from there. But, he's still got pre-pubescent testes.

You want everyone gone. Some deservedly so, some not so much...
  7. goshan

1,884 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Whatever. You need points to win games. If you weren't comfortable with a 52 yard FG, we should have gotten a few more yards. Instead we throw the ball on the outside 18 yards down field. Its a dumb decision.
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Adam brought it up last night and was as cyber-angry as I've ever seen him. Called Garrett a coward (or at least the act was cowardly) and said it was his biggest failure.
  9. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,517 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    So how about we never try a FG again because of the negative consequences it can have? :rolleyes:

Give me a break. This is the NFC East title game. Man up and try a FG for the lead. Quit playing with your tail tucked between your legs. Geez!

And we punted into the endzone anyways. With a net of 15 yards. Big whoop.
  10. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    what makes it even worse was the BS punt that moorman delivered. Kicked it right into the end zone for like a 15 yard net. Huh????? Just go for it on 4th down, then, if you don't want to kick the FG.
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,859 Messages
    2,082 Likes Received
    If you know you'll punt it if you don't get a 1st down then you try to shorten it.

I sent my friend a text before that play saying we need to run the ball here and get the points.
  12. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    It's a classic Garrett move. Overreact to last week's criticism. It goes back to 08 at least when he called 10 running plays one week and the next week he went run heavy after enduring a week of criticism.
  13. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....only matters if Al Davis Jr. agrees with it: he isn't getting any younger....starting to look like Al and the crypt keeper morphed into one billionaire bumpkin owner:laugh2:
  14. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,490 Messages
    1,626 Likes Received
    This team has too many 3rd downs, I haven't looked up any stats, but seems we rarely get 1st downs on a 2nd down play, seems we are always in a 3rd down situation.

Also last night, seems it was always a run on 1st down, as I thought they needed to pass more on 1st, to set up the run better, keep defense off guard. It was like with all the blites, they knew what the offesne was going to do....typical....
  15. Boysathelm

Boysathelm Benched

89 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    You don't try for the 52-yard field goal. It was pretty windy in that game, and the chances of Dan making that kick in such conditions would have been slim.
  16. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,588 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Actually a difference of 22 yards in case he missed a field goal that he has never made before, which there is a very good chance he misses.

Be smart.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,859 Messages
    2,082 Likes Received
    And we could've snapped the ball and got it 5 yards closer.
  18. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,110 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    yep, he definitely should have gone for it... I understood not kicking the FG in the wind, but that was pathetic not going for it near the Redskins 30 yard line.
  19. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    The biggest aspect of that sequence is that our punt team waited until the other team got set while running their extra 5 or 6 players off the field, instead of snapping the ball and getting a free 5 yards to make it a 47 yd FG. The entire team has no mental capacity whatsoever. I'd wager they've been instructed to wait and see the receiving team's alignment before they snap, so that's exactly what they did. Same reason the offense snaps the ball as the playclock expires, and same reason the D is running around not set before the other team snaps it.

I remember a HS basketball game a few years ago, where the ref whistled the ball in play, but one coach kept his team huddled a few more seconds. The opposing team inbounded the ball and got an uncontested bucket. Were Garrett the opposing team's coach, they'd just wait til the other team was on the floor and set before throwing it in.

And yesterday, Mike McCarthy foolishly threw a challenge flag on a turnover. Jordy Nelson, knowing the rule and that it's an automatic challenge and that throwing the flag is a penalty, grabbed the flag and tried t hide it.

Do we have a single player who would've thought to try that? I seriously doubt it. More than likely, most of our guys would be like Donovan McNabb, admitting he didn't know the overtime rules.
  20. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Give me a break, this is the same clown that desperately tried it in Baltimore to win the game.