1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What nobody is talking about...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by goshan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. dueyhemlock

dueyhemlock Hog Hunter

998 Messages
    12 Likes Received

I know when substitutions are made on offense, the refs hold the ball some for the defense to do the same.

Not sure how that works when kicking is involved.
  2. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...typically goes to the side who called it. It's their time out.

If offence calls it and they are ready to go the ref must whistle the start of the play.
  3. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,061 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    That rule is supposed to apply only when the offense changes personnel AND rushes to the line of scrimmage to try a quick snap. It's not supposed to apply in normal situations when the defensive team is simply confused. I don't remember whether we rushed out there quickly.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Yeah. That's always the risk but if it was such a worry, nobody would ever try long FGs.

When coupled with the fact that Garrett called for a 48 yard kick later in the game, his halftime BS is total idiocy. A shining example of how in over his head he is.

As the OP stated, it was 3rd down and Dallas had a 52 yard FG on the board.

If 52 is punting territory, where's the yard marker where he kicks it? IMO, you absolutely run the ball and for 2 reasons.

1. Murray's gonna get 2 or 3 yards. Now the kick is 49 yards.

2. You force Washington to use their last timeout. Now they have no timeouts and no matter what you do, they have to be conscious of the clock. Seeing how they just ran one play and then went to the half, maybe they don't use their last timeout and Dallas then takes the clock down to a few seconds and can now try a kick without any threat of giving the ball to the Skins.

In that situation, a made kick gives you a 3 point lead going into half. A missed kick gives the Skins the ball with 35 seconds or so and no timeouts.

Best case: Up 3

Worst case: Down 3....unless we assume the defense collapses. I'm content with calling a FG likely.

When he elected the for the kick later on, Dallas was still going to need a TD to get the lead anyway. Washington would have had a full quarter to work with too and extend their lead.

Best case: Down 4

Worst Case: Down 14

He literally passed on an opportunity to take the lead at half with a kick but later made the opposite decision in a situation that could have resulted in Washington putting the game out of reach.

His decision making is completely stupid. You cannot justify passing on a long kick when you have the chance to get a lead and then later take a slightly shorter kick when the worst case outcome for you is having the opponent put the game out of reach.

This, is just another example in a long list of examples. Not much different than a couple of weeks back when Murray bailed him out with a terrific run to move the sticks.

He doesn't know how to manage the game. End of story. He is in over his head.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,074 Messages
    1,935 Likes Received
    Good point.
  6. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,437 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    Garrett is so wrong about not kicking from the opponent's 35 it's sickening. I know it annoys Adam as much as it pisses me off. Just cowardly crap that takes away an opportunity for valuable points.
  7. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Moorman was screaming bloody murder at someone after that punt. Initially I thought he was going off on himself because he sent it into the endzone.
  8. AdamJT13

15,061 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    Except it's not correct. We finished 11th in the percentage of first- or second-down plays that picked up first downs -- higher than five playoff teams, including Green Bay.
  9. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    People don't like to be exposed & have factual stats in front of their eyes Adam... Better run
  10. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

961 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    They could have gained 5 easy yards just by snapping the ball before all the Redskin players had made it off the field. Collingsworth said they didn't have 11 men on the field. I'd like to see that again as it looked like only the Redskins down linemen were on the field. I thought maybe the punter could have ran for the first down, but I wasn't really sure what the heck Washington was doing.
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    There have been so many instances of this boneheaded decision making over the past couple of years that it is pretty much 99% clear that Garrett does not handle these situations well.

His decisions are so boneheaded that it is actually confusing. Where is the method to his madness? It's very unpredictable and without reason or pattern. How many times have we watched a game and have the announcer just utterly confused as to what's going on?

Football is a game of inches. And our coach is more than willing to give up inches and points because of what has transpired in the past and because he's been criticized before.
  12. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,443 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    1. Did you notice both teams kicked to the sideline and short in that direction when kicking off? No way we were going to try a FG of longer than 40, in my opinion in that direction.

2. Every play has a progression with guys in short, medium, and longer patterns. The coach doesn't dictate the audibles or to whom Tony throws the ball. His int on 2nd and 5 in the first quarter wasn't called to throw long to Miles Austin on the sideline...that was one guy in the pattern. Tony decides where to go with the ball. On second down he threw a short crossing route to Witten on sideline that only picked up a yard or two.

That said, I do think we need a fresh approach on offense. The question is how far does that set back Witten and the receivers like Dez in both learning and syncing with Romo?
  13. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

961 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    Right before the snap. Look how open that left side is. No one home.

9 yards is a long way though, and you can see the Redskin player trying to get over there.

[IMG]
  14. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,727 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    http://cowboyszone.com/forums/dallascowboys.php?t=250247

The play takes place at the end of the 2nd video. As WAS is rushing it's PR team onto the field, watch the umpire. Guy perches himself between LP and Moorman, with his hand up, making a "hold on" gesture, until WAS got their players on. Moorman was screaming at the officials after the punt. Not sure if the officials were right, but I don't think so.

Didn't like the call to punt in the first place, but the refs kept us from taking advantage of WAS's confusion.
  15. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,459 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    It was a pure nutless call, even AdamJT called Garrett a COWARD for not going for the points there.

Maybe one of these days we can get a head coach that doesnt wear panties.
  16. Beast_from_East

15,459 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    Totally agree.

But if Jerry is cool with being .500 every year I guess I am too.
  17. Beast_from_East

15,459 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    Adam is once again giving the cool aid drinkers a classic beat down.

I love it.:)
  18. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,850 Messages
    1,108 Likes Received
    OMG! I was beside myself with that Bull ****.
  19. AdamJT13

15,061 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    I called him a coward for punting, not for not trying a field goal. If it's too far to kick a field goal because of the wind or whatever, then go for it. Throw it. Run it. Fake a punt. Fake a field goal. I don't care -- just don't willingly give up the ball from the opponent's 34-yard line unless you're comfortably ahead. At least TRY to score when you're that close to scoring range.
  20. LifetimeBoysFan

LifetimeBoysFan Member

148 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Even worse as Collingsworthless pointed out they could have snapped the ball with the Skins still changing personnel and got a free 5 yards to make the attempt more manageable! How many times do you need to try and get extra yards to take a shot at a freakin FG for crying out loud?