1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What picks did you like and NOT like?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by newlander, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,851 Messages
    1,108 Likes Received
    Call me crazy but I, personally, liked every single pick. In aa draft where there were no clear cut blue chip players, we capitalized on the overall value of the draft. It was an immensely deep draft filled with very solid players that will perform at the NFL level.
  2. BRoni

BRoni Active Member

525 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    Go Gamecocks #spursup
  3. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......but I sure hope he doesn't turn out to be the DT equivalent of Randy Moss....we shall see.
  4. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.......hopefully HOLLOMAN....will be the MAN:laugh2:
  5. Keystone_Heavy

Keystone_Heavy Member

275 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well, considering that Simms, Albright, and Justin Durant are his competition on the strong side, it would be a huge disappointment if he doesn't make the team.
  6. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,565 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    didn't like:
    Wilcox
    Webb
    (would've preferred Phillip Thomas vice another project S from a no name school)

Ok with:
    Frederick
    Holloway

Loved:
    Randle
    Williams
    Escobar
  7. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

882 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    Favorite Picks: C Travis Frederick, WR Terrance Williams, S JJ Wilcox, CB BW Webb

Least Favorite Pick: TE Gavin Escobar. Nothing against the kid, and he could be a great player, but Dallas has a lot of needs and spent a second round pick on a backup tight end.

Questionable picks: Don't know if RB Joseph Randle can be the workhorse back if DeMarco Murray gets hurt. And to be honest, I don't know enough about LB DeVonte Holloman to make an assessment.
  8. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,584 Messages
    2,461 Likes Received
    Well you think Warmack has power and apparently not this guy. Willful ignorance when you can see him drive and turn Jordan Hill and Kawann Short while Warmack has to fight to even stand up John Jenkins, Daniel McCullers and Bennie Logan.
  9. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,471 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received
    After having some time to objectively review our picks, I can say that I really like all of them.

I still think SF screwed us on the trade down, they should have thrown in atleast a 4th rounder extra, but they probably were playing hardball and told us to take it or leave it. So I cant bust Jerry's balls to hard if this is how it went down.

I sure as hell remember this and if SF comes calling next year I tell them to F off.

Like I said in the discussion thread during the draft, I think Garrett might actually be better at player evaluation than coaching. I could see a scenario in the future where Garrett is in charge of player personnel and we have a new head coach.
  10. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I feel the same way, althouhg I do like Frederick's potential.
  11. Kareemovweet

Kareemovweet New Member

13 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I have to admit that I never heard of Frederick, but I have read that he was the best center in the draft and can play guard too so the jury is out and we will just have to wait and see.

I think we should of received at least SF's later second rd pick instead of a third but I think Jerry panicked and time was running out and had to take it.

I never heard of Web either but reading about him doesn't sound too bad but I would have taken Green from Rutgers at that spot if they were looking for a LB and then looked for BPA with the last spot..
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    This is pretty much where I am at. I don't have a problem really with any of the players but the positions were wrong in rounds 2 and 3.

I'll admit I was a bit let down when Dallas picked a guy who most had rated well below the 31st overall pick but all things considered, he's probably my favorite pick at this point.

For some reason I like the safety. Don't now why but I do. Probably because it beats the thought of Will Allen.
  13. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Why? They didn't have to trade. Presumably any time a team trades they think they are getting a good deal. Don't know why they'd flat out tell any team to piss off after having traded with them.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,601 Messages
    5,511 Likes Received
    Loved every pick especially Escobar. Listening and reading about him and what he brings to our offense in the red zone is really going to be something worth watching.

Frederick, highest rated center in the draft, Williams and his deep threat and likely moving Austin to the slot eventually, Webb and his cover skills and dangerous kick return skills, Randall is a straight up beast and even Holloman all bring a lot to the table.
  15. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,851 Messages
    1,108 Likes Received
    I believe a move to the slot would be beneficial for Miles and will ultimately prolong his career in Dallas.
  16. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
    I liked all the picks.

Especially the corner.

You can never have enough corners.
  17. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Escobar needs to be viewed as a complete TE which means he apparently needs to figure out how to block. If he can't, what's the point of the 2TE? If all he becomes is a big WR, what has been accomplished? It's basically the exact opposite of the case when Bennett was around.

The reason the 2TE didn't work with Bennett was because all he was doing was blocking. This on top of the fact that he wasn't even getting 50% of the snaps. For his time in Dallas it looks like he only got in there about 45% of the time. On top of that 60% of the time he was on the field he was blocking in some capacity, which ultimately resulted in him even running a passing route about 11 plays per game.

If you're going to run a 2TE offense both of them have to be good in both areas. Otherwise you might as well be going with 6OL or 3WR.

I know many have this idea that Dallas can somehow emulate the Patriots to a certain extent but that's not going to happen if Dallas doesn't get a guy who can both block and catch. The Patriots don't have to bring either of their guys off the field because they can't catch or block.

These are PFF stats.....might as well get that out of the way. Although I'm not sure simply counting plays is such a statistical mind boggler that there's much to complain about.

In the last 3 years, they have almost an equal number of plays going out on passing routes. Gronk at 1356 and Hernandez at 1368. The biggest difference between the two is in run and pass blocking with Gronk getting a ton more work in that area. Likely because he's better at it but not because Hernandez can't do it. Hernandez has 100 run blocking attempts than Bennett did in Dallas and he's done that with 1 less year in the league.

In Marellus' entire time in Dallas he's down for 706 passing plays where he went out on routes. Witten had 2169 in that span. Bennett is also down for 182 pass blocking assignments. This is on a total of 1825 plays. Aaron Hernandez has 54 of those on 2288 plays. That's four times as much for Bennett.

Of course there are likely multiple factors involved in why Bennett was basically a babysitter on the OL. His ability to seemingly screw up just about every opportunity after his rookie season is probably a large part. But the other part is probably because the OL flat out sucked. People sit in awe of all the time Tom Brady has yet seems to go unnoticed when fantasizing about their TE combo.

If the OL is not improved, Dallas will again be forced to babysit one of the tackles......just as they did with John Phillips 2/3rds of the time he was one the field in 2012. If Escobar cannot block, it'll probably force Witten to block more. If the OL can't hold up and they need help, you're not going to ask a guy who can't get the job done to be a blocker. That's why he needs to become a blocker and that's why Dallas doesn't need a blocking TE. You can't have a guy who comes in only to block and a guy who comes in only to run routes. Where's the advantage?

This guy needs to learn how to block. There's no reason why a guy his size shouldn't be expected to block. If he can't block, he's not gonna be on the field as much and he's pretty much gonna be a #3 WR.

It works for NE because both guys can operate in both capacities. LBers can't keep up and safeties can't match them at the line. They have the advantage in both phases and can exploit both aspects by not allowing the defense to substitute. If Dallas has to bring in someone else to block, the defense can counter.
  18. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    Honestly I think everyone we drafted can play. I have no problem with any of them. What I have a problem with is our lack of commitment to fix one of the worst O-lines in the league as well as being in denial about the quality of D-tackles we have. I do understand these 2 things can be fixed with Free agents, but when the draft is pretty deep at these spots and you do not address them it is just bad management. Even if I give them that Fredrick was the best Center, which may turn out to be the case, is he so much better than Barrett Jones and Brian Schwenke whom were both taken in the 4th round, which is where I would have expected them to address center that we needed to use a 1 on him? I sure hope so. I would say the same thing for Escabar. Like him a lot, but is he that good that we needed to take him with plenty of O and D line options there at 47? I hope he is that good. I was hoping to leave this draft with 2 top 15 lineman (T,G,C) 1 DT and 1 FS. WR, RB, and TE were luxuries we could fix later IMO. We got 2 of the 4 must haves IMO FS and Center. We will see what happens. If they can find another DT and G, and sign Clabo, I will be very happy with the offseason as a whole. That line was so bad that until I see it fixed I can’t get that excited for the surplus of weapons.
  19. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    If it helps move Scandrick out the door I am all for it. Much cheaper too.
  20. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received

Hoofbite, this might be your best post ever. Well done!