1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What player do you NOT want in the first round?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by JonJon, Feb 22, 2012.

1. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Devon Still.
  2. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,023 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    Kirkpatrick and Upshaw. I also think Kirkpatrick will make a good safety, but thats a too much of a gamble at 14. And Upshaw I just dont see having the elite speed and athleticism to excel rushing around the edge in the NFL.
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,269 Messages
    2,696 Likes Received
    What's surprising about it? He's not eye-popping as a CB, is likely a Safety convert, and is a bonehead.
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Loool, and what exactly does "eye-popping as a CB" mean?
  5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,023 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    Hes going to lack the elite speed and agility/fluid hips to keep up with some NFL receivers. I think he will make an above average CB, but I think he will be best suited at FS. Taking a similar career route as Malcolm Jenkins. He's really a similar player in general to Malcolm.
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the "bad hips" thing has just been parroted and has now snowballed into what it is now. It's beyond me where people are getting this. I'd be willing to bet he's going to be one of the better performers in the agility drills (3-cone, shuttle, et cetera) at the combine and will time much better than a lot of the smaller CBs; what makes him special for a player his size are his fluid hips.

I am interested in seeing how he runs at the combine.
  7. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,717 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    His hips are fluid, especially for his size. Add that to his size and strength and he could be special IMO.

I will be watching him at the combine, interested in his numbers.
  8. ferrispata

ferrispata Active Member Zone Supporter

304 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    What are the negatives for Upshaw? I am genuinely wondering. I don't watch too much College football so was hoping for opinions. I have read some good things about him recently.
  9. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,337 Messages
    957 Likes Received
    Brockers.

I have no idea what people are seeing in him.
  10. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I made a point to follow him coming out of high school because he was the top rated CB. I've seen nearly every game he has played. So for me, it's not an opinion stolen from someone else. His hips are not very fluid and he doesn't have great speed. Pay attention to the back peddling drill if he does it at the combine and you will see the tight hips I'm talking about.
  11. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I guess the guys I am skeptical on include

D Still - hot/cold, 1 productive year, etc.

Brockers - I think he's interesting, but you're drafting mostly on potential, imo. Higher risk/reward type.

not sure what to think on Kirkpatrick yet. I would rather go with Jenkins purely at the CB position, however.

Upshaw - I think he can be "solid". Like Spencer, imo. Not going to be a huge sack guy though. I don't think he'll be a bust.

I doubt we take a WR in Round 1 in any case.
  12. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Kirkpatrick or Janoris Jenkins ... dont want anything to do with the Weed Brothers ... ill pass and pick Defensive front 7 guy thanks.

But both of these players fit right into a classic Jerry "ooo shiny" pick. Once these gusy run their 40s at the combine and post under a 4.4 Jerry will be salivating.
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We'll have to see. That's all that can be said I guess. The combine is crucial for him in my mind.
  14. casmith07

27,269 Messages
    2,696 Likes Received
    He doesn't jump out at you as an elite prospect like say, Morris Claiborne, or Patrick Peterson.

I think the gap is substantial between Claiborne and the rest of the CBs, but between all the other guys it's not that far. Janoris Jenkins might be a little better than the field.
  15. casmith07

27,269 Messages
    2,696 Likes Received
    His hips are nowhere near as fluid as Patrick Peterson, and Peterson is bigger than him.
  16. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Dont want any part of Jenkins in the first. Whats he going to do when someone gives him 2 mil a year. Not real high on Devon Still. I am ok with most of the other guys if the Cowboys are.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,273 Messages
    4,818 Likes Received
    That is what I was thinking also...maybe just a little athletically limited. Too bad Maurkice Pouncey is not in the draft when the Boys have the 14th pick. The 14th just seems to high for Konz, but Dallas really needs a center.

Have you evaluated Phillip Blake from Baylor. After watching him, I'm more impressed than expected based on reading reports about him. I'm sure it a minority opinion, but I like him as much or more than Ben Jones and Brewster.