1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What Position Do You Think We Take With Our First Pick?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Verdict, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,367 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    What position do you think we take with our first pick if we stay put at #18, and does it change if we trade back?
  2. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I think were looking at BPA between G or Safety with Safety holding the higher importance for round 1.
  3. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,452 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    I think we only take a safety if someone like Vaccaro is there (that would be an intriguing pick)

I more likely see Guard or DL, specifically DT...I think they are REALLY gonna try to get spencer back and he will be the DE opposite of ware; not sure I like the idea of what spencer will be paid, but I think they are going after him

IF Warmack is there, I think he needs to be the pick; his OLine mate Fluker REALLY intrigues me if we trade back...I don't see him at T, as he is more of a G to me (and played it some in college)....his size and skills lend to OG
  4. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

896 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    DT or DE. I don't see them going OL or S in round 1.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,641 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    You don't choose a specific position...maybe a few. Then you take the best player that fits in that group when your time comes. If none left are worth pick 18 then you drop down some.

The group is DT, DE, OG, S,....but if if by far the BPA is not one of those then you take the BPA or trade. Or at least that's how the best teams do it
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I think we go DT because Hatcher is the perfect 5-tech for this defense at LDE.

OTOH, at DT Ratliff is coming off of an injury. Crawford is more of a 3-tech than a 1-tech. Lissemore is more of a rotational player. We don't know what is going to happen with Brent.

Now combine that with this draft being full of high-quality DTs and I think it is a natural position for us to invest a high pick to get an impact player. If the high impact guys are gone (Floyd and Richardson) it may make most sense to trade down into the late first or early second round and go after one of the guys in the second tier (Short, Jenkins, Hankins, Williams...). Hopefully with that extra pick we'll be able to grab a Safety and an OG in the second round.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,633 Messages
    3,355 Likes Received
    Depends. Could be OT, DL, or S. And a player could slide. Might be an interior lineman even although more likely that's in the 2-3.
  8. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    This 100%.
  9. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,081 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    I would be surprised if we took anything but D-Line.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,608 Messages
    4,163 Likes Received
    I take his question as specific to the players that we know are in this draft.

IMO, there is a high probability that OL or DL is either the BPA or on the same Tier as the BPA.
  11. DFWJC

22,641 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    Don't you think if Warford or vacarro slid they they would be possibly BPA at 18?
    Maybe even Cooper or a WR depending on our scouts...and especially if there is a massive rarely run on dline?
  12. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,367 Messages
    145 Likes Received

Correct. I meant in terms of who we may be targeting in this draft.

XWalker, where do you see the sweet spot in this draft for Dallas based on needs and players likely to be available? How big is the sweet spot? Can you see us trading down and still get a highly coveted type of player that we might be targeting?
  13. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    Lacey. He's more shinnier then the others.

:D
  14. DFWJC

22,641 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    I have my issues with JG, but I do think he is gradually getting more and more allies on the staff that don't go for the shiney objects.
    Kiffin, Garrett, and Marinelli combined may be able to keep the kid away from the hot frying pan.:laugh2:
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I agree. Brockers was the target last year until they had the chance to trade up. They have not added much so I think DL will be the pick. DL includes DE and I think Ansah would be a Jerry pick if available. He would like his own version of JPP.
  16. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think we'd most likely go DL, OL or Safety.

I think it's unlikely we go QB, TE, RB, WR or LB in Round 1 (assuming we stay at 18).

So, if we stay at 18, I guess it would be guys like Floyd, Richardson, Ansah, Warmack, Cooper, etc.
  17. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,425 Messages
    1,635 Likes Received

My thoughts too.

DL, OG, S. Common sense says that since NFL teams typically value DT above OG and safety, then they would be more likely to take the DT, and if I had to guess now, that's where I'd say they pick in round 1.

However, if they really like Floyd and Richardson for DT and both are gone, and Warmack is sitting there at 18, I'd fully expect them to take the Alabama guard because he will be rated significantly higher than the next DT (probably Kawaan Short).

With Vaccoro's skills in coverage and how highly he seems to be rated by those around the NFL, I wouldn't be too surprised to see us take him in the first. However, I would be surprised if we took him over either Floyd or Richardson because of the difference in positional value (DT>>S).

Anyway, all my focus has been on DT's, OG's and Safeties because that's where I expect the first round pick to be used.