1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What team is 6th in offense & 5th in defense in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MichaelWinicki, Nov 8, 2012.

1. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,557 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Yards gained and yards allowed are almost meaningless stats in my eyes. When evaluating an offense or defense I think points scored or points allowed are much better indicators of how good they are.
  2. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

You need to re-evaluate what you think a good defense is.

Where are the turnovers?
  3. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,987 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    And part of the reason for that is we are last in takeaways, and worst in TO differential. We ALWAYS have a long field to go.

I've never seen a team so allergic to takeaways. And its been going on since Wade, maybe even Bill.
  4. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,415 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    Exactly.

Cowboys are ranked #5 in defense (by yardage). Bears are ranked #6.

Quick -- who you got?

:p:
  5. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No I think you need to re-evaluate what a good defense is. Yes they do need to create more turnovers, but they also should be given credit for coming in and constantly getting big stops and keeping teams out of the end zone. They've faced some of the best and most explosive defenses in football this season and have done a terrific job.
  6. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    This is great news for Jason Garrett though.

He can put #6 ranked NFL offense in 2012 on his resume when he is applying to MAC schools after this.
  7. perrykemp

5,415 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    Hey! Don't dis the MAC.... :eek::

Central Michigan University grad here...
  8. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    What ever you think man. The Bears D is EXPLOSIVE. They get the ball and they take it to the endzone. The Cowboys? Not so much.
  9. perrykemp

5,415 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    The Defense is ranked #5 in yardage and #16 in scoring. Makes sense scoring would be higher since the offense is turning over the ball at an alarming pace and putting huge pressure on the D.

My thought is this -- is a top 5-7 defense WITHOUT the turnovers and if they could start generating turnovers they will be top 3-4.

Problem is the majority of all NFLturnovers are interceptions and safeties usually play a big part in generating those safeties and the Cowboys probably have the worst pair of safeties in the league at the moment.
  10. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

A ton of my friends are NIU grads, and I think that conference has interesting matchups.

signed,
    went to a school without a football team
  11. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Defense has played well this year, the offense just hangs them out to dry with a magnitude of turnovers and ineptitude. We haven't scored more than 29 points in a game yet this season. Sorry but that isn't a top offense. I honestly can't believe you'd try to pass it off as such. We are tied in PPG with Brandon Weeden and the Browns.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,391 Messages
    2,113 Likes Received
    I don't think the defense not getting turnover is as much of an issue as the offense always giving the ball away themselves.
  13. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,829 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    The 2010 Chargers finished with the #1 offense and #1 defense, yet failed to make the playoffs!

(That was the same year that the Raiders swept all of their division opponents, and yet wound up third in the division! Weird year for the AFC West.)
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,391 Messages
    2,113 Likes Received
    Washington is top 10 in turnovers. Does that make them good?

Would you take that defense over Dallas?
  15. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I never said the Cowboys have a better defense than the Bears. Just simply stating that your comment that because we don't force turnovers that means our defense isn't good is just inaccurate. You don't have to force turnovers to be considered a solid defensive unit. You need to just come in and get stops and keep teams out of the end zone which the Cowboys have done.
  16. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Your statement would be true if we didn't turn it over so much. When your team has a -11 turnover differential (19 giveaways and only 8 takeaways), your defense has to get turnovers or you won't win many games (3-5)
  17. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Let me guess.....

You thought the Cowboy defense did a good job agaisnt ATL

Despite not forcing a turnover, despite not making them punt after 6 minutes left in the second quarter. 450 total yards.

Dont get me wrong, I am anti Jason and anti Rob

Robs dudea couldnt find a turnover in a bakery.
  18. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They did a very good job. Atlanta was averaging nearly 30 points a game coming in. Against the Cowboys defense they only scored 19 points which is their lowest output of the season. We lost the game because we only managed to score one touchdown. Hard to win against anybody when you struggle so much to get in the end zone.
  19. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well then the Cowboys need to stop turning the football over so much. It's that simple. You can't be constantly be putting your defense in such a bad position against explosive offenses. Considering all the turnovers and mistakes by the offense putting them in bad spots the defense has done a great job.
  20. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    We rank 30th in the NFL in creating turnovers (takeaways). Sure, the offense needs to play better, but you don't think that's a problem? And this goes back to the Parcells era, it's not just this year. We just don't take the ball away.

The Bears and Falcons are ranked #1 and #4 in the league respectively in takeaways. That's a big reason why they're the top 2 teams currently in the NFC.