1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What the Mock?!?!?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by stasheroo, Apr 1, 2012.

1. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,127 Messages
    1,822 Likes Received
    Finally got my lazy butt around to compiling my yearly exercise in futility, otherwise known as a mock draft:

#14 David DeCastro - OG - Stanford - 6'5" - 315

The can't miss, no-brainer in my opinion. Plug and play from day one, watch the Pro Bowl appearances build and don't worry about one guard spot for a decade. Given this team's struggles in assembling an offensive line, you take the sure thing when it comes to you - and be thankful!

#45. Josh Norman - CB - Coastal Carolina 6'1", 203

Small-school athlete with good size/speed ratio. A natural athlete with loose hips. An agressive playmaker with both eyes and hands for the interception. Should be a good fit in an agressive Rob Ryan defense and will have time to adapt to the pro game.

#81 - Philip Blake - C - Baylor - 6'3" - 312

Finish the job started with the drafting of DeCastro and complete the rebuilding of the offensive line. Blake would provide an immediate upgrade over last year's starter Phil Costa. He combines great strength and durability with surprising mobility and the ability to get to the second level in the running game. He will be a bit older than other prospects but combines starting readiness with the potential to be even better.

#113 - Hebron 'Loni' Fangupo - NT - BYU, 6'1", 325

A naturally thick, prototypical nose tackle which I feel that Rob Ryan wants in the middle of his defense, if not to supplant Jay Ratliff, to relieve him in obvious running downs.

#135 - Akiem Hicks - DE (5T) - Regina (Canada) - 6'5", 325

A naturally huge man with uncommon athleticism and agility. Equipped with extra long arms to help separate from opposing blockers. Brings versatility as he has lined up in numerous positions along the defensive line. Looked good at East-West Shrine Game against higher level of competition. A bit raw but has great potential to improve.

#152 - Brett Roy - OLB - Nevada - 6'3", 260

Hard-working warrior who eats, sleeps, and breathes football. Leaves it all on the field on every snap. Not the prototypical athlete but effort overcomes any deficiencies there. An emotional leader who will inspire those around him. Has position versatility having played several front 7 positions.

#186 - Aaron Henry - FS - Wisconsin - 6'3", 215

A solid free safety candidate that this team still needs. An intelligent, high-character player with excellent ball skills (6 INT's the past two years). A great candidate to play deep safety in a Rob Ryan defense.

#222 - Matt McCants - OT - Alabama-Birmingham, 6'6", 310

A developmental offensive tackle who looks the part with great size, long arms, and the frame to add solid weight. Shows good mobility to pull and lead block. His game needs refinement but the tools are there and the Cowboys would do well to add another tackle.

UDFA's

Chase Ford - TE - Miami 6'6" 258 - History of injuries but played well at Shrine game

Adrian Hamilton - OLB - Prairie View A&M - 6'2" - 246 - Small shool stud who achieved a record-breaking number of sacks against inferior competition

Coty Sensabaugh - CB - Clemson - 6'0" - 185 - Cousin of current starting safety Gerald, a bit raw and has not started a lot of games but has solid upside potential

Shawn Loiseau - ILB - Merrimack (Massachusetts) - 6'0" - 240 - Feisty, emotional leader who plays the game very physically. Can contribute immediately on special teams.

Matt Conrath - DE - Virginia - 6'7" - 277 - Developmental 5 technique prospect

TJ Graham - WR - NC State - 5'11" - 176 - Speed-burner, possible return man candidate

Jonas Gray - RB - Notre Dame - 5'10" - 230 - Power back with all the tools, late-season injury leaves him undrafted

Patrick Witt - QB - Yale - 6'3" - 220 - Highly intelligent developmental prospect

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

(And yes I have purchased an extra box of Kleenex for draft weekend)
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,642 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    Not a bad effort Stash. Doubt the final product resembles it but like alot of it.
  3. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,858 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    Covers a whole lot of needs and wants, nice...:D
  4. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,351 Messages
    720 Likes Received
  5. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I don't like taking Fangupo and Hicks in the same draft not to mention back to back so early. Neither really has shown the ability to slide outside to DE and the odds of us taking 1 NT is probably small, 2 is nill.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,493 Messages
    9,640 Likes Received
    That's the kind of meat and potatoes class we need. A real strong emphasis on the trenches.
  7. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Hicks should be able to slide along the DL. Fangupo is definitely a NT only.
  8. stasheroo

18,127 Messages
    1,822 Likes Received
    I'm forecasting Hicks as a 5-techinque DE rather than a nose tackle.

But I value your opinion and appreciate the feedback!
  9. stasheroo

18,127 Messages
    1,822 Likes Received
    That's what I was going for, I think those areas are overdue for a significant investment.

Thanks for the feedback!
  10. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'm not saying he cant make the move, I think it would take some time to develop. I'm not going to sit here and say it's crazy, it has been mentioned.

I did enjoy the rest of it, I just think outside of the obvious need for a legit DE the defensive line is getting a little crowded to spent 2 early picks on it.

Matter of fact when I sit here trying to justify it in my head I'm reminded of the feeling I get so many times on draft day so your probably spot on!:D
  11. 151

151 Member

48 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My first mock I had Decastro, Blake, and Henry. So good job. If Decastro did fall to 14 I would love for it to turn out that way. But I don't think he'll make it that far, hence changing and tweaking my mock a few times. Would be ecstatic if we got those UDFA, (Adrian Hamilton, Patrick Witt) add Shawn Powell the punter to that list if he isn't swooped up by the 7th.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,493 Messages
    9,640 Likes Received
    I think DeCastro will be there and I think we pass on him.
  13. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    Yeah, I like most of it.

If we could somehow get rid of DeCastro and put in a OLB instead I'd be reasonably happy.

I could also do without an OG.