1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What Was It Like?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Cowboys&LakersFan, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As most of you know I'm one of the younger Cowboys fans and I was just a baby the last time the Cowboys won a Super Bowl. I badly wanna witness one, but I've began to lose hope that'll happen for obvious reasons.

Anyways what was it like seeing the Cowboys who are most of ours favorite sports team win a Super Bowl championship? How did it feel to be able to brag and say we are the champions and the best team in football? I've watched plenty of old film including the numerous Super Bowl victories and it's cool don't get me wrong, but it's just nowhere near the same as having witnessed it live. I love my other sports team, but I would honestly give every single championship trophy they have just for one Cowboys Super Bowl victory. Dead serious. I cannot even put into words how badly I wanna see a Cowboys Super Bowl win.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    Better than sex.

Oh, you might be too young to know how that is too. ;)

It felt like being on top of the world.
  3. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know this will probably be considered wierd, but I've dreamt about that day where I would witness a Super Bowl so many times. Every time it's a different opponent. I didn't wanna wake up from that dream haha.

I can only imagine how good it feels. I just hope I can witness one day. Even one would be good enough for me. It is absolute torture being a Cowboys fan and never even having witnessing a Super Bowl.
  4. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,137 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    It was awesome.

I was 9, 10 and 12 when we won our Super Bowls in the 90s. Truthfully, in those days I took our greatness for granted.

That won't happen again. I'm enjoying every win, suffering through every setback, and knowing how sweet it will be when we get ring #6.
  5. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    The 70's were outstanding as the 'Boys were in the hunt every year until the mid 80's. The 90's Championship teams were even sweeter for me as I am a Rocket fan and they had back to back titles the same time as Dallas.
    I have only been to Texas 3 times so having 2 Texas teams as my favs might be odd, but the Rockets started in San Diego and they were the 1st Pro sports events I went to when I was but a wee lad living there.
  6. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hopefully we don't have to wait too long. I've waited long enough. :(
  7. Jay

Jay Active Member

1,622 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Fixed it for you.
  8. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:
  9. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,137 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    I hear you. It's unfortunate for those born after 1985. You guys really missed out.
  10. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    Just my opinion. But I find the journey more rewarding than the destination. Sure it was great to win the SB. The journey's satisfaction becomes more lasting that way.

But watching this team build from 89 to 90, 91, and the culmination in 92. Watching the demons get exorcised in Philly & San Fran, watch the players step up and come through in crunch-time is very satisfying.

I recall when we were still a few steps short of completing the journey just appreciating as players didn't "almost" make the play. They "made" the play. Champions are not made of "almost". "Almost" is a tease.

Though I think in the current NFL "almost" sometimes wins a championship. Its probably not fair to use the 90's Cowboys as the SB Champion standard as they're actually one of the greatest of all-time, but I still do it. None of the recent year's champions impress me much as a result
  11. Jay

Jay Active Member

1,622 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You know I'm just joking.

In honesty, their last Super Bowl was when I was in 5th grade. Don't think it's appropriate for me to answer this. I mean, my proudest thing was sporting my starter jacket at school.

It's just different when you're older and follow the team closely. I anxiously await that day like you are.
  12. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,315 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Yea I was same ages it was sweet to be a fan in those days. I can remember the battles with San Fran for the NFC titles like yesterday, man I still hate Merton Hanks to this day for his obnoxious head bobble. Which yr was it San Fran covered the Boys sideline in mud?
  13. MoClaiborne24

MoClaiborne24 Member

456 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Same here bro, I was 6 when they won their last Super Bowl.

I have no recollection or feelings from that time. So I'm right there with you.

It sucks, it really does...

I have never witnessed a successful season from this team.

It's frustrating me just talking about it. :mad:
  14. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well that's better than me lol. I was like a year and a half I think. Something around that.
  15. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,465 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    It was totally AWESOME!!

I hope we all get to experience that feeling again, and soon! Especially for all of you young fans who weren't around in the 90s.
  16. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    971 Likes Received
    The only one I vaguely remember is the one from 1995 vs the Steelers (6 y/o at the time). My dad was forcing me to stay seated and watch the whole thing with him haha. The only 2 teams I have ever followed are the Dallas Cowboys and the Chicago Bulls. I thank my dad for both of those. I have been watching both teams play ever since early childhood.

It's funny because at the time I thought both teams were invincible. Boy was I wrong. :laugh1:
  17. DallasJ7

DallasJ7 Active Member

547 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    we're pretty much the same age, and i did the same thing taking cowboys greatness for granted. i just assumed we'd always be competing for super bowls, and the decline of the cowboys in the mid-to-late 90s was like slowly realizing there's no santa claus.

witnessing a dynasty at such an innocent age is so fun, especially when you take losses so hard. losing the '94-'95 NFCCG to the 49ers was so devastating; i was just inconsolable for awhile.

but that just made winning super bowl XXX pure bliss.
  18. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am so jelly of all of you. :mad:
  19. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,609 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    I was a young lad and barely remember the Larry Brown Super Bowl as well.

But my goodness if this group of guys (Romo, Ware, Witten mainly) manage to win won, it would be so satisfying to shut up the media, silence the critics, and see these guys take their rightful place in NFL history.

As for me, I will take 2 weeks off, binge drink like I'm a freshman in college again, probably get a star tattooed on my ***, shout 'We won the Super Bowl *****es!' at random people on the street even months after the fact , write Jerry Jones an apology letter, cry, and repeat.
  20. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,876 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    I was too young to experience our first SB win.

When we beat Denver for SB win number 2 it was awesome! I was in 8th or 9th grade. I had experienced the loss before to the Steelers, and then the 2nd loss to the Steelers after that win over Denver.

The 1st loss to the Steelers was painful, really painful. My 3 friends next door were Steelers fans. Man did that hurt! Then I got to experience the win against Denver. The 2nd loss to the Steelers was devastating, just horrible. Disbelief! Having experienced the win over Denver was so awesome, and then a 2nd loss to the Steelers - just as bad as anyone can imagine.

Then we had the 3 NFC Championship losses with Danny White as our QB, and then the drought.

SB 27 was just awesome. Growing up the Boys were in the hunt every year. It was just normal. The drought made me realize how special things used to be. I went to the Rose Bowl for the game. I wouldnt have missed it for the world. It was one of the greatest days of my life! Think of a time when you were happy, full of joy and just absolutely as satisfied as you could ever be. Being there was being part of something truly special! In all honesty I cant think of a better day in my life.

I also went to SB 30 and it was great, but different. SB 27 was just a perfect experience in every way. SB 30 was more of a sense of relief. It just couldnt compare to SB 27.

When we get our next one, I hope I can enjoy it as much as I did SB 27. Jerruh has taken away a lot of our joy as fans for so long . . . . . . . . . .