1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What We Learned Post Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Aliencowboy, May 22, 2012.

1. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

506 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Brockers was the target at 14. Despite SJones saying they are happy now
    with Rat at NT, they were going to plug Brockers in there and move him to DE. Dallas remains weak upfront. The fact that they ranked in the top 10 had
    more to do with teams passing all over them than having a stout Dfront.

Giants got Shaun Rogers to push Costa back into our slightly shorter than avg. QB. Costa remains the weakest link and guards were not improved no matter what the PR hypes on about Ron Leary. Could be the most overhyped undrafted player in Dallas history. It waves a big flag saying we didn't improve here. Murray can make them look better than they are, but ultimately when it comes to playing with the best teams he'll get shut down.

Moving up to get Claiborne is not something we'll regret, but Crawford in the 3rd. Plenty of good picks there Blake, Taamu or Boykin. RKG and potential seems to be the new drafting philosophy. Otherwise need would have dictated to draft one of these guys.

Dallas is still a year away from being a serious contender. I honestly don't think they'll make the playoffs this year. Hope I'm wrong and maybe a team can get away with an average to below average interior line on both sides, but I doubt it.

I think with the money they have next year, -5 million, they will target:

Max Unger at Center

I'm confident in 2 years under Garrett this team will make serious run. Probably not this year though.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,810 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    You know what they say about potential. It got the coach fired. BTW where is the link? I happen to agree with most of this.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,806 Messages
    5,333 Likes Received
    All teams draft on potential. Not a single player is ever available in the draft that has NFL production on their resume.
  4. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

506 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Meant this more for Crawford in that he hasn't done much in college, but he
    has a high ceiling. In contrast, I'd say Claiborne is proven at least in college.
  5. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

1,712 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    There are a lot of unknows going into this season along the trenches.

Ron Leary
    Nate Livings
    Mackenzy Bernadeau
    David Arkin
    Bill Nagy
    Kevin Kowalski
    Levy Adcock

Clifton Geathers
    Sean Lissemore
    Tyrone Crawford
    Ben Bass
    Robert Calloway

If we can get 3-4 of those guys to develop into solid contributors then our trenches should be dramatically improved over last year.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,275 Messages
    2,702 Likes Received
    Thoughtful post. Not sure about the interior being weak. We can certainly say it is an unknown. I agree the play of the lines will go a long way in determining our playoffs chances.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,229 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    The Cowboys think they have improved the OG positions that is why we didn't draft any. Regarding Crawford, the Cowboys draft their board not needs.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,120 Messages
    2,967 Likes Received
    Good post, but I'm going to politely disagree with some of your statements.

Brockers was the target at 14. Despite SJones saying they are happy now
    with Rat at NT, they were going to plug Brockers in there and move him to DE. Dallas remains weak upfront. The fact that they ranked in the top 10 had more to do with teams passing all over them than having a stout Dfront.
    My take is that that they said that Brockers would have been the BPA at #14, not necessarily that they were looking to draft DE early.

Giants got Shaun Rogers to push Costa back into our slightly shorter than avg. QB. Costa remains the weakest link and guards were not improved no matter what the PR hypes on about Ron Leary. Could be the most overhyped undrafted player in Dallas history. It waves a big flag saying we didn't improve here. Murray can make them look better than they are, but ultimately when it comes to playing with the best teams he'll get shut down.
    Shaun Rogers will be too fat or injured to get enough snaps to matter.

Costa's best games were against the bigger/slower DLinemen. One of his best games was against Miami and Paul Soliai. Costa can block straight ahead, his problem is trying to reach DLinemen that have any amout of quickness combined with power.

Moving up to get Claiborne is not something we'll regret, but Crawford in the 3rd. Plenty of good picks there Blake, Taamu or Boykin. RKG and potential seems to be the new drafting philosophy. Otherwise need would have dictated to draft one of these guys.
    I thought that they would take Blake. They don't appear to want a run-plugger only type of DLineman and Rob Ryan does not appear to like small CBs.

Crawford had good production in college. It's not like he was just an athlete playing football.

Dallas is still a year away from being a serious contender. I honestly don't think they'll make the playoffs this year. Hope I'm wrong and maybe a team can get away with an average to below average interior line on both sides, but I doubt it.
    I don't see the DL as below average. The Interior OL is completely unknown but they have a lot of options there. The Bernadeau injury was a setback.

Don't overlook replacing Houck with Callahan. Garrett wanted to run more zone blocking last year but Houck had no history with the scheme. Garrett started drafting players for this scheme before he had an OLine coach to implement it.

I think with the money they have next year, -5 million, they will target:
    Max Unger at Center
    This is a good suggestion. Hopefully, Kowalski, Nagy or possibly Bernadeau will beat out Costa for the starting Center job, if not, Unger seems like a good FA target.

I'm confident in 2 years under Garrett this team will make serious run. Probably not this year though.
    The Giants had a lot of holes in their team last year. Same for the Packers the previous year, especially with the injuries.
  9. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,479 Messages
    125 Likes Received

Pretty much agree with everything you said.
    Would like to remind people we got alot of young guys that can turn into players on both Oline and Dline.......Lissemore, Crawford, Brent, Geathers, Callaway, Bass, Kowalski, Parnell, Leary, Adams, Arkin, Nagy, and Adcock.

Out of all theses guys I think Cowboys can get a couple difference makers, few starters, some good rotational guys, and some good/decent backups.

I think the Boys are a few players away from making "the run" but I like the direction this team is going, add that with another good offseason and with these young guys developing then I could see this team being down right dangerous on both sides of the ball that next year bearing unforeseen incidents.

I would also like to remind people that are only talikng about CB making the D better........how in the hell did you guys forget about the Lee, Carter, and Connor change? This move right here is going to help the defense DRAMATICALLY! just watch you'll see.
  10. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,391 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    Good point. Houck seems to coach up the maulers. But zone blocking is about position, intelligence, technique... quickness. In zone blocking you don't need to physically dominate...but rather just neutralize.
  11. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,391 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    Me too. Since Garrett's taken over, there seems to be a lot more to like.
  12. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,700 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I wish more people understood this...

Grading a draft not three years down the line is all speculation...

I remember when Blair Thomas was "can't miss"... I think we all remember the best RB out of that draft...
  13. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,505 Messages
    544 Likes Received

No kidding.

Great point.

I'll go a little further.

I remember when there was this OT coming out of Michigan State that was labled the best Offensive Line prospect EVER.

Sure fire. Can't miss.

Going to be one of the all time greats.

How many people remember the name Tony Mandarich? I probably spelled that wrong but the point is there is no such thing as can't miss.

Then you've got all the examples of guys like a Tom Brady who went super late in the draft, as an after thought, only to turn out to be one of the best players in the history of the game at his position.
  14. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,554 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    Need dictates nothing about our drafts, at least in the early rounds. I would have thought that would be completely obvious by now. Dallas drafts their board.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,806 Messages
    5,333 Likes Received
    Which is why we've seen an improvement in our draft classes.

Nobody in that room is smarter than the scouts. They need to have the biggest voices.