1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What were Aikman, Buck and Pereria talking about on the Dez TD?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by links18, Nov 11, 2012.

1. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,580 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    The fact there's an 11 page thread debating it means they made the right call on the replay review.
  2. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,633 Messages
    842 Likes Received
    i thought it could go either way and was (very pleasantly) surprised that we got the (non-) call this time.
  3. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,196 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    Yes it is. That's the rules. If the receiver has clear possession and it touches the ground it's still ruled a catch.

The ball disputably "rolling" a quarter the length of the football doesn't rule out possession. It's at most inconclusive.
  4. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,239 Messages
    690 Likes Received
    The ball moving means it's not clear possession. You can see the laces rotate.The receiver has to follow through on his catch without the ball moving, even if he falls to the ground.
  5. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

11,782 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    Are you crazy? ENJOY some thing around here? I'm hard on Dez as far as I think if he actually studied I think he could be a great. But I'm willing to let the kid have his moments to. Ruled a catch, in the books as a catch.
    He has 6 more points in his career, why isn't that ok around here?:)
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,955 Messages
    9,035 Likes Received
    That's a huge assumption considering our red zone woes.
  7. Risen Star

21,955 Messages
    9,035 Likes Received
    He must maintain control as it hits the ground. If it moves it's incomplete.
  8. Dave_in-NC

11,782 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    This. I'm so used to any thing close going against the Boys I was very happy he scored.
  9. jayhouston12

jayhouston12 New Member

543 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i'm surprised they called it a catch, really. Cowboys usally don't get those kinds of breaks
  10. Risen Star

21,955 Messages
    9,035 Likes Received
    Everybody's okay with it but that doesn't mean we have to think it was the right call.
  11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Sorry but I have to go with Aikman and them. It should have been overturned and I was expecting it. The initial catch was fine and his forearm got under it but it clearly rolled out and hit turf after landing thus negating the control aspect of the catch. We got lucky there. Of course there was a PI call. Just being honest, doesn't mean I disliked getting a TD.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,859 Messages
    2,082 Likes Received
    It's a cacth imo. His arm was under the ball the entire time. The ball wasn't going anywhere.

I didn't think for 1 second it wasn't a catch and was shocked to hear the announcers think it wasn't a catch.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,859 Messages
    2,082 Likes Received
    His arm is under it the entire time though.
  14. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,196 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    No it's not if "it moves". The ball is always moving. One could argue that the illusion of maintaining possession before the ball hits the ground is actually helped by the ground in certain instances by trapping the ball in the receivers hands, so the rule is rather dubious in the first place.
  15. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,239 Messages
    690 Likes Received
    To me, it looks like he caught the ball with his forearm and as he hits the ground, the ball moves upwards along his forearm while making contact with the ground. So yes, his forearm is still touching the ball, but it's also now touching the ground. That's incomplete IMO.
  16. Risen Star

21,955 Messages
    9,035 Likes Received
    But it still makes contact with the turf and moves.
  17. Dave_in-NC

11,782 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    Of Course not, but it doesn't seem everybodys ok with it to me.
    I, like you am a huge critic of this team. But I'm way more concerned about the dumb penalties and putrid O line than any call that wasn't over turned.

I'm not big on Dez at all but I'm glad his determination payed off on that play.
  18. Risen Star

21,955 Messages
    9,035 Likes Received
    I would say you don't understand the new rule then. Movement is definitely the key because it means you didn't maintain possession as you went to the ground.
  19. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    The ball touches the ground as its rolling over his right arm before he gets his other hand on it. Call could have gone either way. Since it was ruled a TD, i think its right that it wasn't overturned but if it had been ruled incomplete from the start i could have understood why, too.

Eagles TD.. i assume the one to Riley Cooper.. was definitely a TD.
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,859 Messages
    2,082 Likes Received
    The ball did roll but it was under his arm the entire time. His body also turned allowing the ball to touch the ground.

He had possession the entire time.