1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What will the Romo contract look like?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by theranchsucks, Mar 26, 2013.

1. randy932

randy932 Member

529 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    What will the Romo contract look like?

[IMG]
  2. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,890 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    i think thats pretty close although i think the guaranteed money will be in the 40's. i could also see a 6 year deal with a big salry that year to help the cap out. not real but most contracts have lots of fluff in them
  3. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,657 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    I can see 5 year 80 million with 35 guaranteed
  4. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,242 Messages
    1,448 Likes Received
    LOL @ that...clever^^ I'm guessing 100m 5 year deal.
  5. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And the cheese eaters are falling in line!
  6. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,971 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    I understand the worries about cap trouble and all that junk. However, I do not understand trying to go cheap at quarterback! If there is any position that any team should invest heavily in it is QB. If you don't invest in QB, well, smell ya later.
  7. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I say 5/65m with 30m guaranteed. Could go with guaranteeing 2015 salary of 8m. That would leave 8m in dead money after 3 years, with the option to keep, cut or restructure.

20m signing bonus. 2013 and 2014 salary guaranteed

2013 4m+ 4m sb+ 4m old money= 12m cap hit
    2014 6m+ 4m+ 3m old= 13m
    2015 8m+ 4m+ 1.5m old= 13.5m
    2016 12m(convert 9m into a sb) +4m+ 3m= 10m
    2017 15m+ 4m+ 3m= 24m
    2018 (added in 2016 restructure) 15m+ 3m= 18m
  8. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    With the scrambling to get other players restructured it's looks like Romo and Jerry are a wee bit apart. Hope they stay that way.:D
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,417 Messages
    3,747 Likes Received
    I agree. I think we will be looking at 85 mill on a 5 year deal with a SB of 32 to 35 mill.
  10. randy932

randy932 Member

529 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Double amen to that.
  11. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    It's going to have the seal of the New York Jets at the top, the way things are starting to look.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    $8.5M total in old money? I thought it was around $5.3M and I'm not sure they could split it.

Also, your point about $8M after the 3rd year is precisely why I think this would be a bad deal for Romo. He'd make $24M in the first year and then have another $14M coming in the next two years for a total of $38M.

If his play dropped Dallas could cut him and he'd have $36M in money that he'd never see and the team would get $2M in relief to cut him after 3 seasons.

I'm not sure why he would take this deal. He's would make half of his potential $24M by doing nothing and sitting on his $11.5M base salary.
  13. bkight13

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    You're right about 2013, it would be 5.3m in old money, not 4m.

I said I would guarantee 2015's salary of 8m. That would give him 38m over the first 3 years. It's not Flacco/Brees money, but he doesn't have a ring. He has 0m in guaranteed money right now and if plays 2013 on this deal and gets hurt that would be a huge mistake. 38m>>>>11.5m.

It's a team friendly deal that ensures Romo at least one and maybe 2 more paydays. Or he takes a bit more money and go play for CLE, BUFF or JAX.
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    He has this year guaranteed. You think Dallas is going to cut him? Sure, it's not written in stone but he has this year guaranteed and if Dallas released him he'd get a new contract no matter what.

The odds of suffering some sort of injury that would absolutely ruin his career are small. He plays this year on a $12M base and signs next year, he's better off even if he gets the same amount but only a year later.

$38M over 3 years is only $13M/year. He's already going to get nearly that amount this year.

He could play for those teams. Just like he could play for Dallas.

In case you haven't noticed, this team isn't all that great. Those teams are poor in opinion but you'd be a fool to think that Dallas would be any better without the guy.

So what's the difference? Dallas has some history to it? You're overestimating the value of 20 years ago if you think that makes playing for one struggling team is more beneficial than playing for another. At the end of the day, popularity doesn't show up on bank statements. Playing for one mediocre team is no different than playing for another......unless you can get paid more.

I think his guaranteed money will have to be more, be it through a larger SB or through base salaries.

He'd be shorting himself to take one of the team when he's only guaranteed 3 years at an average just about equal to what he is about to make right now.
  15. bkight13

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    He's coming off a 6/67m deal and is 5 years older with only one playoff win. The cap has shrunk since then and he knows the team is out of space. Yes, Tony could play for someone else just like Dallas can play someone else at QB. Next year's draft is loaded. He has been here his whole career and has a new family. Texas is also tax free and being the QB for the Cowboys is worth a lot more than most places for endorsements.

Paying him any more wouldn't be worth it for Dallas. They can let him play out his deal, tag him and get a first round pick when someone scoops him up. If they happen to win the Super Bowl this year like Baltimore, then who cares- pay him, don't pay, we got another ring. But if struggles, he just re-enforces all of the negative reviews and is now a year older.
  16. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

860 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    The way they seem to collect qbs they probably would give us a 2nd this year an a first next. I'd be hard pressed to ignore that lol
  17. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  18. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

4,315 Messages
    832 Likes Received
    That prediction was almost spot on.
  19. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life