1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What would be a successful season?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Pessimist_cowboy, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,741 Messages
    442 Likes Received
    A.Ok just beating skins , then one and done ?

B.Wildcard win then losing in divisional ?

C.Making it too NFC championship and losing ?

D.Nothing short of Super Bowl is acceptable ?
  2. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,117 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    Beating the skins on sunday, winning a playoff game at home, and being competitive in the next round. If they can do that, I will be pleased.
  3. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,026 Messages
    667 Likes Received
    D.....

Superbowl or Bust....

If we have no intentions of winning in the playoffs, therefore getting my hopes up.....

Just lose Sunday, and get it over with
  4. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,109 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    (A) would be great given that our D is basically shot...
  5. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,281 Messages
    818 Likes Received
    A championship is all that matters.
  6. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,495 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    C. would be a success in that we are heading in the right direction.

I bet both the haters and the cheer crowd are going to say D. though.
  7. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,486 Messages
    597 Likes Received
    NFC Championship game.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,585 Messages
    4,148 Likes Received
    Coming out of training camp, I considered this season 2 of a 3 year plan. For me, success would be setting the stage for being a legit top contender in 2013.

Based on my criteria, I would say the season is partially successful. Bruce Carter and Dez look like the real deal. Barry Church and Phil Costa had only 1 good game due to injury, Jermey Parnell might be the real deal, Harris, Albright, Crawford got some experience...
  9. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,807 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    This defense is too beat up to expect a Super Bowl title. Winning the East would constitute a successful year all things considered. Anything else is gravy.
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,686 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    This.
  11. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

5,882 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    In a normal season, I wouldn't say this, but considering all of our injuries this year and how the season started, beating the Skins and winning the East would prove to be a successful season to me this year. Next year I will expect a LOT more.
  12. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,429 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    Part of me agrees with this, however, part of me thinks next year Romo is another year older (33), Ware is another year older, Witten is another year older...

In other words, the three HOF calibre players on the team all move deeper into their 30's. You can't say the window is closing on any of them yet, however, it's never a shock when guy's performance falls off the cliff completely either once they hit the other side of 30.

For those reasons, I find it really hard to accept the "well, we were injured this year... we'll come back stronger next season" school of thought. It doesn't always work out that way (obviously).
  13. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,068 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    B,C,or D is good for me. losing to the skins or reaching the playoffs to just lose the first game would be another end to a underachiving season.
  14. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,242 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I would consider this season to already be successful, regardless whether we make the playoffs or not.

Considering all the injuries we've had, we are still in the hunt for the East title and a playoff birth. Garrett and his staff has off the street FAs playing their butts off and keeping us in games.

Couple that with the poor first half we had and I'm surprised we didn't just roll over to finish the season 5-11.

Like him or not, but Garrett and crew is getting the most he can get out of this group of walking woundeds. We are heading in the right direction.

What I consider to be a failure is the FO not addressing the Oline.
  15. Derinyar

Derinyar Well-Known Member

2,001 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    At this point making the playoffs would be successful to me. The team has really rallied around each other though a plethora of injuries and other issues to still be win and you're in. Honestly, I'm not sure it isn't a success even if we lose, but I know I'm going to get eviscerated for that opinion.
  16. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    Playoffs.

I would have said a playoff win going into the season but after 3-5, I will give the Cowboys a pass if they don't go past round one. Esp with the injuries, I don't think I'd favor the Cowboys in any playoff game as much as that pains me.

That said, my expectations would naturally rise next year.
  17. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,356 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    I guess I think differently because if we make the playoffs the time is now to win it all. Forget about next year. Next year we might have the same injuries or worse or something else might happen. You can't live for next especially in this sport. If we make the playoffs try and win it now and seize the opportunity. This team really should be thinking that way now before the Skins game, during that game and afterwards.
  18. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received

They should only be thinking about winning the skins game and not looking ahead. I also don't think they're going to be happy with just the playoffs, they saw what the Giants did..As fans though, I don't think we can look at it and say "We should win in the playoffs because we're a better team."

Honestly, we are not. Every year is different but if we won the Super bowl, it would be pretty shocking imo.
  19. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,047 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    D.Nothing short of Super Bowl is acceptable
  20. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    That's what we should all say, but let's be realistic. Were you mad at the Cowboys when they lost to the Lions in 91? I wasn't happy, but knew the team was going in the right direction. If we can get to the play-offs I will be happy with that. Everything from there on out is a bonus, and know the Cowboys will be even better next season.