1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What's happening to this country? Part 9,582

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by bbgun, Aug 14, 2008.

1. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not from The Onion.

Home Depot, Others Required To Make Day Laborer Shelters

LOS ANGELES -- Big-box, home-improvement stores in Los Angeles will have to set aside space for day laborers under an ordinance passed by the City Council on Wednesday.

When the ordinance takes effect -- the mayor has to sign it, and most city laws take effect 30 days afterward -- it will apply to stores such as The Home Depot that have 100,000 square feet or more, or any structure where 250,000 square feet or more of warehouse floor area is added.

The shelters must be easily accessible and include drinking water, bathrooms, tables, seating and trashcans. The stores may be required to work with Los Angeles police in developing a security plan, according to the unanimous vote by the 15-member lawmaking body.

People who live near Home Depot stores have complained of day laborers drinking beer, urinating in yards or other unseemly behavior.

The National Day Laborer Organizing Network, a nonprofit group started in Northridge in 2001, supports the new requirements.

"It provides for safe and dignified hiring locations where contingent workers can defend their basic rights. It carefully balances the interests of business, residents, day laborers and their employers," said the group's executive director, Pablo Alvarado.

Francisco Uribe, senior manager of government relations for The Home Depot, said the corporation does not oppose the day laborer centers.

"Although the complex challenges associated with the presence of day laborers are not specific to one industry nor one company, The Home Depot recognizes that some of our stores in the city of Los Angeles are impacted," Uribe said.

"The Home Depot has and will continue to work with the city of Los Angeles and other key stakeholders in the various communities where The Home Depot operates to jointly address these challenges," Uribe said.

City Councilman Richard Alarcon singled out The Home Depot for attracting day laborers, saying other big-box stores do not have the same kind of problems.

"Lowe's doesn't have the problem. And you ask yourself 'why don't we see massive (numbers of) day laborers at Lowe's?' The reason is they target women. It's very clear that their marketing scheme is more focused on interior design-type customers," Alarcon said.

The Community Development Department already operates 11 day-laborer sites in the city. Grant funding is used to maintain the facilities at an annual cost of $180,000.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Via the Ace-o-Spades Blog:

"Coming soon: Parking lot operators must provide condoms, spermicide, and an on-call gynecologist for the hookers that walk the streets within one blocks of their lots."
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,247 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Ok...I admit I am ignorant on Day Laborers.

Is this where people wait outside, whether legal or illegal aliens, and wait for someone to drive up and offer them work?

If so...not sure why they would make the stores make shelters unless there was some kind of deal between the city and the store.

I wonder if the stores get some money out of the deal or just hope that the contractors hiring these day laborers will come in and in doing so by some of their products.

I am really clueless about how this whole day laborer thing really works other than seeing some things on movies or tv shows...so heck I might not be getting that one right.
  3. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, "day laborer" is a nice way of saying "illegal immigrant." These "laborers" are pissing in people’s yards and drinking beer during the day, and LA is forcing private companies to fund provisions for their "dignity." For their basic "rights." Unbelievable.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    We have them by the droves here in Nashville and what you are describing is exactly correct.

I would highly doubt that Home depot would encourage this because it is a very unseemly view to area business'. It actually discourages paying customers. Some business' can easily get around this by passing a no loitering policy and actually enforce it. But most don't because then they are painted as insensitive.

But since I am insensitive myself and obviously a hater, I'm all for the no loitering law being enforced so these companies can go on and offer their services.

Oh, and don't think the consumer doesn't pay for this in the end as well.
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Stores don't employ the folks but most Home Depot stores are designed so that there is an obvious space where the laborers gather. I think the stores are happy to provide shelter and bathrooms because the laborers really do help their business.

I know a ton of weekend warriors, liberals and hard-core conservatives, who regularly pick up a few laborers to help get jobs done. Very convenient, cheap, and best of all you don't have to wait forever for a contractor to call you back.
  6. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My family lived in Nashville from '73 to '76 (Bellevue, section). I had a great time there.
  7. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It's gone downhill since Al Gore moved in. :laugh1:
  8. BrAinPaiNt

61,247 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    It would seem that the city or state, forget now reading the article, and home depot are complicit in helping illegal aliens if this is the case.
  9. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    They are not generally speaking. Some store managers may have some kind of consideration for this but most don't. As a matter of fact, this kind of vagrancy leads to the kinds of things you read in the article. Doesn't make for good neighbors.

As a matter of fact, many contractors (those who are reputable) who use this kind of workforce tend to use the same people over and over again because they have been proven to be reliable.
  10. AbeBeta

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    everyone is. the home owners who want to save money. many contractors who want cheaper labor.

of course, not all of these folks are here illegally.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

61,247 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    What I was meaning is.

If these people are indeed illegal aliens. Than the city/state and home depot is setting up a spot for them to relax while they wait for someone to come and hire illegals.

Sure it would keep them from peeing in someones yard or littering or whatever...but in doing so they still seem to be helping illegals get work with someone that should not be hiring illegals anyways since it is...illegal.

Look, you know me, I am not a hard core guy on social issues. Usually that is where I lean left more than anywhere.

But that stuff just does not make sense to me when you involve a corporation (home depot) and a city or state government. That is government basically saying...stay here until someone hires you and all will be well.

Seems like they should put that money to policing up illegal aliens not encouraging them.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

61,247 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Well if they have citizenhsip or work visas and so on, in other words here legally, I have no problem with that as it seems like the stores have worked with the gov to do this. However if they are illegal...does not seem right to me.
  13. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's amazing that a mere city can pass a law forcing residents to do what is effectively aiding in the commission of a crime. What's next? Will citizens be "required" to open their homes to the "homeless" and provide food, shelter, and clothing? Presto! NO MORE HOMELESS!
  14. AbeBeta

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Sure but since all of this work is done on a cash basis no one is ever going to ask for papers, SS #s etc.

This is very much part of the government's approach to immigration -- the labor drives down prices which everyone wants and in many areas the work would not be possible without the labor - so we look the other way.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

61,247 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    I read a report some time ago that claimed that the number one employer of illegal aliens is the government itself.

So maybe you have a point.

Kind of hard to point and yell at the illegal aliens, if you happen to be complicit in helping them get hired or hiring them yourself as a government, whether that be city, county,state or federal.

However I still say it just is not right. For once BBgun and I agree on something. :eek:
  16. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you're gonna coerce a company into making life easier for urinating non-customers, you are legally and morally obligated to make sure the "loiterers" have a right to be in this country in the first place. What are the odds that they did?

Not true. We agreed that the "Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour" was a disaster.
  17. AbeBeta

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    I certainly respect that view -- however, as I always say to folks who oppose illegal immigration, try living a month without any of the benefits. For example, most of the stuff at the grocery store (likely all the meat and produce), wine (especially CA), beer, etc - is all cheaper because of undocumented labor. Opposing it fine but opposing while also reaping the benefits is hypocritical.
  18. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Oh, I got ya. And yes, you are right. In that respect they are all responsible. Unfortunately we live in a society in which the law rarely matters anymore.
  19. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Are you kidding? I couldn't wait to see this every week....

[IMG]
  20. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, that cheap head of lettuce will be of enormous solace to me if my family is wiped out by someone who had no business being in this country. We're a country first and an economy second. We either have laws and enforce them or we don't.