1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What's the big deal over Louisville's Seeding?

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Mar 17, 2014.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

36,559 Messages
    2,838 Likes Received
    I honestly don't understand why it's a big deal. Honestly, if you look at Louisville's record, I don't see what is so impressive about it.

They Beat UCONN, who is not the UCONN of years past. They beat SMU who is an OK team but certainly not a real powerhouse. They beat Cincy once but they also lost to Cincy. They lost to UNC at home, they lost to UK and they lost to Memphis State twice. The rest of their schedule is filled with a bunch of nobodies. I know they are 29-5 but they have a record full of wins over nobodies. I don't see why anybody would really think they deserve to be a #1 Seed to begin with.

JMO
  2. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,409 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    Because there is no way in hell they aren't one of the top 8 teams in the country.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

36,559 Messages
    2,838 Likes Received
    Based on what?
  4. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and brew... Staff Member

21,541 Messages
    2,289 Likes Received
    Louisville is more of a top eight team than they are a top 16 team. I don't know too many people that don't think Louisville got ripped off and trust me I'm no Louisville fan.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

36,559 Messages
    2,838 Likes Received
    Yeah, I know people feel like that but look at their schedule. Look at the season. Seriously, I'm not all that impressed with it. I mean, they may totally be the best team in the Nation, but they don't deserve a top seed based on their season, IMO.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

54,698 Messages
    7,466 Likes Received
    Louisville isn't a #1 seed, probably a #2 seed and worst case a #3 seed. Putting them on the 4 line is a joke. Trust me, that isn't playing well here in Wichita.
  7. Sarge

21,541 Messages
    2,289 Likes Received
    I did look at their schedule and have watched them play numerous times. A 4 seed is a joke.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

63,146 Messages
    6,476 Likes Received
    They are where they are because they deserve to be where they are. The won the games they needed to win and they are the standing champs until someone else wins it.

I HATE louisville so don't think this is some kind of weird bias for them.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,060 Messages
    2,139 Likes Received
    The problem is that, if you compare their resumes to the teams above them, who do they replace?

Losing twice to Memphis really hurt them I think...and they had a pretty soft schedule overall.
  10. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,409 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    Based on watching them play.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

36,559 Messages
    2,838 Likes Received
    I see. Based on watching them play the schedule they played.

They are about right where they should be seeded IMO, based on watching them play the schedule they played.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

25,756 Messages
    3,551 Likes Received
    I watched Louisville down the stretch....I think they are a top 4 team right now.
    Michigan State, another 4 seed, may also be one of the 4 best.

I don't see how, at a minimum, the committee feels there are 12-15 teams better than them.
    I also don't think it's that big of a deal in the end.

Guess we'll see how it plays out.

Anyway and most importantly....

GO TARHEELS:)
  13. ABQCOWBOY

36,559 Messages
    2,838 Likes Received
    The committee says that they look the entire season so if that's the case, you have to figure that the committee considered a weak schedule, 80th in the Country, loses to UNC on a neutral floor. Lost to Kentucky, who was not really all that good this year, at home. Lost to Memphis State twice and lost to Cincinnati and really, only the Cincy game was close at 69-66. If you look at all of that, I think it's reasonable to justify where they are seeded in this years tournament. I mean, they may be playing great right now and they may be a top contender for the final four but their record and strength of schedule, to me, do not suggest that they are.

JMO
  14. Sarge

21,541 Messages
    2,289 Likes Received
    There must be some good reason why half the ESPN staff has Louisville going to the final four. Anyway, let's just see how it unfolds.
  15. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

7,231 Messages
    2,894 Likes Received
    Who cares where they're seeded?
  16. ABQCOWBOY

36,559 Messages
    2,838 Likes Received
    There is. Louisville has a lot of talent. However, that doesn't really translate to a great season, based on schedule and W/Ls.

As an FYI, Cincy, a team that beat Louisville just got bumped by Harvard. Now, that may not mean anything but it may. It could be an indication of how weak the AAC was this year. Lastly, the Ville struggled to beat Manhattan last night. A team that some are saying should have been a #1 or #2 seed really shouldn't have to work so hard to beat a #13 seed IMO.

I agree that Louisville is very talented but I have to say, they didn't really impress me that much when I watched them.
  17. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,603 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    Each year it seems that seedings mean less and less. Anybody can beat anybody.

Makes it fun for us as fans to watch.

Louisville may have even benefited from the lower seed. Better to be a #4 seed in a bracket with Wich St., that being a #2 seed in a bracket with Florida.

I love the March Madness!
  18. Sarge

21,541 Messages
    2,289 Likes Received
    We clearly disagree here let's see how it unfolds
  19. ABQCOWBOY

36,559 Messages
    2,838 Likes Received
    OK. However, what happens in the tourney has little to do with the actual seeding. As I said earlier, they may well be a final four team but that talent does not translate into what they did during the season IMO. Those are two separate issues.

They have Kentucky. Should be a good game.
  20. Sarge

21,541 Messages
    2,289 Likes Received
    I figured you might respond like that after this weekend. ;)
    WV Cowboy likes this.