1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What's the over/under on Dunbar fumbling?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,454 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    I was so excited about this guy coming into this season. I thought he could really add an element that our offense was missing, especially on crucial 3rd downs.

Might be my most disappointing player this year, except for Austin, Ware, Spencer, and Ratliff already throwing their names in the hat.
    fifaguy likes this.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,560 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    It's a long season. Dunbar does add an element we haven't seen yet. He's a young player who needed to work on his ball control. When he's healthy, he'll start getting reps. It might be that wrinkle at midseason that keeps teams on their toes once they adapt to Beasley and Williams and Escobar.
  3. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

903 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    If he does. He may be done. Only ahead of Tanner.
  4. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,452 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    am I missing something? Dunbar fumbled once in pre-season and once during the season, right? I agree that he hasn't played a lot, but I don't consider him a "fumbler" unless he continues to put the ball on the ground....give the kid a chance already
    spook930 likes this.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,460 Messages
    1,653 Likes Received
    Is he playing this week?
  6. DuceizBak

DuceizBak Active Member

424 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I hope he's playing
  7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,051 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    Like Murray, his perceived fumbling problem is overstated.
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,723 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    I think he would understand by now that protection of the football is his primary responsibility. I would be shocked if he coughs up the ball again this Sunday if he plays.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,608 Messages
    4,163 Likes Received
    They probably have some idea from practice about how he is holding the ball. It was obvious in some of his carries that he was holding it low and loose.
  10. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,054 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    What's the over and under on Larry Warford pancakes? I'm saying 10
  11. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,277 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    No, you are not missing anything.

It's the classic TWill 2 games into his rookie season scenario.
  12. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,109 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    Okay... I did the math (including the 4 preseason games this season), Dunbar has touches 16 total touches -- counting rushes/ and receptions and has fumbled twice already. Small sample size I know but that is a fumble once every 8 times he touches the ball. Don't know about you guys but until he learns to secure the ball better I'd rather he not be on the field.
    erod likes this.
  13. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,681 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    Apparently you are.

If we're talking about 100 carries, then no, that's no big deal. But if you touch the ball 15 times and fumble twice, that is not good at all.

Turnovers are the biggest plays in games. I like Dunbar a lot, but if he fumbles again for no good reason, cut him.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,641 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    Come on. I'm thrilled we got Escobar over him or Eddie Lacy!:eek:

Ok, I'll shut it.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,560 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    I don't know how significant the issue really is, but this is apparently something Garrett addressed after Dunbar's fumble in KC (?) in the walk-off after his press conference. The walk-off is the one time the coach will share mostly off-the-record tidbits. JG said that that play was supposed to be his safe play, so it was a bigger deal for him that Dunbar didn't demonstrate the ball control he'd been drilled with. The comment was peppered with the usual Garrettisms...he's a young player, he's working hard, he just needs to learn the importance of keeping the football...but it was pretty clear that this was an issue of the player not doing what he was taught to do and needing more work on it in practice.

It's been several weeks since then, so it's reasonable to expect he's improved in this area. But I do think the offensive coaches, at least, recognized this was a case of a young guy needing to be drilled on the basics of four-pointing the ball in traffic and not just an isolated incident of a couple of fumbles that could happen to anybody.

I like Dunbar quite a bit, too, and think he's going to end up making his share of big plays for us this season. Hopefully, that'll start this week. But I wouldn't play a guy who can't show me in practice that he'll take care of the football, either. I'd rather have slow-as-death Joseph Randle out there protecting the ball than Daren-Sproles-Jr-with-Fumblities, if those were my only two choices.
    pugilist likes this.
  16. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,156 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Might want to work on the math. It's not much better, but he's had 22 touches counting the preseason. Still, it's too small of a sample size to say it's anything more than a couple bad plays.
  17. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,109 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    oh cool
  18. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,131 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    I'm kind of confused with that as well. I thought Dunbar has been hurt the majority of the season lol. He hasn't gotten enough reps to be "disappointed" in his performance lol.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,388 Messages
    3,674 Likes Received
    Who does he think he is playing for - the NY Giants?
    fifaguy likes this.
  20. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,054 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    Fumble prone. 2 fumbles out of 22 touches = fumble prone.