1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What's wrong with Keith Davis?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by the kid 05, Mar 19, 2006.

1. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    he played well enough for me last season, yeah if Mike Huff fell to us id take him, but who wouldn't? what does he do that has everyone not liking him?
  2. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He just does not cover well. He plays like a SS not a FS and we have plenty of SS already. Other than that I like him; he is a ST demon.
  3. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    He can't cover.
  4. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He is/was very raw...

he is started to see it at times...I think...question is..how long can we wait till he gets "it"
  5. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    just doesnt offer much in coverage...limited range and virtually no ball skills

we really need a FS who can go after the ball in the air

David
  6. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,268 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    If you would only look back at the first Washington game last season, you'll understand the importance of having a free safety like Davis providing deep cover against the likes of deep threats such as Moss. Cornerbacks can only do so much when your defensive line can't pressure the quarterback quickly enough.
  7. parchy

parchy Active Member

2,252 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    In every game he played in last season, you can find a glaring example out of Davis of why he shouldn't be anywhere near the defensive backfield.
  8. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    Davis is a poor man's version of Roy Williams. Less instinct, less quickness, less impact, less coverage ability .. and Roy isn't that great in coverage himself.
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,173 Messages
    2,800 Likes Received
    Exactly.

I would love a "Brock Marion" type.
  10. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,268 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    True. IMO, Roy is the He-Man of strong safeties. He can shut down the run as well as any linebacker, but his coverage skills have been average to date. All the more reason to get a free safety back there with him to offset his weakness.

The word 'weakness' and Roy Williams don't go well together, do they?
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,170 Messages
    4,348 Likes Received
    He isn't good enough and is the weak link on our D. He may be have been good enough for kowboys 05 but he wasn't near good enough for me.
  12. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I think Roy Williams is a great strong safety .. his only weakness in my opinion is his coverage ability which would be greatly helped by having a solid free safety behind him. Roy can cover underneath very well, he just doesn't have the speed to cover deep and he has trouble with speedy receivers running crossing patterns.
  13. MONT17

MONT17 New Member

3,269 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Keith Davis had ZERO picks last year... your FS has to get some... if he wouldve had one last year I might be like give him time, but he is too valueable on TEAMS... and I cant wait for him to shut skins fans up by knocking some pork fat off Randel El... I think with the last name Randel El he doesnt eat pork... so thats going to be some hittin!!!
  14. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,173 Messages
    2,800 Likes Received
    Please give me a FS that can cover a slot receiver. That would make our base 3-4 so much more effective.
  15. dal0789

dal0789 New Member

592 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    HAHAHAHA:laugh2:
  16. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,968 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    Part of Davis's problem was that Parcells needed him on ST and starting taking reps from him to better save him from being worn out but we do need a good FS and Brock Marion is n't what he once was.
  17. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,100 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I am a little puzzled about the distain for Keith Davis at fs myself. I am not sure any rookie would have played better. And he was a rookie,, in that spot. I personally think the man has skills and will flourish given time to learn. D.Ware for example.. showed signs of being a total beast,, and he showed signs of being a complete bust too. It takes time to learn a position at the NFL level. I am not sure drafting a rookie would provide any more benefits than a 2nd year player or provide any better upside. I just can't see wasting the athlethic ability of K. Davis only on ST. I think he can contribute more given the chance.
  18. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,769 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Keith Davis is much more of a SS type. His coverage skills are alot worse than most rookie FSs. Heck, Roy Williams covers skills were actually better in his rookie year.
  19. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,260 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    I used to say inexperience and that could still ring true for the most part. However the guy did not improve at all last year in coverage. I would of expected to of heard his name called in at least one pass break up/defended. Didn't happen. Didn't see any improvement at all honestly.
    I'd pay him a million a year for the ST though. Guy's an animal.

Maybe it'll happen this year.........who knows.
  20. twa

twa Active Member

1,053 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We can always hope,but if we can find someone with the instincts or ability to cover we ALL would feel more comfortable. The kid is out of position way too much,whether from bad reads or over aggressiveness:bang2: