1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What's your opinion of Jason Campbell?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Skinsmaniac, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Skinsmaniac

Skinsmaniac Boycotting Snyder since 2009

1,447 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A lot of jokes have been made about Quincy Campbell, but I am very happy with the way he has played this year. His stats this year:

81/124 (65.3%) for 878 yards, 6 tds, 0 turnovers, 7 sacks.

Most importantly, he has played very well in the fourth quarter:

26/36 (72.2%) for 350 yards, 2 tds.

Today he only went 3/4 for 19 yds in the fourth as we were able to run out the clock on the ground. My feeling is that he should be mentioned with Rodgers and Cutler as the cream of inexperienced QBs, but we have to wait a while longer to compare him to the Rivers, Romos, and Roethlisbergers. (And I realize that Romo doesn't have much more experience than Campbell, but I think he has already proven himself.)

Thoughts? Does anyone still think that that he is another Quincy Carter?
  2. jman

jman Active Member

1,765 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looked good today, that's for sure.

If he keeps it up, he will take the Skin's far.

Best division in Football...we all need the QB to step up and Jason did for you guys.
  3. Boysboy

Boysboy New Member

4,852 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here's what really impresses me about this kid...

He looked LOST under Gibbs' simple system.

However-he's learned Zorn's complex WCO system VERY quickly.

How did he make this transition so quickly? Was Gibbs holding him back? Was Saunders' playbook too complicated?
  4. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    I liked him at Auburn but think you paid too high a price to acquire him. He had a great game yesterday. I still think he is the 4th best QB in the division though. He's in very good company.
  5. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,856 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    He's really taking some steps this year. A QB who can make the necessary throws and doesn't turn it over is a QB that's going to win games for you.

Plus, it appears he's actually starting to make things happen more often now than he was in previous years.
  6. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I think the Saunders system is really starting to be exposed in St. Louis. And I was a HUGE fan of that system, but its obvious that its far too complex to look good in, unless you are Todd Collins, who has been running it for 10 years!

Along with that, Campbell is finally getting a QB coach with a pro QB pedigree in Zorn. Bill Lazor was his previous QB coach (Bill who?)

I still think it was a steep price also. If he is able to turn into a franchise QB, it'll be worth it, but 3 picks was an awful lot for a guy with decent stats his senior season

On an aside, I started to like the guy in the Sugar Bowl vs Virginia Tech. I went to the game, and the VT D had shut down the dual rushing attack of Brown and Williams. Campbell made the plays that got Auburn the close victory
  7. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he sucks so do the skins :skins:
  8. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,517 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    Jason Campbell sucks...
  9. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    ...do I really need to say it?
  10. KLJ

KLJ Member

250 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    campbell is great at those 3 yard passes they run over and over again. i'm amazed they still work so well
  11. Sonny#9

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    ...or that 53 yard bomb...you know, whichever...
  12. KLJ

KLJ Member

250 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    yea, i figured some redskin fan would focus on the exception rather than the rule.. i should have been more clear.. at least people with half a brain know what i am talking about..

the point is i am surprised more is not done to take those short passes away and make campbell make more dificult throws
  13. Sonny#9

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Or the fact that he had a higher YPA then Romo yesterday. But don't let that spoil your delusion.

Wait a sec...wasn't Campbell supposed to be a poor fit for the WCO? Wasn't his weakness the short and intermediate routes? I don't know about you, but I thought a 65% completion percentage on the year was pretty accurate...

And, well, since he pretty much carved up your secondary...what's that say?

Just like to add a disclaimer -- I really don't want to rub in this game, but really, dumb statements like this need to be smacked down from time-to-time.

The year is only 1/4th over and it's going to be a fun season. The NFC BEAST is back. Except MAYBE the AFC South, and NFC East team would win any other division in football. Hands down.
  14. KLJ

KLJ Member

250 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    most cowboys fan would admit that romo didn't have a good game yesterday but thanks for playing

this has nothing to do with me or the discussion.. you are grasping at this point. the fact that he is completing 65% only proves my point further.. :laugh2: thanks..

the only person making dumb statements is a redskin troll on this website.. you have yet to dispute my one statement which is he is getting away with an incredibly high percentage of short passes. you keep trying to dance around it which clearly shows you have nothing.. but most trolls usually have nothing
  15. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Sorry dude, but most of those passes weren't of the under 5 yards in the air variety.

In particular the plays to Moss. Moss averaged 18.6 yards per catch.

If you take away that 53 yarder, Moss would have had 13.1 yards per catch

So again, we have no clue what you are talking about in regards to nothing but 3 yard completions
  16. KLJ

KLJ Member

250 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    have you actuall watched all 4 redskins games this year? serious question

there is a reason campbell's ypa is way down in the league despite such a good completion %.
  17. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Yes. Every single snap. Have you?

Just a newsflash. It is called a WCO for a reason. Short passes to keep the chains moving then go up top when the defense is set up for the big play.

Worked perfectly yesterday
  18. KLJ

KLJ Member

250 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    yes.. zorn is a very good offensive coordinator.. he has designed a system in which the qb can make simple reads and short passes and is still very difficult to stop..
  19. BLEU3ASY

BLEU3ASY Member

738 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    against soft coverage it worked great!!!
  20. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Then it appears we agree. Campbell is playing to what the system is supposed to do. High percentage, get the ball in your playmakers hands, and when the opportunity is there get it downfield

And yes, that helps quite a bit. But do you think your DB's would have been able to stop Moss from going deep if they pressed him yesterday?